Math Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math Facts

We are finishing week 7 of first grade. This is our first year with MP. We review math facts several times a week. I'm trying to have appropriate expectations of my daughter. She is so good at memorizing. But she is not getting the facts down. I think that she knows more than she's letting on. Drilling flash cards and doing practice sheets takes forever. Should we just keep going or do I need to stop ar this point and get these down (addition families 1-7 and subtraction families 1-5). I'm nervous because so far everything has been review but next week we'll start new lessons. And I hate to add on when I don't feel like we have a solid foundation yet. IF we do need to pause, what can I do to help her? I know she's capable of memorizing this I'm really at a loss of what to do. After 7 weeks of reviewing I thought we would have these down by now.
    Last edited by katy; 09-25-2015, 12:49 PM.
    Katy
    2017-2018
    DD 8, 3A
    DS 4, Junior Kindergartem

Re: Math Facts

Katy,

I definitely would not go on to the next lesson until you are sure she has those initial facts down. Sometimes students take longer completing the facts pages because they are tedious. Try setting a timer for a reasonable amount of time and tell her you want her to be finished by then. (Snack time or 10 minutes of play are a good incentive to follow.) If it is more that she can't do them faster because she doesn't know them, the only way really to learn them is by practicing them. Go through the flashcards right before working on a page. Maybe do the page line by line timing each line to see which she could do the fastest ( so she is racing herself.)

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Comment

Michelle,

Thank you for those tips. That's exactly the kinds of ideas that I need. I just gave her a practice sheet to do in the car on the way to Karate class and she finished it in 10 minutes!! That just confirmed to me that she is getting it she's just lacking the motivation.
      Katy
      2017-2018
      DD 8, 3A
      DS 4, Junior Kindergartem

Comment

Katy,
        Choose one of her pieces of music from the enrichment and see if she can finish her page before the song ends! You can gradually choose shorter songs to "speed" her up. Just another idea to keep it light. Obviously she can do it and I bet a little distraction or even competition (racing the song) might help.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
        12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
        10th • HLN, Latin online
        7th • HLN & Home
        4th • HLN & Home
        Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Thanks, Jessica! Great idea.