X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reflections on K/ - comments/questions about FSR at HLS

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
    HWC,
    I do not make it a big deal or have a huge program. Even the MP Classical Phonics book from K/1/2 phonics can be used for what I do. We just sit on the couch together for ten minutes, and go over the pages in the CP book together...for her, starting at the very beginning, and learning the letters in the order they are given in the book. Most of the pages have short vowel words at the bottom, so I blend them for her, and she follows along until she realizes what word we are saying. It is honestly just about simple practice and repetition. We also pick out the letters she is learning from the JrK alphabet flashcards and use those for drill too.

As soon as she seems able to remember, I start using BOB books too. That's really it. I do not stress a lot over it because I know she will get full "coverage" down the road. The hardest part is waiting and practicing through the part when they don't seem to remember anything from one day to the next. But that is why we keep it short, and make sure to do it every day. I have see her start to retain things just in a couple weeks. And she asks every day to do it, so I know she wants to. I hope that helps at all!
    The Classical Phonics book is a gem. I used the "old" version of the book before MP published theirs, and MP's is even better, especially the last 1/4th. I've used it to start a kid reading, do some summer reading with some private school kids who were "behind" coming out of kindergarten, and to start from scratch with an 8 year old that had only been taught sight words.
    Bean. Long time MP user. Almost retired homeschool mom and university faculty/ librarian.

I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD (17) Graduated!
    Mechanical Engineering

"School Administrator" to niece (9): MP 3A

Comment

I'm coming to this late, but wanted to chime in on the OP's questions. We used FSR last year for the first time with my Ker who couldn't really read at all before we started. She knew all her letters, but not all their sounds and definitely couldn't blend. When we got to the end of book A she wasn't blending well and we camped out there for two weeks. That was all it took! The mechanics of blending are laid in book A and it's worth it to linger there if anyone is having trouble. Once she got the "h-at, hat" rhythm down we moved on to book B. Again, at the end of K I wasn't really sure she would be ready for first grade reading in the fall. We pressed through the Primary Phonics Readers and she was right on track when first rolled around! A lot of distance is covered between the last lesson in K and the first lesson in First grade. Those readers are worth every penny. We just finished the first complete Little Bear book today. I'm a big fan of the "make haste slowly" method and taking the time to lay a great foundation. I can see her approaching a word, then, changing her initial pronunciation when she sees the magic "e" or some other phonics rule. She's still not super fast, but her foundation is strong. She is reading and enjoying it!

Just wanted to encourage any others whose Kers are about to move into FSR but who aren't reading yet.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
      DS Hillsdale College freshman
      DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
      DD 8th • HLN & Home
      DS 5th • HLN & Home
      Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Oh dear! I hope I didn't turn anyone off on my comments/questions. WE LOVE MP! I really like the FSR and am so glad I found it! Michelle's answers helped tremendously so I could understand where kids should be at with each book. After her answer I now see that my child last year could have done FSR. I thought where she was at last year, she would not have been able to move on to book B. I was wrong! (Thanks for the clarification Michelle!) It was so nice to hear the answer so when my next two children come up to reading time, I understand the process! I thought my son would also need to wait until more like 6, but now that I understand how it works, I will be prepared to offer them FSR when ready!

I am still questioning now what to do with my 6 year old, but I think we will proceed and complete K this year. It was pointed out to me when making this decision that when we get to 3rd grade, she will likely be able to the 3 accelerated, vice the moderated. If we rush ahead and get her moving ahead a grade, she would likely need to do the 3rd grade moderated. (Which is fine) but really, either track puts her at about the same place when she is in 8th grade....so...we'll keep this going, since it is going well! I don't think she could handle the writing in 1st grade??

Pickgrin - thanks for you assurances that "slow" readers will be ready for 1st grade! That is reassuring! I feel confident with my plans for the next couple, with some flexibility should they show they are ready for FSR (now i understand the process and what they need to be ready for it)!
        Christine

(2022/2023)
        DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
        DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Howiecram,
          I don't think your comments and questions did that at all! Rather, I think the long threads where many aspects are discussed are treasure-troves for new users. It's hard to know what questions to ask about a program before you are using it and "listening" to others discuss it is very helpful.

ETA: I just reread your original post and saw your "school in a box" comment. I hear that all the time! I simply tell people to judge it by what's inside the box, not the box itself. I'm very happy with my school in a box from MP!
          Last edited by pickandgrin; 10-07-2015, 08:32 AM.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
          DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

I don't really have any answers just a few words of encouragement.

We have used the Jr. K program, the kindergarten core and started the first grade core.

I am completely amazed with the FSR program. I was so doubtful that I could teach my twins to read. But I did thanks to MP. The program is so gentle, and the lessons build upon each other beautifully.

