Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion from MP ladies and gents on these books

Hi,

I would love to hear feedback on this forum about two book series. What is your opinion of Rick Riordan books and The Mysterious Benedict Society? If you have thoughts to share, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!!!!
    Christina

Re: Opinion from MP ladies and gents on these books

My d10 checked out the first book in the Mysterious Benedict Society series and it scared her. She got through the first 1/4 to 1/3 and decided she didn't like it. I have not read the book myself (one of the few I hadn't either already read or pre-screened for her) so I cannot comment from a parent's perspective; however, my daughter, who liked the Harry Potter series and loved a Wrinkle in Time, did not like MBS.

Over breakfast, I'll ask her if she can give me more details and I'll pass those along.
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
      My d10 checked out the first book in the Mysterious Benedict Society series and it scared her. She got through the first 1/4 to 1/3 and decided she didn't like it. I have not read the book myself (one of the few I hadn't either already read or pre-screened for her) so I cannot comment from a parent's perspective; however, my daughter, who liked the Harry Potter series and loved a Wrinkle in Time, did not like MBS.

Over breakfast, I'll ask her if she can give me more details and I'll pass those along.
      Thank you so much!

I'd also love to know what age you recommend for Hatchet if your kids have read those.
      Christina

Comment

Well, I'm a buffoon! I didn't realize that Rick Riordan wrote the Percy Jackson series. *smacks head* Bethany has read 2 of the Percy Jackson books and liked them, but not enough to continue. They're fine but she wasn't in love with the characters' behavior and language sometimes. There is NO profanity that I'm aware of; rather, she is a sheltered kid who would rather not read about kids acting like jerks or flirting with each other. *insert me cracking up laughing and praying this attitude prevails through her teenage years* In her words, "Mom, I just like the D'Aularies' book better and books about real Greek myths. If I want a made-up story, I'd rather read Harry Potter." (To be clear, she is reading through Harry Potter as part of our book club at church. Our priest walks us through the overriding themes and keeps it in a Christian perspective.)

I asked her about MBS just now and she said she found the subliminal messages "some guy" was trying to send via TV and radio were really creepy. Perhaps it's her age and her tolerance for psychological torture that made this book unpalatable to her. She's obviously not a good candidate for the old Twilight Zone series...

Right now, she's enamored with "A Wrinkle in Time". Since we just finished that book as an MP read-aloud, she's on to "A Wind in the Door" and she wants to finish that series.

We haven't read Hatchet.
        Last edited by Mary; 09-26-2015, 09:15 AM.
        Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

My daughter really enjoyed the L'Engle books too, but at an age around 12-13.

We have not read the Benedict series you mention, but we were turned off by Percy Jackson too. First because the changes made to the Greek myths were really annoying since we know the real ones, but then past that, it was the same thing Mary said...we want our children reading things that ennoble them, with clear distinctions between the good guys, and the bad guys. We take behavior very seriously, to build character. Books that show the main characters, who are the ones you are supposed to consider as the good guys, speaking and behaving inappropriately (by our standards) just doesn't cut it with me.

It makes us really picky, but at the same time, my son had some encounters with boys this summer who are not "sheltered" so closely, and learned a very valuable lesson about how impressionable boys his age (12) really are, and how they internalize things they see and hear so easily.

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
            My daughter really enjoyed the L'Engle books too, but at an age around 12-13.

We have not read the Benedict series you mention, but we were turned off by Percy Jackson too. First because the changes made to the Greek myths were really annoying since we know the real ones, but then past that, it was the same thing Mary said...we want our children reading things that ennoble them, with clear distinctions between the good guys, and the bad guys. We take behavior very seriously, to build character. Books that show the main characters, who are the ones you are supposed to consider as the good guys, speaking and behaving inappropriately (by our standards) just doesn't cut it with me.
            Sarah
            Yes, yes, yes. Even L'Engle gets into some flirtations stuff - hand holding, kissing and such. Bethany usually ignores that and stays with the overriding theme of the book; however, she is also reading with me guiding her.

One series she's really enjoyed is the Happy Hollisters. Written in the '50s and early 60s, it is a series written about a family (the Hollisters) with 5 children who work together to solve mysteries. Negative behaviors are viewed as such and are not displayed by the Hollister children. Positive behaviors are encouraged and rewarded. There's nothing spiritually "deep" about these; rather, they are fun reads and much safer brain candy than some of the stuff I've seen at the local library.

