Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Teacher Training/Sodalitas Gathering

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
    I was kind of dragging my feet to register, does Sodalitas sell out?
    I hope not! Due to a move and new job for DH, if I'm able to go again it will be a last minute registration. I probably won't know until a month or so beforehand if I can go.
    Jodi
    ~~~~~~~
    2019-20 School Year:
    Ethan (7A)
    Matthew (5A)
    Silas (1st)
    Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
    Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

Re: Hotels...

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
      Dianna, Tell me more! They have so many locations...which one is closest to HLS?
      It's the Middletown location on their website -- and here it is on the map. When Brett takes Rachel to school, he drops her off and then works at HB.
      Last edited by DiannaKennedy; 02-20-2016, 01:44 PM.
      Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
      DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
      DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
      DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
      DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
      DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
        I don't have a basement (those don't exist in Texas) but I do have a spare bedroom with its own private bath and a son your baby's age. I think we could all get along for 12 weeks.

Mary, you get all the credit for offering. We usually descend on my dad and stepmom since they have lots of room and two little yapping dogs (which provides my youngest with a dog fix - Whew! Dodged that bullet). But, here's something funny: they live in TX. Well, they do for half the year. The summer months, which we will need shelter for, they live in my hometown in IL, so that is my usual destination.

Even though I am a devout Catholic, I have these strange "too coincidental" dreams and such. Last night I was dreaming that "you", Momgineer, and I were at Sodalitas, all in a corner talking a mile a minute and loving every moment of it. Do what you will with that, esp since the three of us may *not* be making it to the shindig.

Jen, who has long experience in not sulking if she doesn't get to go. However, has anyone answered my question? WHEN is the drop dead to register?!?!?!
        DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Jen,

There is no final deadline. We will continue to accept registrations until we hit our max of 250 teachers and homeschoolers - and we aren't close yet, so you have some time!

Tanya

Comment

Is there a schedule somewhere? I'm sure we'll all just love eachother and gabbing about our schooling and all, but if a girl wanted to take advantage of time sans small ankle-biters and do some sight-seeing, is there time for that?

Anybody up for Churchill Downs / Louiseville Slugger? Any other suggestions?
            DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
            DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
            DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
            Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
            Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
              Is there a schedule somewhere? I'm sure we'll all just love eachother and gabbing about our schooling and all, but if a girl wanted to take advantage of time sans small ankle-biters and do some sight-seeing, is there time for that?

Anybody up for Churchill Downs / Louiseville Slugger? Any other suggestions?
              Local lady chiming in ......
              Churchill Downs will not be having live racing that week -- but the Derby Museum will be open. I've actually never been to the Slugger Museum. The Speed Art Museum will be open again then (hooray!) and will be free on Sundays. I'm fairly sure the days of Sodalitas run from 8-5 ish. Our days are LONG in the summer, not getting dark until at least 9pm. My kids love it!

I think our parks are FANTASTIC, personally. There really are loads of things to do while you're here if you want to build another day into your visit. We love eating along the river in the summer .... although I'll have to get back with you about places. Tumbleweed is closed, and I don't care for Joe's Crab Shack. Maybe Paul, Tanya or Michael can chime in. Sometimes, my idea of fun is slanted toward child friendly venues.

I can't recall what part of the country you're located, but it will be HOT and muggy here in July. Although people like Mary (orthodoxhandmaiden) probably loved it, compared to TX heat.

I realize that this rambling response probably wasn't THAT helpful, but I'm glad you're joining us!
              Plans for 2022-23

DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre

Comment

Colomama,
                MP hasn't released any schedules yet but I can tell you last year we went 8 to 5 as Dianna mentioned. Then for those who wanted more time to chat, there were nightly meet-ups a restaurants to share a meal and conversation. During the day much of what we do is listening, asking questions, and thinking. I really enjoyed the evenings last year to chat person to person with the other parents, hear about their lives outside of homeschooling, and ask specific questions that I had for each mom. I really think it helped in forging actual friendships which has been a great treat this last year here on the forum.
                All that to say--you are totally free to do with your time whatever you like while you're here! There won't be any "free time" blocks in the conference days though. If you aren't doing a pre-conference session you could tour around that Wednesday or you could take your Saturday to do the same.
                Looking forward to meeting you!
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
                DS Hillsdale College freshman
                DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
                DD 8th • HLN & Home
                DS 5th • HLN & Home
                Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
                Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Louisville is a nice city to visit, so if you can work out a couple of extra days, I think you would enjoy it!

I will add to Dianna's post that I have been to the Slugger Museum (though I didn't go willingly), and I loved it. Who ever thought that seeing how a baseball bat was made would be fascinating, but it was!

And we have a beautiful zoo with zip lining underneath the zoo.

Autumn Oak came last year with her entire family, and she might have some tips about what they enjoyed. It was their first visit to KY.

Jessica is correct - once we have you trapped in our cottage, we won't let you go until dinner time!

Tanya

Comment

If you are coming in early Wednesday or staying into Saturday, I would recommend visiting the Frazier museum. I just went for the first time and I was impressed--plenty of American history to learn!