I was concerned about the ability to read Little Bear in first grade, but they are doing perfectly. I have to say the summer reading was when it "clicked" for them. Now they are reading Hop on Pop, Green Eggs and Ham and so on. I set the books out, and they pick them up and read.

So the point of my rambling: Don't look so far ahead and worry. Trust in the program. It works. Amazingly Beautiful.
            Dawn
            Son and Daughter (twins) 8, MP Second Grade 2016-2017
            Completed Jr. Kindergarten, Kindergarten, First Grade
            Son 22, Corrections Officer, Marching Band Horn line Instructor
            Daughter 17, PS, 3rd year Marching Band, 1st Flute

Comment

I repeat frequently to myself "if it is good enough for Highlands Latin School, it's good enough for me"! I do like hearing how they implement certain things in their classroom though because it helps me understand where we are going! :-)

I mean, I just can't praise this enough!! :-)

(and yet I still hear people complain it is still too "workbooky" for them.......) I can already see the rewards of "writing" (opposed to narrating only) things out and it just makes so much sense to me!
              Christine

(2022/2023)
              DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)

Comment

A rabbit-trail on "workbooks" and too much writing

HWC,
                Actually one of the missing elements of my previous curriculum choice was that it wasn't enough WORK for the kids. I felt like I was the only one working; their job was to play and listen. I try to gently point out that (with the exception of Spelling) they are study guides, not workbooks, and that I want my kids working on paper everyday. I'm far enough down the pike to know that's an investment neither they nor I will regret--especially that I won't regret! Both the student and the parent/teacher have a physical record of the work done that year. I think that's very empowering! This fall I brought up my son's Christian Studies Study Guides 1-3 for him to use a references for CS 4. He felt a sense of accomplishment to see them all together on a shelf, the fruit of three years of work.

To the "too much writing" charge I respond that, barring special circumstances, it's not too much if your child has been trained by MP from the beginning to write daily and/or you've invested the time to help your child learn cursive to a fluency and speed that it is no longer a hurdle to composition. I think it has mostly to do with your vision of what can be accomplished and your perseverance to make that happen.

This is one of my favorite quotes from the Lesson Plans/Teaching Guidelines:

"Do not underestimate your student(s).
                We've seen kindergarteners recite 30 Bible verses in a row; sixth graders rattle off 70 stanzas of Horatius at the Bridge; high schoolers recite Latin grammar forms for 20 minutes without pause. There is no greater gift we can give students than to expect the best from them. They can do what we have asked of them here."
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Very well said Jessica! Many times we underestimate our children (students). Thanks for the reminder!

Michelle T

Comment

Hi Howiecram,

I am using MP K for my 3rd child also. Just like you, I am also glad to find this curriculum. Since I learned the workbooky way, I am thrilled to find this workbooky boxed curriculum for my kids (I only sub handwriting & math).
                    Nieva, blessed to have such thoughtful MP friends

2021-2022: 8th year homeschooling and with MP
                    DS14, 9th~ MPOA Latin, Kolbe Academy Freshman
                    DS13, 8th~ MPOA except math and composition
                    DS11, 6th~ MPOA except math and composition
                    DS 7, 2nd~ MP w/ Mom

Stay with me, Lord, for You are my light, and without You, I am in darkness. ~St. Pio

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                      Oh dear! I hope I didn't turn anyone off on my comments/questions. WE LOVE MP! I really like the FSR and am so glad I found it! Michelle's answers helped tremendously so I could understand where kids should be at with each book. After her answer I now see that my child last year could have done FSR. I thought where she was at last year, she would not have been able to move on to book B. I was wrong! (Thanks for the clarification Michelle!) It was so nice to hear the answer so when my next two children come up to reading time, I understand the process! I thought my son would also need to wait until more like 6, but now that I understand how it works, I will be prepared to offer them FSR when ready!

I am still questioning now what to do with my 6 year old, but I think we will proceed and complete K this year. It was pointed out to me when making this decision that when we get to 3rd grade, she will likely be able to the 3 accelerated, vice the moderated. If we rush ahead and get her moving ahead a grade, she would likely need to do the 3rd grade moderated. (Which is fine) but really, either track puts her at about the same place when she is in 8th grade....so...we'll keep this going, since it is going well! I don't think she could handle the writing in 1st grade??

