Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me to just stop and keep it simple - but I don't want TO! :-) - Plans 2016/2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me to just stop and keep it simple - but I don't want TO! :-) - Plans 2016/2017

Well...it must be this time of year that does it to me. I think I have it all "planned" for the following year and then I go crazy and decide on something else. Oldest finished MPK and is working through FSR E and we'll do the summer readers until we begin MP1 in the fall. However, I've still been eyeing other curricula because I would still like to see more American History. My daughter will be 7, so on the older side for 1st grade. I've chosen MP, because I feel it will prepare her the most if we ever need to send her to school. However, I know in the Enrichment there is still little American History. I'd also like a little more science, but nothing crazy or too formal. So, then it dawned on me, I could do MP1 for everything EXCEPT enrichment and do MP2 for Enrichment instead. I actually already own the art cards, enrichment guide, and patterns of nature. I feel like this would set us up to do MP2 the following year and add in the American History I would like to do (MODG 3rd grade) and the MP Mammals (and not do the Enrichment that year)! I feel like my daughter will be able to do the accelerated track, so she won't get to do it otherwise. We would then be set for a full MP3A core the following year.

...but am I still going to be doing to much and should I just stick to the core? :-) I really want that basic American History.

Lastly, my son. He will be 5 on September 1st. He totally misses the K cut-off in our state and I never considered doing MPK with him this year. In fact we have not formally done a thing with him this past year, yet he is still somehow learning! :-) He is ready to learn to read. After doing MPK this year, I know he wouldn't be ready for the "School" it requires. I had planned (and have most of the times I need) for Simply Classical C. I prefer it to Jr. K and I like that it is laid out already 4 days and includes FSRA at the end of the year. He is ready for R&S Math 1 though and he is ready to read. He is not ready to write....so.........what do ya do? I thought maybe SC1 might be better..and he could do an SC1/SC2 track and then MP1 (which puts him in the same place as my older daughter at that age)...but again, maybe trying to do too much.....
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Re: Tell me to just stop and keep it simple - but I don't want TO! :-) - Plans 2016/

Your post cracks me up, and feels VERY familiar!! My advice for what it's worth is stick with the core for 1st and add in some extra readers about American History. Especially her being a little older I think you can easily add more reading. We are finishing 1st and my daughter is always adding in her own reading. I don't know the other curriculum you talked about, but I know the "peace" of sticking with the core, and the stress that comes with panicking to get all the other ideas in. If you get extra fluff, you can do it or not do it depending on your day, maybe not carrying the guilt of extra "real" curriculum. Also its so easy find thematic ideas on pinterest that can be fun things to do.

As far as your son, I'm in a similar predicament. He turns 5 in December, so to start him in K goes against everything I stand for with little boys especially but him and my 1st grade dd are the youngest of my brood of 9 and I don't want them to be so far apart in school . He's been doing some JrK very casually so I'm going to plug away gently and see if I can make K work and just not demanding all of the writing. He is a focused boy so he might have the personality for it, but it also might be a train wreck and we stick with JrK through next year...

Not much help in this post, but good luck!!
    -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
    2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
    Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Re: Tell me to just stop and keep it simple - but I don't want TO! :-) - Plans 2016/

On young boys and K...my littlest guy is too young for a true K year next year (five in October) but I plan to enroll him in our cottage school K (because Angel said I could) and do a bit of it with him at home. Then, my plan is to repeat K with him the following year. I know he won't remember it enough to be disappointed and he's already been in a homeschool since birth so it's his culture. It will help me give him some of my focused day time. So K, then repeat K, is an option you can add to your hopper. It's the cheap-mom's way. ;-)
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2020-2021
      11th year HSing · 9th year MP
      @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
      11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Jessica, I had thought about calling my K attempt Preschool for everyone else and then there is not any pressure!
        -Amy

2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
        Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post

Lastly, my son. He will be 5 on September 1st. He totally misses the K cut-off in our state and I never considered doing MPK with him this year. In fact we have not formally done a thing with him this past year, yet he is still somehow learning! :-) He is ready to learn to read. After doing MPK this year, I know he wouldn't be ready for the "School" it requires. I had planned (and have most of the times I need) for Simply Classical C. I prefer it to Jr. K and I like that it is laid out already 4 days and includes FSRA at the end of the year. He is ready for R&S Math 1 though and he is ready to read. He is not ready to write....so.........what do ya do? I thought maybe SC1 might be better..and he could do an SC1/SC2 track and then MP1 (which puts him in the same place as my older daughter at that age)...but again, maybe trying to do too much.....
          Just looked over SC-C, it looks so amazing for an older 4 year old!! I'm rethinking this a bit. Tis the season I guess .
          -Amy

