Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ought my child be looking up the "vocabulary" words for subjects? (5A)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ought my child be looking up the "vocabulary" words for subjects? (5A)

I've just been doing these orally, mostly, and realized that maybe the child ought to be looking them up? It can take quite a while, though. What do y'all do or suggest?

thanks!
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 15 yo
    ds N, 10 yo

Re: Ought my child be looking up the "vocabulary" words for subjects? (5A)

These sections are for teaching how to figure the meaning of a word using context clues. Read the snippet then ask your child if they can figure out what the word means when they hear it in context. If they can't get close to the meaning, let them look them up in a dictionary.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Comment

I have noticed two different things happen with these, because they are in so many of our children's subjects. I have children who answer the ones they know, and then *on their own* decide to go look them up. So by the time we are going over it together, it is all filled in really well.

Then I have another set of children who will answer the ones they know, but then if it is not obvious to them, they will leave it blank. And it will remain blank until we discuss, because they know I will "help" them with it. Both of my kids that do this can figure them out when they are encouraged to actually think, and try a bit, but they still show up with blank lines, time after time.

Since I am seeing this pattern, for them I am going to start requiring them to look up any they do not know, so they do not come with completely blank lines. It was not my first instinct, but seeing that this is not a lack of knowledge but rather a lack of effort, time and time again, now I am going to assign that *for them.* I have not made it a hard and fast rule for the other two, who naturally try a bit more.

You caught me with an observation I had been making the last several weeks, so I had a perspective on that to share.

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
        These sections are for teaching how to figure the meaning of a word using context clues. Read the snippet then ask your child if they can figure out what the word means when they hear it in context. If they can't get close to the meaning, let them look them up in a dictionary.

Blessings,
        Michelle T
        Thanks, Michelle. I was sending my daughter off to do this as independant work, and it was sending her into a tailspin. (she HATES looking things up in a dictionary)
        Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
        DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
        DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
        DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
        DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
        DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Michelle & Sarah, thanks. It sounds like continuing with oral preview, and having him look up words he doesn't know, may be a good strategy. One challenge is that the words he doesn't know tend to be from "Adam of the Road" and many are not in his student dictionary and are only in my much-more-intimidating Heritage Dictionary. So I might help him with those and let him use the student dictionary in his other subjects.
          Ana, mama to
          ds A, 15 yo
          ds N, 10 yo

Comment

I thought I asked this last year and was told I was supposed to be giving them the definition. My dd was taking FOREVER to look them up and then they didn't match the definitions on the quizzes. I have been under the impression that at HLS the teacher gave the definition. I hope I didn't misunderstand.

Dorinda
            Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
            15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
            DD College Freshman
            DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
            DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
            DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

How about writing down the definitions from teacher's guide in a definitions bank style. Like this:
              http://www.memoriapress.com/sites/de...iry%20book.pdf

My son used to look it up in the dictionary last year when we had all the time to do it but now that his workload is more, I'm doing the definitions bank as he searches for the context clues.

By 6A they are asked to look up some words in addition to the context clues vocabulary. I'm excited about that.
              http://www.memoriapress.com/sites/de...les/hobbit.pdf
              Nieva, blessed to have such thoughtful MP friends

2021-2022: 8th year homeschooling and with MP
              DS14, 9th~ MPOA Latin, Kolbe Academy Freshman
              DS13, 8th~ MPOA except math and composition
              DS11, 6th~ MPOA except math and composition
              DS 7, 2nd~ MP w/ Mom

Stay with me, Lord, for You are my light, and without You, I am in darkness. ~St. Pio

Comment

I thought this had come up recently and someone suggested having them copy from the teacher's guide. I was so thankful for that advice and it is working very well for us.
                Christina

Comment

Dorinda,
                  I believe you did ask that question, and when it came up, I remember learning that they do help them at HLS. That is what I have been doing as well, both last year, and the beginning of this year.

We had used a program in the past that required weekly definitions copied from the dictionary for all their spelling words. This task was agonizingly slow every single week. So hearing that we were not required to do that for MP's vocabulary sections was definitely a relief! So I am not trying to change that expectation by sharing our experience from this year.

I have children who use the dictionary very quickly, and prefer having a totally completed assignment to turn in rather than leave a blank. So I have not required it of them.

The two that I am going to start requiring it for are two who could do better at thinking through context clues, but just aren't. We are in weeks five and six for them, so I was making an observation, and acting on it. My hope is that they will prefer actually thinking, and trying to give an answer, rather than using the dictionary, so it will encourage them to try a bit harder than I have seen this year. I am not being hard core about it...but five weeks of encouraging them to try has led to a lot of sheepish smiles when they realize they could have figured something out and didn't.

