Dawn
    Son and Daughter (twins) 8, MP Second Grade 2016-2017
    Completed Jr. Kindergarten, Kindergarten, First Grade
    Son 22, Corrections Officer, Marching Band Horn line Instructor
    Daughter 17, PS, 3rd year Marching Band, 1st Flute

Comment

Re: Teacher Training/Sodalitas Gathering

Originally posted by hermione310 View Post

I'd love a hotel recommendation. Particularly if others attending the conference are staying there. I've attended conferences and gone back to my room to hibernate afterward (which is also delicious in a way), but wouldn't mind bumping into others staying in the same place. : )

Susan
      Most of us stayed at the Country Inn & Suites (One of the hotels suggested by MP) for Sodalitas last year. I, personally, liked it. They had a cozy reception area where we sat and chatted into the wee hours each night and the rooms were comfortable, clean and cheap. There's a nice breakfast each morning that comes with the price of your room. My roommate (JodiSue - best roommate evah!) and I shared a king suite and I slept in the living room. I never heard a peep in the hallway, so if you're a person who needs to hibernate in peace and quiet, I think that hotel is a good choice.
      Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I also wanted to say about Country Inn & Suites that they have refrigerators in the rooms. I don't know if that is standard practice in all the hotel options, but it was a life-saver for me because I have to take "safe food" wherever I go. Also, the manager provided hard boiled eggs just for lil' ol' me when I asked. They were very kind and helpful.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Also, one difference between last year's Sodalitas and this year's SG/TT is that MP will be serving us a continental breakfast in a little eat and chat time before the opening each morning. I guess that means if you get hotel breakfast you can have TWO breakfasts. All the Hobbits are rejoicing!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
          DS Hillsdale College freshman
          DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
          DD 8th • HLN & Home
          DS 5th • HLN & Home
          Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
          Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
            Most of us stayed at the Country Inn & Suites (One of the hotels suggested by MP) for Sodalitas last year. I, personally, liked it. They had a cozy reception area where we sat and chatted into the wee hours each night and the rooms were comfortable, clean and cheap. There's a nice breakfast each morning that comes with the price of your room. My roommate (JodiSue - best roommate evah!) and I shared a king suite and I slept in the living room. I never heard a peep in the hallway, so if you're a person who needs to hibernate in peace and quiet, I think that hotel is a good choice.
            This is great to know -- off to reserve!

Thank you as well Sarah and Jessica for the notes about the refrigerator and breakfast. Great to know. I'm so happy to be able to make it this year. I have yet to meet another parent that uses MP (in person, anyway), and meeting with a community in the flesh is exciting.

Susan
            DD 15 - MP 9

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
              Also, one difference between last year's Sodalitas and this year's SG/TT is that MP will be serving us a continental breakfast in a little eat and chat time before the opening each morning. I guess that means if you get hotel breakfast you can have TWO breakfasts. All the Hobbits are rejoicing!
              Didn't we have breakfast last year, too? Or did I just eat all the fruit that was supposed to be for display?
              Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
              DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
              DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
              DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
              DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
              DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                Didn't we have breakfast last year, too? Or did I just eat all the fruit that was supposed to be for display?
                Girl, that was "snack." I have a family member with diabetes, so I always try to think beyond just the Peppermint Patties--though those were absolutely scrumptious!
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
                DS Hillsdale College freshman
                DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
                DD 8th • HLN & Home
                DS 5th • HLN & Home
                Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
                Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                  HAHAHA! You ate the still life Mrs. Lowe had set up for the art appreciation portion of Sodalitas.

In all seriousness, the breakfast at CI&S was really quite nice. Since my diet is so restricted, it was nice to be able to eat a hearty plate of eggs and sausage each morning. Wait...was that buffet supposed to feed everyone at my hotel, too? *cracks up laughing*
                  Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

HAHAHA! You ate the still life Mrs. Lowe had set up for the art appreciation portion of Sodalitas.

