Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Read-Aloud Revival Podcast with Martin Cothran: Dads, Boys, & Family Book Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read-Aloud Revival Podcast with Martin Cothran: Dads, Boys, & Family Book Culture

Ear candy just showed up in my email inbox!! Martin Cothran is the new featured guest on Sarah MacKenzie's Read-Aloud Revival podcast.

RAR #38: On Dads, Boys & the Importance of Building a Family Culture Around Books, Martin Cothran
    From the site: "What might a dad’s role be in a read-aloud home? And how can books shape our boys into the men we hope they’ll become? On today’s show, Martin Cothran from Memoria Press chats with me about just that."

As a bonus, there appears to be an upcoming interview with Cheryl Swope on "Reading to Kids with Special Needs." The image is on the podcast page, but there's no link yet. We'll wait for that with anticipation!

Enjoy!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
    DS Hillsdale College freshman
    DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
    DD 8th • HLN & Home
    DS 5th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Re: Read-Aloud Revival Podcast with Martin Cothran: Dads, Boys, & Family Book Culture

Awesome! Thanks for sharing .
    -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
    2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
    Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Re: Read-Aloud Revival Podcast with Martin Cothran: Dads, Boys, & Family Book Culture

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
      Ear candy just showed up in my email inbox!! Martin Cothran is the new featured guest on Sarah MacKenzie's Read-Aloud Revival podcast.
      All I can picture is Mr. Cothran telling us at the gathering last year how his kids have threatened to make him sit at the table and listen to the "Twilight" series when he is a wheelchair-bound old man. *cracks up laughing*

I am excited about this! Thanks for sharing!
      Last edited by Mary; 01-12-2016, 02:51 PM. Reason: Ack! Grammar!
      Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I love the RAR podcast! So excited to listen to this episode!
        2019-20
        DS--9, 3M/4M
        DD--7, mix of 1 and 2
        DD--5, MP K
        DS--3
        DS--1

Comment

Mary, Yes! I kept waiting for that line, too. I wonder if he said it and it was edited out. What a great image. Haha!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
          DS Hillsdale College freshman
          DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
          DD 8th • HLN & Home
          DS 5th • HLN & Home
          Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
          Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

I just listened to it.. wonderful!
            Katie

DS 18, DD 15, DD 12, twin DDs 9

Comment

It was indeed wonderful!
              Des
              3 graduates (used LC1&2, Traditional Logic)
              G (4th grade using old MP core 3, GSWL, Strayer-Upton book 2)
              S (9th grade Abeka US History, Abeka Themes in Literature, Henle Latin w/MP guide, Systematic Mathematics w/LOF, Anatomy and Physiology, Art of Argument)

Comment

A few thoughts on Mr. Cothran's interview (which was splendid!):

1. I appreciate that he repeated some of what we heard at Sodalitas last year - that he was not necessarily a great student and that much of his real education began when he decided on his own to begin to read. This is reassuring to people like me whose yearning for a classical education was really ignited later in life. The fact that I was not classically educated doesn't mean that I can't acquire the skills to give it to my children - it is something that is available to everyone.

2. I like that he mentioned his teacher who read some of the Little House books. Even though it it didn't change his life at that time, it did inspire him to at least want to finish the series. I likened this to the lighting of a match - while she didn't ignite the flame, she had struck the match and formed a little smoke. It was almost ready to be lit. It makes me happy to know that even if I don't ignite passion in my children with every little thing I do, I am striking the match. Who knows at what point something I've done in the past will be recalled by my child(ren) in the future?

3. Again, I want to shout from the rooftops everything he said about listening to books that are above a child's reading/comprehension level. I was NEVER exposed to Shakespeare until high school and, by that time, I (like everyone else) was terrified of him. Same for Sophocles and Milton. I got nearly nothing out of reading Antigone or Paradise Lost because I was too busy complaining about how "hard" it was to read them. The kids love Shakespeare! I read selections from Charles & Mary Lamb and we have the complete set of Bruce Coville's works. Both are written in a way that children can understand without watering down the language (and Coville's are just gorgeously illustrated!). They are NOT AFRAID of him! In fact, they LIKE him! We, like many of you who are in 4A, finished the full version of the Prince and the Pauper. The kids enjoyed it! Sure, I had to explain a lot of things to them, but they were surrounded by the beauty of the language that is very different from what they hear every day. If we keep exposing children to these things, we help to form their taste and they are much better able to appreciate and seek out good literature. They are also not intimidated by that which is foreign or new. Oh, I could go on and on...

4. It was so reassuring to hear that he reads to his wife! Just yesterday, I felt an overwhelming sadness because my baby boy now wears a men's shoe size, my sweet little curly-headed toddler is now eleven and shopping in the junior section (and complaining that they clothes aren't "nearly as pretty" as the little girls' selections) and the baby of the family is sounding out three-letter words. Time flies, life is short and one of my fondest duties as homeschooling mother is reading to my children. While I do look forward to watching my little chicks leave the nest and form families of their own, it makes me sad to think that the next eleven years will blow by just as quickly as the the last eleven...and I will lose my favorite job. After listening to this podcast, you can be sure that as an empty-nester, I will torture my husband by following him around and reading various and sundry selections to him...until I have grandchildren. Then I will park myself on the couch and read my grandbabies obnoxious books like Captain Underpants, just to get back at their parents for the endless years of complaining about eating vegetables and finishing literature workbook lessons. *cracks up laughing*
                Last edited by Mary; 01-15-2016, 01:52 PM.
                Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I plan on listening to this over the weekend with my husband. He appreciates the irony in the fact that I read to our boys all the time, yet...wait for it...I absolutely LOATHE being read to. Even a podcast is a challenge for me. I fully own my weirdness, but I'm so glad my boys didn't inherit it!

Tracy
                  Tracy
                  My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
                  MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

Working...
                  X