Dianna, that Tumbleweed on the waterfront is becoming a new local restaurant and I think it will be open by July. It might be a fun place for dinner after the day's workshops (though a little bit of a drive...).
                    Paul Schaeffer
                    --
                    Academy Director
                    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
                      If you are coming in early Wednesday or staying into Saturday, I would recommend visiting the Frazier museum. I just went for the first time and I was impressed--plenty of American history to learn!

Dianna, that Tumbleweed on the waterfront is becoming a new local restaurant and I think it will be open by July. It might be a fun place for dinner after the day's workshops (though a little bit of a drive...).
                      YAY!!

And thanks for the tip about Frazier. We may check it out on their next Friday homeschooling event. (if it doesn't clash with other activities)
                      Plans for 2022-23

Comment

My husband said I could come and I need to get my sleeping arrangements settled before I register (I have a family friend in fisherville), but I am trying to decide which pre-conference topic I should choose. My oldest is in 3rd form in the online academy, my next is in first form with me, my third is in prima. My daughter is taking classical comp through the academy as well so I don't have a great feel for how to teach that. She and I don't work well together on writing so the online academy has been great this year. My son is using IEW this year because he wanted the videos of Andrew teaching writing. I haven't made a plan for him for writing next year. I am debating between second form or the IEW class with Andrew. Any thoughts? Thanks for any input...they both sound great!

Dorinda
                        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                        15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                        DD College Freshman
                        DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                        DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                        DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Dorinda,

I would opt for the Second Form Latin class to further enhance your own understanding of Latin. I think that is the hardest material to grasp, and you will feel like a different Latin teacher once you have had that extra help. And Andrew is doing a writing workshop for Sodalitas, so you will get his expertise there, and he will be available all through the conference to answer any questions you may have.

You could also sneak around from one workshop to another if you want to spend the morning in one and the afternoon in the other. But you will only get the books for the first workshop you choose, so keep that in mind.

Tanya

Comment

Hello, all. I plan on registering for the Sodalitas Gathering, and I have a question or two.

The twins will be starting the second grade core this fall. We are doing cursive this year with the first grade core so I am kinda leaning toward the cursive workshop. However, then I think about starting Prima this fall, and I wonder about the Latina Christiana workshop as I have never had any Latin before. Other than medical terminology and Latin roots. So what do you suggest?

Also, since I live an hour and a half away, I plan on driving in each day. But I would like for my family to join me on Friday evening to meet you all. I was thinking maybe stay the night on Friday, but I don't know about the hotels or if this is doable or if I should look into a hotel elsewhere or forget the idea all together. That's a lot of ors. Thoughts?

Also (this is the last also), I was wondering if second grade would be talked about specifically like in the teacher training or if more general overall things are discussed. This is fine. I'm just curious about the schedule I suppose. If there is a link regarding this, please feel free to redirect me.

Thank you all very much. I am excited to meet everyone and learn some stuff.
                            Dawn
                            Son and Daughter (twins) 8, MP Second Grade 2016-2017
                            Completed Jr. Kindergarten, Kindergarten, First Grade
                            Son 22, Corrections Officer, Marching Band Horn line Instructor
                            Daughter 17, PS, 3rd year Marching Band, 1st Flute

Comment

Hi everyone!

I registered for Sodalitas and am excited to attend. I'm looking forward, in addition to the content, to matching faces to many of the names I've seen so often here on the forum.

I have a couple of questions -- I already purchased the 4A package ahead of time (my daughter's completing 3A), so I have the FF books already. I registered for the FF pre-conference workshop; is there someone I should notify to let them know I'll attend but won't need the books?

I'd love a hotel recommendation. Particularly if others attending the conference are staying there. I've attended conferences and gone back to my room to hibernate afterward (which is also delicious in a way), but wouldn't mind bumping into others staying in the same place. : )

Susan
                              DD 15 - MP 9

Comment

Hello.

I want to apologize for ignoring these last two posts for a couple of days! Jessica and I had a nice long video call yesterday (how fun!), and we are happily planning a great second gathering of Sodalitas!

Openhearted, I would suggest that you go ahead with the cursive workshop this year since it will be of immediate help to you in the fall. And then, next summer, you can do the LCI workshop. That keeps you committed to us for 2 summers! Prima Latina is very easy to teach because your goal is to learn some prayers and songs and vocabulary. You don't have to worry about mastering any grammar. It is a very gentle introduction to Latin. If you feel like you can't come next summer, then I might suggest that you go to the LCI workshop this summer. But the best of both worlds would be your attendance at both workshops in consecutive summers!

As far as hotels, I would stay in one of the hotels we have blocked rooms in since that is where the majority of the Sodalitas people will be staying. Maybe someone else will come on here and tell you which one they have chosen!

Last year, we had a breakout of K-6 and another one of 7-12. This year, we are going to breakout K-2, 3-6, and 7-12, so you will get lots of information specific to primary school. Of course, you will have to share the time with K-1st users, but it will all be much better aimed at reading, writing, and math specific to the primary grades. And any time you can get away, you will be free to wander over to our 2nd grade classrooms if you want to see specific classroom teaching. But I feel like the Sodalitas breakout will be more valuable to you. Come with your questions ready!

Hermoine, You can just tell us when you get to the workshop that you brought your books with you. If we have enough books in the SFL room, we can switch out your books to the next level and give you a head start on next year. (And you can see my hotel note above.)

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                                X