OT: Help with Pelikano Jr. fountain pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Help with Pelikano Jr. fountain pen

My darling husband surprised me with a Pelikano Jr. fountain pen today (it's my birthday), along with Spencerian Script practice books and a Rhodia notebook. I married well!

If any of you own one of these pens, I need some help. I opened the pen and turned the ink cartridge the right way round but the ink will not flow to the nib. I have ink all over my fingers, as it seems to be making it down to the end of the black plastic piece underneath the metal plate/nib, but it will not flow down past this into the nib. I have been toying with this for some time and would like to know if I'm doing something wrong or if there is some trick. The pen did not come with any instructions and I've checked Amazon.com for questions/comments about this issue - there are none.

Of course, my parents are visiting for the week and my dad has terrible memories of using old fashioned fountain pens in elementary school. He is laughing and shaking his head at me and my ink-stained fingers, as he has no clue why someone would willingly force herself to use such an archaic torture device. *cracks up laughing*
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Re: OT: Help with Pelikano Jr. fountain pen

When my daughter got a new fountain pen , we watched YouTube videos. I can usually solve most any problem with a YouTube tutorial!

Comment

I can't help with your pen problem, but wanted to say "Happy birthday." Today is my birthday as well, I hope you enjoyed yours!
      Des
      3 graduates (used LC1&2, Traditional Logic)
      G (4th grade using old MP core 3, GSWL, Strayer-Upton book 2)
      S (9th grade Abeka US History, Abeka Themes in Literature, Henle Latin w/MP guide, Systematic Mathematics w/LOF, Anatomy and Physiology, Art of Argument)

Comment

Oh yes,yes!! Happy birthday to you both!

Comment

You may have figured it out by now, but I remember having to get the nib a bit wet with some cold water under the faucet to get the ink flowing. If it is flowing out other places you might have made too large a hole in the cartridge by moving it around without the barrel on it. Maybe start fresh with a new cartridge?

Good luck and Happy Birthday!
          Dorinda
          Dorinda

For 2020-2021
          DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
          DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
          DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
          DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

My husband has a drawer full of fountain pens. Will ask him over breakfast and report back. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
            Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
            Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
            Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
            The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
            ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

I missed your birthday yesterday Mary!...Happy Belated Birthday...

I didn't get a chance to read the forums yesterday...I was in MD at a seminar with Andrew Kern...Yes, he had on a bow tie

I hope you get advice about the pen...I know nothing about fountain pens and don't even use felt tip pens...Sad to say, I only use those cheap blue or red clear BIC pens...Maybe one day I will upgrade to at least a promotional pen...
              Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
              DS -19 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
              DS -15 (9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
              DS -14 (7/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

Hubby says (in a hurry, as he's walking out the door) if it's a "nib" pen, soak the nib in a bowl of water to dissolve whatever is clogging it. There might also be a wax bead on the end that will need to be removed. Good luck!
                Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
                Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
                Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
                The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
                ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Happy Birthday, Mary!!!

I hope you got your new pen figured out!
                  AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2020-2021
                  16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                  DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                  DS, 16
                  DD, 14
                  DD, 12
                  DD, 10
                  DD, 8
                  DD, 6
                  +DS+
                  DS, 2

Comment

Thank you, everyone!

I am going to soak the nib this morning in warm water and see if that helps. Meanwhile, my dad emerged from the guest room this morning, grinning. He offered me a Bic from his pocket and welcomed me to the 21st century.
                    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I hope you had a happy birthday! I have the Pelikano Jr. and sometimes it takes a while for the ink to get down to the nib. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that when you first put the cartridge in that it can take a few hours. That seems to have happened when I've changed the cartridge, but hadn't used the pen for a while. I think I may have gotten ink on my hands the first time I put a cartridge in, but I don't recall that happening after that.

I hope the ink starts flowing soon!
                      Shannon

P.S. I found this website helpful. http://reviews.shopwritersbloc.com/b...-fountain-pens

Comment

Working...
                      X