She also enjoyed "The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place" series. I liked them, too!
            Mary

DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I am new to MP, so my thoughts are not yet trained along the lines you may have been looking for, but my child has read Percy Jackson and most of the Benedict Society books. He enjoyed Benedict Society on his own and enjoyed it; he read Percy Jackson because I assigned it over the summer, and enjoyed it but did not want to continue. I did not go over these books carefully myself, but have seen no adverse consequences and he wasn't disturbed. He won't read "The Education of Nicholas Benedict" book, though -- he just despises it for some reason.

I did want to mention two other series that he has thoroughly enjoyed and which I came across via a British publisher. One is the "Molly Moon" series -- I don't think this has anything romantic in it, going by what I have seen, but cannot be 100% sure. The other is the old "Biggles" series about a WWI fighter pilot; this is almost certainly a more boy-friendly book, or at least for someone who really likes airplanes. So far A. has read "Biggles Learns to Fly" and "Biggles: the Camels are Coming" ("Camel" being an aircraft). So a child interested in Riordan and the Benedict series might like one of these.
              Ana, mama to
              ds A, 15 yo
              ds N, 10 yo

Comment

Mary,
                My kids have loved the The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series! We listened to all of them on audio book. They are filled with classical allusions and poetry. My 9 year old is actually memorizing "The Wreck of the Hesperus" and my 11 year old "The Raven" because they were featured so prominently in one of the books.
                We've not done any Percy Jackson. The kids haven't asked and I haven't offered. The older two tried Mysterious Benedict and didn't love it.

Have you looked at Swallows and Amazons (Ransome) or Penderwicks (Birdsall)? Loved both of those!
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
                12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
                10th • HLN, Latin online
                7th • HLN & Home
                4th • HLN & Home
                Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Hi. None of my children liked the Rick Riordian books. Our favorite series is the Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan. When these books are in our house, we actually "call" who gets to read them next. Beware, there is a little profanity in these books (d---). don't know why Mr. Flanagan felt it necessary to include this. The books are great otherwise: strong characters, good over evil...). Recommended 12 and up due to the occasional language.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies. I really appreciate all of it. I did check out the Mysterious Benedict Society and while reading the dustjacket the phrase 'the only rule is that there are no rules' sent up RED FLAGS for me. I will drop it off unread It has been my thought that with D'Aulaires GM, I really don't need confusing stories around, we'll skip those, too. I will be making notes of the books suggested here. I agree with wanting literature that has a clear definition between good and evil and characters that fit into those components.
                    Christina

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
                      Yes, yes, yes. Even L'Engle gets into some flirtations stuff - hand holding, kissing and such. Bethany usually ignores that and stays with the overriding theme of the book; however, she is also reading with me guiding her.
                      I'm glad for this reminder. Its been YEARS since I read those books. I remember loving them but little else. I'd like to piggyback a question here. A friend mentioned to me that Anne of Green Gables references something along those lines. I would've thought those books would be more like Little House, but am I wrong there?
                      Christina

Comment

We read all of the Anne series. I do not know of any problem references, and my kids are usually good at finding them for me. I see them as safe, but would appreciate knowing if there is something I am missing.

AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        2020-2021
                        DS, 17
                        DD, 15
                        DD, 13
                        DD, 11
                        DD, 9
                        DD, 7
                        +DS+
                        DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                          We read all of the Anne series. I do not know of any problem references, and my kids are usually good at finding them for me. I see them as safe, but would appreciate knowing if there is something I am missing.

AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          If I"m thinking of the right book, a friend said her 4th grade daughter asked about the phrase 'making love' after reading it. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong books. I will check again.
                          Christina

Comment

Ooh, that would be something to check out...
                            2020-2021
                            DS, 17
                            DD, 15
                            DD, 13
                            DD, 11
                            DD, 9
                            DD, 7
                            +DS+
                            DS, 2

Comment

Well, in the King Arthur book there were several things that cropped up. Launcelot was having an affair with Guinevere. Lady Elaine transforms into Guinevere's likeness, and Launcelot sleeps with her. Then, she has a baby. All of this (thankfully) went right over my child's head.

My kids have read Mysterious Benedict Society books and liked them. We happen to know the author and his family

Comment

Working...
                              X