Pickgrin - thanks for you assurances that "slow" readers will be ready for 1st grade! That is reassuring! I feel confident with my plans for the next couple, with some flexibility should they show they are ready for FSR (now i understand the process and what they need to be ready for it)!
                      I just wanted to reiterate that "slow" readers can IMO easily be ready for 1st grade. I too was intimidated by the first book being Little Bear, and worried DS couldn't handle it. Especially with the addition of the new Phonics and Spelling guide I can see easily how I am supposed to prepare him and get him ready, before he starts reading so that he can be successful. At the beginning (before I had the guide) I was just handing him the readers (the 1st 2 weeks are readers before you start LB), and he was struggling. Once I realized how to prepare him to be successful though he loved reading the stories and showing off what he learned. I had even considered going back with him to K to make sure we had everything covered because I really thought he was behind but he's doing wonderfully now.
                      ~Michelle Momma to 3
                      DD 7 - MP2
                      DS 6 - MP1
                      DS born 3/26

Comment

Re: A rabbit-trail on "workbooks" and too much writing

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                        HWC,
                        Actually one of the missing elements of my previous curriculum choice was that it wasn't enough WORK for the kids. I felt like I was the only one working; their job was to play and listen. I try to gently point out that (with the exception of Spelling) they are study guides, not workbooks, and that I want my kids working on paper everyday. I'm far enough down the pike to know that's an investment neither they nor I will regret--especially that I won't regret! Both the student and the parent/teacher have a physical record of the work done that year. I think that's very empowering! This fall I brought up my son's Christian Studies Study Guides 1-3 for him to use a references for CS 4. He felt a sense of accomplishment to see them all together on a shelf, the fruit of three years of work.

."
                        This is a little off topic and others might not see this.....since it is somewhat unrelated 0- but do you keep everything from year to year? (all the completed workbooks). I did glance through 1st grade and it said something like "review lessons x from book 1 of the R&S book...so..I figured I better hang onto that.. I've heard people really only keeping enough to make a portfolio each year..but maybe I should consider keeping them all? (where?)) :-)
                        Christine

(2022/2023)
                        DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years

Comment

I have enjoyed this thread so much...it is helping me have a better perspective on this stage. And I am so glad to be among folks who also enjoy making their children work hard. It is so inspiring!

I am not a keeper though. Never have been. So far, our books have had the drills in the appendices that help them review from one year to the next so I have not really seen a need. Although Jessica's story with her son and his old books is awesome! What a neat milestone!

It did finally dawn on me to have the kids review their poems and art cards from last year AS WELL as learning their new ones. I almost let that slip past me!
                          AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          2020-2021
                          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                          DS, 17
                          DD, 15
                          DD, 13
                          DD, 11
                          DD, 9
                          DD, 7
                          +DS+
                          DS, 2

Comment

I bet your non-keeping ways are, in part, due to your habit of moving every few years, Sarah, and additionally due to the number of your children!

We've only moved once in our four years of MP and so far, I'm keeping all completed work downstairs atop a remote bookcase. Granted, I only have three students so this is still doable. If I have to start throwing things away, I'll chuck spelling notebooks & math first. Right now I keep the student guides and all the loose work in a three-ring binder.

To your question specifically, in first grade you are still using R&S Math 1 so you have the teacher's manual on hand and you get a fresh workbook 1 to use as review for the first seven weeks of school. So that specifically won't be an issue for you! HTH!
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                            DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

I just wanted to chime in and say that I used FSR with my now 2nd grader when he was in Kinder and about 5.5. He had not had any previous reading instruction and knew very few letters and sounds. The program was a staggering success. The thorough phonics coverage and the slow and steady pace were absolutely perfect. He moved through the four books and was able to read Little Bear (with some effort) at the start of first grade. I should note that we used the entire Kindergarten core, so there was lots of reinforcement of each phonics concept.

I cannot praise the FSR enough. The ear training is key in learning to isolate letter sounds. The integrated writing practice connects the mental effort of reading with the fine motor skill of writing. Oh how I wish I had known of MP from the time my first child was in kindergarten! I am now using FSR with my current kindergartener, and am enjoying every minute of the experience.

The one aspect of MP that constantly amazes me is the pacing of each and every lesson, subject and core. It all seems so deceptively simple, but is laid out masterfully. Pacing our various subjects was always a challenge for me before MP. I am so grateful to have the chance to use and share MP core curriculum with all who are looking for very best in education.

Anastasia
                              using 8A, 4M, 2, K and JK

Comment

Hi! Wendy here again. I hope I also did not come across as if I was disappointed with FSR. We love it and are working through the entire K core curriculum. I wish I started my 6th grader with Memoria press(he is using it now), as I see my K'er and Pre-schooler are getting a much more solid foundation. The 6th grader is even enjoying "filling in the gaps" by joining in with our morning recitions. I used the flash cards this morning with my K'er and he is quickly "getting it". He loves drill-it was me thinking he wouldn't so I wasn't doing it. But, it is helping him with letter recognition and the letter sounds as of just this morning. Thank you everyone for this wonderful thread and board!

Blessings,

Wendy

Comment

Working...
                                X