Opinion from MP ladies and gents on these books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinion from MP ladies and gents on these books

While reading through the responses, I was reminded of other books I've seen and wondered about. Has anyone read Lemony Snicket? If so, is it worth checking out?
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

"Making love" in the Anne series is very PG... more like flirting. It's an old use of language. Like "gay" only meant happy at that time.

My dd 10 likes Benedict Society, and has read all the Anne books, loved Wrinkle in Time, etc. She's okay with books as long as no one dies without warning. I read the the first Benedict Society book and thought it was fine. DD likes puzzley stuff.

My older boys liked Percy Jackson, but I haven't even offered them to dd because she'd be annoyed by them. They were explicitly written by a teacher to get students interested in myths. If they already are interested, there's no good reason to sugar coat them. It would be like offering Fruity Pebbles to a kid that already is enjoying a honeycrisp apple.

Bean
      Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

Mary,
        My 2 oldest kids have read the entire Lemony Snicket series and the 6 year old listened to all of them on audiobook. They really enjoyed them. They are fun and great for odd vocabulary, like "tenebrous hue." I remember Andrew Pudewa confessing during a speech to listening to the entire series for his own enjoyment.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
        12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
        10th • HLN, Latin online
        7th • HLN & Home
        4th • HLN & Home
        Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

My oldest, soon to be 9 year old son, loves the Series of Unfortunate Events books as well. He enjoys the odd words in it and looks them up in our dauntingly huge dictionary to figure out what they mean. He's into words, and likes using odd ones in conversation.

They also do like Percy Jackson, but I read those aloud. I also read the chapter before I read it to them, with sticky flags in it if there's language or a thought that I need to edit.

I'm enjoying this thread a lot...great ideas for books I had never heard of!

Tracy
          Tracy
          My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
          MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
            I did want to mention two other series that he has thoroughly enjoyed and which I came across via a British publisher. One is the "Molly Moon" series -- I don't think this has anything romantic in it, going by what I have seen, but cannot be 100% sure. The other is the old "Biggles" series about a WWI fighter pilot; this is almost certainly a more boy-friendly book, or at least for someone who really likes airplanes. So far A. has read "Biggles Learns to Fly" and "Biggles: the Camels are Coming" ("Camel" being an aircraft). So a child interested in Riordan and the Benedict series might like one of these.
            Thanks for these suggestions. The Biggles series looks right up my son's alley! My mom also suggested the Adventures of Tintin, which I think would be appropriate (and similar), as well. She is slowly amassing the collection of original Tintin books for ds8 for Christmas. I see there are more modern adaptations on Amazon but I don't know if they're just re-releases of the originals or if they've been modified in any way.
            Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

oh my goodness, Tintin had fallen off my radar -- what a very wonderful Christmas gift for your son! Along these lines, a friend gave DS a copy of Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang which went over very well, and there's a more-recent sequel that's surprisingly good. My DS also -- somewhat surprisingly -- just loved Philip Pullman's versions of the Grimm's fairy tales; and also Julius Lester's Remus Tales (illustrated by Jerry Pinkney, these are truly wonderful)-- but those are a very different genre.

ETA -- DS won't read Lemony Snicket at all. It begins with, apparently, the tragic death of the protagonists' parents and DS just can't stand it. He's on the very sensitive end; and the humor is dark.
              Last edited by serendipitous journey; 09-27-2015, 04:53 PM.
              Ana, mama to
              ds A, 15 yo
              ds N, 10 yo

Comment

Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
                oh my goodness, Tintin had fallen off my radar -- what a very wonderful Christmas gift for your son! Along these lines, a friend gave DS a copy of Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang which went over very well, and there's a more-recent sequel that's surprisingly good. My DS also -- somewhat surprisingly -- just loved Philip Pullman's versions of the Grimm's fairy tales; and also Julius Lester's Remus Tales (illustrated by Jerry Pinkney, these are truly wonderful)-- but those are a very different genre.

ETA -- DS won't read Lemony Snicket at all. It begins with, apparently, the tragic death of the protagonists' parents and DS just can't stand it. He's on the very sensitive end; and the humor is dark.
                Thanks for the head's up about Lemony Snicket. That would *NOT* play well with my kids. We all like the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang movie - I'd never thought of reading the book!

Great. Now the song "Toot Sweets" is looping through my head...
                Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
                  "Making love" in the Anne series is very PG... more like flirting. It's an old use of language. Like "gay" only meant happy at that time.

My dd 10 likes Benedict Society, and has read all the Anne books, loved Wrinkle in Time, etc. She's okay with books as long as no one dies without warning. I read the the first Benedict Society book and thought it was fine. DD likes puzzley stuff.

My older boys liked Percy Jackson, but I haven't even offered them to dd because she'd be annoyed by them. They were explicitly written by a teacher to get students interested in myths. If they already are interested, there's no good reason to sugar coat them. It would be like offering Fruity Pebbles to a kid that already is enjoying a honeycrisp apple.

Bean
                  Thank you for clarifying on Anne. THat is helpful. And I like your Fruity pebble analogy. That is kind of my thinking here. There are so many classics or good books I know of, that we often wouldn't have time or need to fit in new things.
                  Christina

Comment

Working...
                  X