Box Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box Day!

Yippee! Box Day! The kids and I dove in to next year's cores with excitement (yes, we're that annoying family) and it was so much fun to organize our shiny new books into bins, just waiting for us to use them this fall. However, we were disappointed that there was no calendar enclosed to replace our MP 2015 calendar, hanging forlornly over the printer in the homeschool room. Was that a last-year-only thing? Or is Mrs. Lowe punishing me for all the ear-boxing comments?
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Re: Box Day!

*Tanya, I am going to man up and take the heat for this one*

Mary, in our marketing meeting this year I claimed that most people no longer use paper calendars and that they wouldn't be missed. Considering you are the 6th person to mention it, I feel like that statement is still pretty accurate when compared with how many we gave away. However, Tanya continues to remind me daily that she will have to use an ugly calendar after March because I said she couldn't do another one. So blame me and box my ears the next time you see me!

Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Academy Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Mary,

Thank you for bringing this up, and feel free to continue mentioning it.

Tanya

Comment

Hold on: THERE'S NO MORE PAPER CALENDARS?! My vision of Memoria has been tarnished -- TARNISHED!!! *sniffle* And I thought you guys cared...

(I don't use a paper calendar. That's what my iPhone calendar is for. Just following orders.)
        “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Wonder Boy 14 ... MP5 + R&S Math 6
        Joy Bubble 12 ... MP5 full core
        Cowboy 10 ... MP5 + R&S Math 4
        Sassafras 6 ... MP1
        All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

*GASP!* You do know that we classical people tend to lean toward things that gather dust, like paper calendars and leather-bound books, right? You do understand that we enjoy being surrounded by beauty, even when doing such mundane tasks as checking the date, correct? You can appreciate that we are creatures of habit who don't handle change very well, entiendes? We're basically a bunch of Hobbits sitting around reading great books, waiting for second-breakfast and marking off the days on our MP calendars festooned with photos of Smaug. Well, perhaps I'm speaking only for my husband and myself. *LOL*

In an act of defiance, I'm leaving up my 2015 calendar. I'll re-mark the days. It will stay there until MP publishes another calendar. Hmph. *crosses arms, glares at Paul*
          Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Anita,

I am glad that you have come to see the light of the beauty of digital calendars.

And let not this conversation be a tarnish on our reputation! We still believe in beauty--in tangible beauty--but we are looking to produce that beauty in a way that is lasting and useful. Did you get a Christmas CD this year? I for one think that was quite beautiful

Paul
            Paul Schaeffer
            --
            Academy Director

Comment

Mary,

You convince Tanya to print leather bound books and I will start encouraging her to do calendars again!
              Paul Schaeffer
              --
              Academy Director

Comment

I'm all for technology and I used an online calendar but I still NEED my paper calendar. The online calendar beeps to remind me of things. But I need to SEE the dates and events on a calendar to "feel" how everything relates.
                Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                DS, 21, Physics and math major
                DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
                DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
                DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
                  Anita,

I am glad that you have come to see the light of the beauty of digital calendars.

And let not this conversation be a tarnish on our reputation! We still believe in beauty--in tangible beauty--but we are looking to produce that beauty in a way that is lasting and useful. Did you get a Christmas CD this year? I for one think that was quite beautiful

Paul
                  Indeed. Can a paper calendar alert me pleasantly on the day of an event? Can it calculate my drive time to an appointment and alert me (again, pleasantly) so that I do not arrive late? Can a paper calendar be shared -- a mere two taps -- with my nearest and dearest? Can I upload a paper calendar with driving directions, a related URL or even a signature bit of vital information -- all available across multiple devices? No, it just looks pretty on the wall. And aren't we supposed to be conserving resources?! THINK OF THE TREES, PEOPLE.

Ya' could just design the calendar and make it available to print at home as a complimentary PDF. Best a' both worlds. ...And Tanya would have something to do...

(Do I get a free CD now? ... No? ... How bout second breakfast? *Mmmm... Second breakfast...)
                  Last edited by Anita; 01-14-2016, 04:04 PM.
                  “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                  Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                  All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
                    I'm all for technology and I used an online calendar but I still NEED my paper calendar. The online calendar beeps to remind me of things. But I need to SEE the dates and events on a calendar to "feel" how everything relates.
                    Amen.

(The forum says I need to post ten characters, so I can't just say "amen". I have to post this silly addendum along with it.)
                    Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
                      Mary,

You convince Tanya to print leather bound books and I will start encouraging her to do calendars again!
                      Eureka! I've got it!

LEATHER BOUND CALENDARS
                      Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
                        Eureka! I've got it!

LEATHER BOUND CALENDARS
                        What was this thread about again?

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                        Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                        All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

I will be the 7th person to mention it, even though I haven't ordered for next year yet.

Should I also mention my sweet, sweet son who came by my desk yesterday and looked up adoringly at the wall and asked, "Is that from Mr. Popper's Penguins?"*

I mean, he didn't say that looking at the calendar made him super excited to study the book, but it was implied.

*That really happened, by the way, but I think he might have been asking me detailed questions about the calendar in order to avoid having to go back to his own desk to work.
                          Jodi
                          ~~~~~~~
                          2019-20 School Year:
                          Ethan (7A)
                          Matthew (5A)
                          Silas (1st)
                          Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
                          Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

I'll be the 8th person to mention it! I still use a paper calendar...actually, I use numerous paper calenders (my MP wall calender, my Extraordinary Form, beautiful Catholic Calendar from Saints Galore, my day planner, and oh yeah, my other day planner.) Technically, I guess losing my MP calendar wouldn't be the end of the world. It's not like I don't have a back-up plan, but I just want to put my vote in for paper. While I'm at it, I will make my request for leather bound books, or at least hardcover literature books. Every time my children read an MP literature book, I have to go out and buy them the hard cover copy, because they just have to have it for their personal libraries. They are very picky (as it their mama) about not having softcover books on the shelf. As my daughter says, they just don't look the same as hardcovers when arranged neatly on a bookshelf.

Melisa
                            Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 11 years

dd - 11th grade using MP
                            ds - 9th grade using MP and Kolbe Academy

Comment

Originally posted by MelisaBurke View Post
                              I'll be the 8th person to mention it! I still use a paper calendar...actually, I use numerous paper calenders (my MP wall calender, my Extraordinary Form, beautiful Catholic Calendar from Saints Galore, my day planner, and oh yeah, my other day planner.) Technically, I guess losing my MP calendar wouldn't be the end of the world. It's not like I don't have a back-up plan, but I just want to put my vote in for paper. While I'm at it, I will make my request for leather bound books, or at least hardcover literature books. Every time my children read an MP literature book, I have to go out and buy them the hard cover copy, because they just have to have it for their personal libraries. They are very picky (as it their mama) about not having softcover books on the shelf. As my daughter says, they just don't look the same as hardcovers when arranged neatly on a bookshelf.

Melisa
                              Yes! The more beautiful or classic the book, the more I want (need!) it in hardcover. I'm okay with flimsy softcover books for science enrichment but I can't handle something like a gorgeously illustrated book or a work of great literature in softcover form. And your daughter is so right - softcovers just don't look that pretty when displayed on a shelf.

BTW - Alibris has a coupon code for $8 off a $60 purchase, they have tons of books that are eligible for free shipping AND they have Jim Weiss CDs (new!) for between $11 and $13. Free shipping + coupon + good prices = cheaper than Amazon with Prime status. Sadly, they do not carry MP calendars. *LOL*
                              Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Working...
                              X