In all seriousness, the breakfast at CI&S was really quite nice. Since my diet is so restricted, it was nice to be able to eat a hearty plate of eggs and sausage each morning. Wait...was that buffet supposed to feed everyone at my hotel, too? *cracks up laughing*
                    I KNOW I took in more than my fair share of Peppermint Patties. The oranges were to 'balance' my less than stellar diet choices. But who can blame me? The children weren't there, so I didn't have to share!

And, like Mary, I do LOVE breakfast. Especially biscuits and gravy.
                    Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
                    DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
                    DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                    DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
                    DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
                    DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

I would love to attend, and would also like to do the 4th form pre-conference.

It's all pending on whether or not we go see my inlaws that week though.
                      Fingers crossed that it works out!

Comment

If anyone else is in your shoes too, and is wondering if it is "worth it" to try and make it work, I just wanted to reiterate how lovely it has been to have faces and personalities behind all these usernames. Homeschooling is the main occupation of my life right now, so being able to share that with others has mostly been possible through this forum, and the lovely folks who hang out here. I hope you are able to make it work!

AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        2020-2021
                        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                        DS, 17
                        DD, 15
                        DD, 13
                        DD, 11
                        DD, 9
                        DD, 7
                        +DS+
                        DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                          If anyone else is in your shoes too, and is wondering if it is "worth it" to try and make it work, I just wanted to reiterate how lovely it has been to have faces and personalities behind all these usernames. Homeschooling is the main occupation of my life right now, so being able to share that with others has mostly been possible through this forum, and the lovely folks who hang out here. I hope you are able to make it work!

AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          I agree wholeheartedly. I went last year after having lurked around here for awhile and came away refreshed, energized and comforted by the knowledge that the faces behind these screen names are really beautiful, wonderful people - both the MP staff and fellow homeschooling families. Also, I was able to have questions answered that I didn't even know to ask. Being around people with different insights, thought processes and experience levels helped me to look at my teaching from a very different perspective. It's why I'm trying so hard to make it back this year - it is definitely time and money well spent. Think of it as professional development for homeschooling mamas.
                          Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly. I went last year after having lurked around here for awhile and came away refreshed, energized and comforted by the knowledge that the faces behind these screen names are really beautiful, wonderful people - both the MP staff and fellow homeschooling families. Also, I was able to have questions answered that I didn't even know to ask. Being around people with different insights, thought processes and experience levels helped me to look at my teaching from a very different perspective. It's why I'm trying so hard to make it back this year - it is definitely time and money well spent. Think of it as professional development for homeschooling mamas.
                            Wait -- are you saying there's a chance???
                            Jodi
                            ~~~~~~~
                            2019-20 School Year:
                            Ethan (7A)
                            Matthew (5A)
                            Silas (1st)
                            Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
                            Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

Originally posted by JodiSue View Post
                              Wait -- are you saying there's a chance???
                              There is a chance. I am working on it.

What are your chances? I've been working on my routine and I'm happy to say that I can be showered, dressed, pants bloused, boots laced and sock bun in the hair in 20 minutes. Just think of what I can do in a hotel room with civilian clothes!

I really hope we can both get there again this year. If I am able to go, it just won't be the same without you as my partner in crime, er, roommate!
                              Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

There is a chance. I am working on it.

What are your chances? I've been working on my routine and I'm happy to say that I can be showered, dressed, pants bloused, boots laced and sock bun in the hair in 20 minutes. Just think of what I can do in a hotel room with civilian clothes!

I really hope we can both get there again this year. If I am able to go, it just won't be the same without you as my partner in crime, er, roommate!
                                I think I will know in May or maybe not till early June. That may be cutting it too close to be able to register. Hubby has no idea what his new work schedule or job will be like (that's the military for ya!). He's committed to me going if work allows him the time off.

I have an idea, I will pull out some of my old Air Force BDUs and we can show up as twins!! That would not be weird at all.
                                Jodi
                                ~~~~~~~
                                2019-20 School Year:
                                Ethan (7A)
                                Matthew (5A)
                                Silas (1st)
                                Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
                                Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

Working...
                                X