Semi-colons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi-colons

When does the EGR series cover when/how to properly use semi-colons? My daughter is 13 and in 7M with EGR4. She is also taking Middle School Comp 2 through the online academy. They have papers due every other week and a punctuation quiz on weeks that there is no paper due. My daughter has really only used the EGR series (no rod and staff) and so far I can't really find information about semi-colons when I look in the back of the EGR 4 book at the style sheets. The class hasn't really covered grammar, it seems to be assumed that they have learned it, and all that is provided are some slides with rules. What I am looking for is some practice applying the rules for semi-colons and colons. Has it been covered in rod and staff 7 or 8? Just trying to figure out where I dropped the ball along the way. Thanks!

Dorinda
    Dorinda

Plans for 2022-2023
    16th year homeschooling, 13th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Sophomore
    DS 11th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata, MPOA Divine Comedy
    DS 9th grade - Vita Beata Literature/Classical Studies
    DS 4th grade - 4A with Right Start F, Second Form Latin, AAS 5

Re: Semi-colons

Dorinda,

You've stumped us. We don't know why semi-colons aren't in there either. It may be because Martin and Cheryl don't like them and don't use them. Every now and then, you will find a semi-colon in a Martin article because I sneak it in purely from meanness, knowing he dislikes them. I personally am a fan of semi-colons; I think they are the perfect segue to a connecting thought without the harshness of a period. They are a softer option when you have connecting points that need to flow.

Anyway, I guess we need to add a rule in there about them. R&S 8 does cover semi-colons, so you will eventually get there.

Thanks for pointing this out to us!

Tanya

Comment

Working...
    X