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
            On young boys and K...my littlest guy is too young for a true K year next year (five in October) but I plan to enroll him in our cottage school K (because Angel said I could) and do a bit of it with him at home. Then, my plan is to repeat K with him the following year. I know he won't remember it enough to be disappointed and he's already been in a homeschool since birth so it's his culture. It will help me give him some of my focused day time. So K, then repeat K, is an option you can add to your hopper. It's the cheap-mom's way. ;-)
            I am toying with the idea of doing this with my CURRENT K'er. She was a very brand new 5 at the start of this year, and while eager to learn, she definitely was not ready for the amount of writing and focus..she is a bouncing ball of imagination. We got 5 weeks into the year and I stopped everything. We picked it back up at after Christmas break and much better focus but her writing still continues to be a struggle. She is still trying to decide which hand to write with so that is part of the trouble. For the sake of a thorough foundation, I think I may repeat K next year with her, as I would like her to get the most of this amazing curriculum. I'm sure she would be OKAY moving to first, but I've come to realize that moving at a pace of mastery is much more important than fitting the mold (thanks to repeated advice from this wise forum And recently, her interest has flourished as she has grabbed some of her books and sat down to work all on her own. For some children, just those few months (or year) of maturity is all it takes!
            Katie

2020/21: 7th year with MP
            DS 16: 11th, MPOA Euro Hist I, CS III, Divine Comedy; Schole Geometry, Spanish; Catholic Social Teaching, A & P
            DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program; Catholic Social Teaching, VT Alg. 1
            DD 9: MP 5, Seton Religion and Spelling, MPOA: FF Latin, Fable
            Twin DD's 7: MP 2, Seton Religion and Phonics

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
              I am toying with the idea of doing this with my CURRENT K'er. She was a very brand new 5 at the start of this year, and while eager to learn, she definitely was not ready for the amount of writing and focus..she is a bouncing ball of imagination. We got 5 weeks into the year and I stopped everything. We picked it back up at after Christmas break and much better focus but her writing still continues to be a struggle. She is still trying to decide which hand to write with so that is part of the trouble. For the sake of a thorough foundation, I think I may repeat K next year with her, as I would like her to get the most of this amazing curriculum. I'm sure she would be OKAY moving to first, but I've come to realize that moving at a pace of mastery is much more important than fitting the mold (thanks to repeated advice from this wise forum And recently, her interest has flourished as she has grabbed some of her books and sat down to work all on her own. For some children, just those few months (or year) of maturity is all it takes!
              So now I dont feel so badly about letting my almost-four-year-old boy just sit and listen... He is soaking up knowledge like a little sponge, but the "teacher" in me wants to push his coloring, writing and cutting. I finally stopped pushing, though. He's THREE. I think four is better, and that might still be too early. (Why can't we moms just be patient and enjoy the season we're in? SHEESH!)

Anyway -- back to the original question:
              Howie: chill . Just do MP1 with your daughter. It's a lot of work on its own and the MP1 extra enrichment (beyond the basic read-alouds) has a TON of science.
              http://www.memoriapress.com/curricul...nrichment-sets
              I doubt anyone (with more than one student) could even get through all the material in one school year. And American History will come in 2nd grade, right? The library is a great resource until then. Why make things harder? (I say as someone who consistently makes things harder!)

Just my two cents.
              Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
              Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
              Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
              The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
              ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Stop and keep it simple! ...One MP core with nothing else added is enough 😉
                Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                DS -19 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
                DS -15 (9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
                DS -14 (7/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

I love to add to. Total confessed curriculum junkie here. There's a cute little book called Bede's History of US. It's American history for k and 1. One lesson a week. Short, simple, cheap and it would scratch your US history itch.

Please don't box my ears
                  Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                  DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                  DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                  Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                  Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                    I love to add to. Total confessed curriculum junkie here. There's a cute little book called Bede's History of US. It's American history for k and 1. One lesson a week. Short, simple, cheap and it would scratch your US history itch.

Please don't box my ears
                    "Reformed curriculum junkie here" - at least i would be keeping it with MP? :-)
                    Christine

(2019/2020)
                    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Working...
                    X