Sort of OT: What are y'all reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sort of OT: What are y'all reading?

[QUOTE=OrthodoxHandmaiden;63707]I know, right? First rule of my library: My books must never see me naked. Second rule: They must never be exposed to water. Or sticky fingers. Or mud.

Even though it may get me kicked out of this book club, I must admit I have no rules regarding my books. They are read everywhere...a good book with a cup of soup at lunch on a cold day is amazing! My children have all picked up this habit and my kitchen table is littered with the comics from Sunday and probably a dozen other books. We won’t even talk about Pat the Bunny... *hangs head in shame.*

Heidi

P.S. I actually do have one rule; toddlers may not tear pages out of books.
    Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
      I wondered if the translation might explain some of the issues I have with the book. Two things I've made note of wouldn't have much to do with that...but others might. (Trying SO HARD not to give spoilers!)
      Thanks for the reminder that this was originally published in Spanish.

I'm surprised this didn't garner much conversation at your book club! The pastries alone have given me 10 minutes' worth of comments! *lol!*
      I think the story goes misunderstood or not fully appreciated unless you value certain things. I can add more when the discussion officially begins I do think my book club enjoyed the quaintness of the life described, but most of them probably hadn't considered the lifestyle presented in the book as anything other than a dream world. Homeschoolers are used to imagining another way of doing things.
      2019-20
      DS--9, 3M/4M
      DD--7, mix of 1 and 2
      DD--5, MP K
      DS--3
      DS--1

Comment

Originally posted by Emilylovesbooks View Post
        Sarah, I admired how you were willing to discuss KL, even if you didn't like it much! Your comments still have me contemplating that story. I'm really thankful you were brave enough to back up a less popular opinion of it--and you did it so tactfully. I hope you have time to get to Miss Prim
        I agree! Book discussions aren't that much fun when everyone swoons!
        Catherine

2020-21
        DS17
        DS15
        DS13
        DD13
        DS8
        DD5
        DS 2.5

Homeschooling 4 with MP
        2 in classical school

Comment

Thanks, guys! <3

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 8
          DD, 6
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

Fine. Since we're baring our souls here, I might as well also make it public that I went so far as to look up the KL books on Amazon...but couldn't pull the trigger because I couldn't stand the cover on "The Wrath". It reminded me of a *slightly* higher class Harlequin Romance novel. That, my friends, is why I still haven't read anything about Kristen Lavransdatter.

**The cover on the trilogy is quite pretty; however, all it took was one negative review about the tiny print for me to boot that one out of my cart, too.**

I'm just waiting for Tanya to offer to loan me her KL books with plain covers, knowing I'll balk because they've been in the bathtub with her. *howls with laughter*
            Is it weird to quote your own post? Or to ask questions aloud in an empty room, for that matter?

Meh, anyway, a dear friend has given me a clean copy (read: has never been in her bathtub) of the entire KL series...and the cover is beautiful. <3 If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go hibernate until:
            1. I finish the book
            or
            2. October 30th rolls around (so that I can come here and offer my many thoughts about Miss Prudencia Prim).
            Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
            DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
            DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Is it weird to quote your own post? Or to ask questions aloud in an empty room, for that matter?

Meh, anyway, a dear friend has given me a clean copy (read: has never been in her bathtub) of the entire KL series...and the cover is beautiful. <3 If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go hibernate until:
              1. I finish the book
              or
              2. October 30th rolls around (so that I can come here and offer my many thoughts about Miss Prudencia Prim).
              Glad you got a copy that doesn't look like a romance novel. 😊 But, if you can, find the three introductions to the three separate Penguin editions. They give so much background information that increased my appreciation of the book a hundredfold. Especially the third one that describes all the source material Undset is drawing on from Icelandic and Norse mythology and medieval courtly literature. We never got around to talking about all that on the thread here, but the way she synthesized her culture's pagan material with a Christian worldview is actually why I think she won the Nobel Prize.

Enjoy!!
              Catherine

2020-21
              DS17
              DS15
              DS13
              DD13
              DS8
              DD5
              DS 2.5

Homeschooling 4 with MP
              2 in classical school

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                Almost half way through Kristin #2. Just had to add that...goal: finish the trilogy before Christmas. With all that's on my plate, that's pretty bold!
                Goals 2017: Started KL in January, finished in December (last night).
                I know you finished well before Christmas, P&G, but I enjoyed my slow read this year. Also got up early to read the KL discussion thread... Appreciated Catherine's take. And thanks to KF2000 for sparking thought-provoking discussion.
                Cindy Davis
                Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
                ds-26 college graduate: independent young adult
                ds-24 college graduate: 3rd year med school
                dd-22 college graduate: working as a registered nurse

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
                  Goals 2017: Started KL in January, finished in December (last night).
                  I know you finished well before Christmas, P&G, but I enjoyed my slow read this year. Also got up early to read the KL discussion thread... Appreciated Catherine's take. And thanks to KF2000 for sparking thought-provoking discussion.
                  I just finished KL last week! I read the Nunnally translation and I'm now ready to read the original (Archer's) translation...except that I made a pact with my husband (New Year's resolution) to purchase NO books this year, aside from MP curriculum, so I am working with my library's ILL system to try to track down a copy. If they don't come through, I'll have to convince the folks at my local HPB to barter with me.

**Imagining that conversation..."Hi, yeah, I really want this book but I'm not allowed to spend cash on it so, um, *digs around in oversize bag* would you take this quilt in exchange for it? Or maybe this partially eaten tin of Christmas candy? Why? Well, um, I kind of promised my husband that I wouldn't buy any books this year and he doesn't think I can stick to it and I need to prove him wrong because I'm kind of competitive like that but I just really want to read this translation to compare it to the other translation and...sir? Hello? Why are you walking away from me?"**

I really wish I'd thought to snag a used copy on Amazon before the clock struck twelve on Sunday...
                  Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Seriously? No more books? Is Dan crazy? I need to talk him out of this. How are you going to explain to Books & Blooms? When you disappear from our booth, how will I know to find you if I can't look there?

I have the other translation. I'll mail it to you next week when I get back from SC - where you won't be!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                      Seriously? No more books? Is Dan crazy?
                      1. yes
                      2. yes, but only for a year
                      3. yes, that's why I adore him <3

I need to talk him out of this. How are you going to explain to Books & Blooms? When you disappear from our booth, how will I know to find you if I can't look there?
                      Please! I'll still be there shooting the breeze with Jan and Gary! Wait, I mean, talking about MP and sending people to our booth when they finish their BB transactions...
                      I just can't *buy* anything.

I have the other translation. I'll mail it to you next week when I get back from SC - where you won't be!
                      1. No! I mean, I appreciate the offer, but I'm supposed to use the library and not my credit card. I'm also not supposed to beg people for stuff, either. There is a "no begging" clause. *LOL*
                      2. I know, I know. I'm missing the SC regional conference so that I can spend a delightful 16 hours in the car with 3 kids and my mother-in-law to go see B's team in Memphis.
                      Oh, the adventure! The stories! The money spent on Excedrin! (instead of books...)
                      Last edited by Mary; 01-02-2018, 04:02 PM. Reason: subject verb disagreement. Had to intervene before things got ugly.
                      Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

But the chance to meet up with the Kaye's.....priceless!

AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        2020-2021
                        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                        DS, 16
                        DD, 14
                        DD, 12
                        DD, 10
                        DD, 8
                        DD, 6
                        +DS+