Classical Composition DVD's Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Composition DVD's Suggestion

I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm posting it here. Feel free to move it :-)

We've only used Fable and Narrative, so maybe the other levels are different. First, let me say that we LOVE the DVD's and wouldn't be able to do CC without them! However, since there are only links to each lesson, and each lesson spans many days, navigating them can be a bit of a pain at times because you have to fast forward through the lesson to find where you left off (especially as you near the end of the lesson). It would be so nice to have each lesson broken up into scenes that could either be displayed under each lesson in the menu (say, indented under each lesson so you can easily pick out the individual lessons) so you could choose where in the lesson to start? If it's not something that would be considered for the DVD's that have already been produced, could it be considered for future productions? I'll use them either way, but it would be so much easier to be able to select scenes within each lesson!
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
    ds 25, graduated
    dd 11th Grade
    dd 8th Grade
    ds 6th Grade

Re: Classical Composition DVD's Suggestion

I agree with Cheryl that it would be lovely to have more specific menu options.

My son found that sometimes he could advance through each lesson segment using a right arrow key. Have you tried that? I just checked my DVDs and it seems I can do this on Narrative and Chreia, but not Fable. For Fable it simply skips to the beginning of the next lesson. We watch the DVDs on an iMac, fwiw. I don't have any ideas of how you'd do that on a TV/DVD.
    Hope this helps!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
    DS Hillsdale College freshman
    DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
    DD 8th • HLN & Home
    DS 5th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
      I agree with Cheryl that it would be lovely to have more specific menu options.

My son found that sometimes he could advance through each lesson segment using a right arrow key. Have you tried that? I just checked my DVDs and it seems I can do this on Narrative and Chreia, but not Fable. For Fable it simply skips to the beginning of the next lesson. We watch the DVDs on an iMac, fwiw. I don't have any ideas of how you'd do that on a TV/DVD.
      Hope this helps!
      Thank you! We tried that in Fable and it would just skip to the next lesson, so we didn't think to try it in Narrative because the menu looked the same. We'll try it with our lesson today :-) We use a DVD player, but if the scenes are there (just not labeled in the menu), hitting the next button should do the same. IMHO, scene selection was the best thing about DVD's vs VHS, LOL!
      Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
      ds 25, graduated
      dd 11th Grade
      dd 8th Grade
      ds 6th Grade

Comment

I think we've fixed that on the later Stages once we started getting complaints about it. The Fable and Narrative will be fixed when we reprint, but I'm sorry to say that will be too late for you guys!

Tanya

Comment

This may be dependent on your DVD player, but I've found if I pause (vs. stop) the DVD at the end of the day's lesson, then eject, when I pop it in the next time it starts up where I left off. This has prevented us from having to fast forward all the way to the appropriate spot on the lesson. We play the DVDs on our Dell laptop, if that helps.
          DD 15 - MP 9

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
            I think we've fixed that on the later Stages once we started getting complaints about it. The Fable and Narrative will be fixed when we reprint, but I'm sorry to say that will be too late for you guys!

Tanya
            I'll check my Narrative DVD's this afternoon. Will this be fixed in Fable when it is reprinted this summer? It won't be soon enough for now, but I have other children ;-)
            Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
            ds 25, graduated
            dd 11th Grade
            dd 8th Grade
            ds 6th Grade

Comment

Originally posted by hermione310 View Post
              This may be dependent on your DVD player, but I've found if I pause (vs. stop) the DVD at the end of the day's lesson, then eject, when I pop it in the next time it starts up where I left off. This has prevented us from having to fast forward all the way to the appropriate spot on the lesson. We play the DVDs on our Dell laptop, if that helps.
              Thanks, but I think ours only does this if the DVD is left in. We don't watch them on our computer.
              Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
              ds 25, graduated
              dd 11th Grade
              dd 8th Grade
              ds 6th Grade

Comment

We are reprinting the Fable dvds this summer, but not the Narrative. And we will make the change with the reprint.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                  We are reprinting the Fable dvds this summer, but not the Narrative. And we will make the change with the reprint.

Tanya
                  My daughter just put in Narrative and said when she clicked on Lesson 1 that it took her to another menu that listed the different scenes (yesterday she just clicked on Introduction and kept listening into Lesson 1, so she never clicked Lesson 1). So, it seems like Narrative has been fixed. Now I'll just have to replace Fable :-)
                  Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
                  ds 25, graduated
                  dd 11th Grade
                  dd 8th Grade
                  ds 6th Grade

Comment

Working...
                  X