MP Good Reads list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP Good Reads list

Someone else started a thread asking for opinions about specific books...which got me thinking. I am always on the lookout for good books for my voracious readers. We do all of the MP read-alouds but my kids also like to read in their free time. I always read Amazon, GoodReads and other reviews trying to glean information I need; however, I've still purchased/checked out some real lemons over the years. *weary laugh*

Every family is different when it comes to preferences and tolerance levels for certain things. I've seen several lists of books but not all of them pass my rigorous standards - and I've even been surprised by some Newberry award winners. :/
    It would be very helpful to have a list of books MP families have read/liked, along with a short description of the plot, a general age range, and any issue(s) that may crop up (light romance, some language, etc.) so that we can make more informed decisions when it comes to our kids' leisure reading. Having a list like this, made by other Classical families would sure make life easier for all of us, no?

Would anyone else be interested in participating?
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Re: MP Good Reads list

Perfect! With all due respect to Mr. Cothran, it would be really great to add small details to that list just so we know what we're getting. It's been so helpful to hear feedback on popular books and it would be great to have a few more details about the great books, as there are some (okay, a lot!) I haven't read personally.

I'll dig around here and see if I can find the list. Thanks for letting me know.
    Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
      Perfect! With all due respect to Mr. Cothran, it would be really great to add small details to that list just so we know what we're getting. It's been so helpful to hear feedback on popular books and it would be great to have a few more details about the great books, as there are some (okay, a lot!) I haven't read personally.

I'll dig around here and see if I can find the list. Thanks for letting me know.
      It's on a thread called...wait for it...Martin's Book List! Don't ask me how many threads I just looked at until I saw the title and wanted to slap myself in the face!

Tracy
      Tracy
      My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
      MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

Aha...found it! http://forum.memoriapress.com/showth...k+list+cothran
        Tracy
        My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
        MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

Would love a Good Reads list! Great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by megashworth View Post
            Would love a Good Reads list! Great idea!
            welcome, Megashworth!

Martin Cothran compiled a GINORMOUS list of can't miss reads that you'll see linked above. The different columns have recommended ages for parents reading aloud, as well as children reading them solo.

Mary (Orthodoxhandmaiden), just so I'm clear, you'd love for us to chime in on the books we've read from Martin's mega-list with our thoughts?

This is going to be amazing!
            Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
            DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
            DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
            DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
            DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
            DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
              Mary (Orthodoxhandmaiden), just so I'm clear, you'd love for us to chime in on the books we've read from Martin's mega-list with our thoughts?

This is going to be amazing!
              Yes! I would love to hear your thoughts on these. Some are likely fabulous read-alouds for kids a bit younger than the stated age, while you might have found others to be just a wee bit above where your kiddo is now. Or, perhaps there are themes that might be distressing for a sensitive child - age appropriate, but not right for the kid who's easily upset. Better still, perhaps one of the books on there is one we'd secretly shy away from (maybe because we were forced to read it in high school...or worse yet, it sounds "hard"?) but hearing your glowing review would give us the courage to give it a go! Lastly, if you've got a voracious reader who isn't ready for the whole enchilada but who could handle the Jr. Classics version, I'd like to know. Some of the condensed-for-children books have been just great and others have been...meh.

I can just see it now. Next year. MP Conference. Mr. Cothran takes the stage to begin another presentation that has us on the edge of our seats. Then, from somewhere in the back where the Sodalitas parents are all congregated together with notebooks in hand and pens at the ready, comes the dreaded question. "Excuse me, Mr. Cothran? Before you give your speech, would you please comment on the first 37 books on your list? We'd like a brief synopsis of each, followed by your thoughts of the condensed versions for younger readers as well as any opinions you have about available illustrated editions."
              Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Working...
              X