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2020-2021
                  16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                  DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                  DS, 17
                  DD, 15
                  DD, 13
                  DD, 11
                  DD, 9
                  DD, 7
                  +DS+
                  DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                    I thought I asked this last year and was told I was supposed to be giving them the definition. My dd was taking FOREVER to look them up and then they didn't match the definitions on the quizzes. I have been under the impression that at HLS the teacher gave the definition. I hope I didn't misunderstand.

Dorinda
                    I thought so too...We go over vocabulary before they read the section, I ask them if they can figure out what the word means and if they can't, I simply tell them...The only subject I will ask them to look up a word in the dictionary for is Spelling if they happen to not know what something means...
                    Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                    DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
                    DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
                    DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

Originally posted by happyhappyjoyjoy View Post
                      I thought this had come up recently and someone suggested having them copy from the teacher's guide. I was so thankful for that advice and it is working very well for us.
                      Maybe that's one of the reasons why we can't finish Classical Studies as scheduled. I don't let him copy from the TG. Instead, I write down the words from the TG and he does some brainstorming using the context clues and process of elimination to figure out the definition. Looking up all the words in the dictionary would take longer, so I think the bank method is working well for us.
                      Nieva, blessed to have such thoughtful MP friends

2021-2022: 8th year homeschooling and with MP
                      DS14, 9th~ MPOA Latin, Kolbe Academy Freshman
                      DS13, 8th~ MPOA except math and composition
                      DS11, 6th~ MPOA except math and composition
                      DS 7, 2nd~ MP w/ Mom

Stay with me, Lord, for You are my light, and without You, I am in darkness. ~St. Pio

Comment

I'm very glad to see this conversation, and the perspectives. I do think it was from an old thread that I got the idea of giving the child the definitions; but also I've seen posts which seem to refer to sending the child off with vocabulary as independent work. Your responses clarify the goals & various methods used.

Sarah, I appreciate the different tacks you are taking with your different children and your gentle reminder that we need to keep in mind the particular student we are working with and what work is appropriate and constructive for the particular children. Your second post for this helped me hone my understanding: I'm glad you took the time to explain more of your thinking & strategy!

ETA: thank you, MotherofProvidence, for the links you provided. The bank idea seems excellent for our purposes.
                        Last edited by serendipitous journey; 09-26-2015, 12:16 PM.
                        Ana, mama to
                        ds A, 15 yo
                        ds N, 10 yo

Comment

Let me add that the literature vocabulary is different from your history vocabulary in intent. The literature words are intended to help students work on figuring out the meaning of a word based upon its context in a sentence. We do these words together, guiding the students toward thinking about them. But that can be very time-consuming, so sometimes, to speed it up, I would put the bank of answers on the board for students to choose from. The vocabulary in Classical Studies or Christian Studies is intended to make sure students know the words they may not have been exposed to before in order to enhance their reading. I spent very little time on these words. We went over their meanings before reading, and I fed the answers to the students. Vocabulary in these subjects shouldn't take as much time as the vocabulary in literature since it is a totally different goal.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                            Let me add that the literature vocabulary is different from your history vocabulary in intent. The literature words are intended to help students work on figuring out the meaning of a word based upon its context in a sentence. We do these words together, guiding the students toward thinking about them. But that can be very time-consuming, so sometimes, to speed it up, I would put the bank of answers on the board for students to choose from. The vocabulary in Classical Studies or Christian Studies is intended to make sure students know the words they may not have been exposed to before in order to enhance their reading. I spent very little time on these words. We went over their meanings before reading, and I fed the answers to the students. Vocabulary in these subjects shouldn't take as much time as the vocabulary in literature since it is a totally different goal.

Tanya
                            Tanya, thank you for making this explicit. It is something I've intuited but hadn't formalized -- I'm so glad of the literature vocabulary, and we do end up spending time on it, partly because the meanings are often subtle and partly because so many of the words are ones I know he'll be seeing in the future (they are usually just terrific words -- like "gaunt" and "friar" -- that will come up over and over as we read great literature). It is so good to have the benefit of your perspective & your encouragement.
                            Ana, mama to
                            ds A, 15 yo
                            ds N, 10 yo

Comment

Yes that was very helpful, as was Sarah's comment on which children should be pushed. I know for my oldest, it is a struggle to get him through some of his work. The idea of having him copy the answers was very freeing for the vocab. With my 3A student I started doing it simply to save time, but now I think I will challenge him to start using the dictionary. This is where homeschool has its advantages, because we can cater to the strengths and weaknesses.
                              Christina

Comment

Working...
                              X