Talk to me about studying for 5A/6S literature tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk to me about studying for 5A/6S literature tests

My daughter just took quiz 4 in Adam of the Road and I am looking ahead to the test in two weeks. I noticed a whole week is scheduled for study for the test and I couldn't figure out why that much time was needed. I'm used to the MP tests where almost all the questions come from the quizzes or review sections. However, this test looks different. There is no "review" section for the final test. That led me to believe everything on the final test would come from the 5 quizzes and that if she studied the five quizzes, then she would do well on the test. That is not the case. Almost a quarter of the vocabulary words on the test were not on the quizzes. Most of the "Who said that" quotes were not on the quizzes. It seems very overwhelming to have to study the whole book without help narrowing down what will be on the test. The "Who said that" is limited- each of the 23 chapters highlighted one quote and all the questions seem to come from those highlights so they only have to study 23 quotes. But the vocabulary is quite overwhelming. My daughter had much trouble each quiz with studying the list of 20 or so words studied in those chapters. I can't imagine having her study all 100 plus words from the whole book. She forgot many of them already. I know the idea is mastery, but that is too many words for her to master in 8 weeks. Maybe it is because she is mildly dyslexic and has trouble with verbal memory. I always gave her a list of all the words from the chapters for the quiz so she could have a list to choose from rather than just recall the word from thin air (a skill which is very difficult for dyslexics). I was grateful to see that the test already has a list of words to match. That will help. But there are just too many words for her and many of them are so similar and have almost identical meanings. I had planned to have her study all the words from the quizzes as that would narrow down the list she needs to master. But since many of the test words are not on the quizzes that means she either has to study every single word or else I just have her study the actual words on the test which seems a bit like cheating. So talk me through this. We have a week to study. In that week, she can certainly make sure she remembers all the comprehension questions. That is not a problem as she remembers the story itself quite well. It is specific names, places and vocabulary that she has trouble remembering. She can certainly study and remember all the quotes too. But I'm not sure how to approach studying vocabulary (and identification for that matter). Since I am a homeschool teacher and I can adjust as I wish, I will probably just have her study the actual words and identification that are actually on the test. I can make that decision. But I wonder if other kids require that level of help or if they can just study every single vocabulary word from the whole book and get them all correct on the test? What is the "standard" expectation here? What do the classroom teachers do? How have other homeschoolers done it?
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 20, Physics major
    DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
    DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Re: Talk to me about studying for 5A/6S literature tests

Momgineer,

I am responding to this post even though it has nothing to do with primary grades because my daughter is going through this program at HLS. After looking over the material, I see that you are correct about the amount of vocabulary. In the previous grades students know that the final will be the same information as what was on the quizzes usually no more. Students therefore have mastered the information on those quizzes. The extra week's worth of study is given not only to quickly review those quizzes but also to teach/review the vocabulary not quizzed upon previously. If your child has mastered the vocabulary on the quizzes but the extra vocabulary on the final is too much, just give her an oral quiz over the vocabulary from all the previous quizzes. That is plenty and is a good adaptation of the material in which all that is given up are a few vocabulary words. It is what I would do if I were teaching the material at home.

HTH,
    Michelle T

Comment

I don't know if this is helpful, because I am new to MP. I am making quizlets for every 5 chapters. I include all the vocab, comp. questions, and quotations. I will have him review all the previous quizlets when it is time for a test.
      Christina

Comment

We also use quizlet to make flashcards of vocabulary words and characters in the literature studies. It works very well for us.
        Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
        DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
        DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Comment

momgineer, I'm so glad you brought this up. We aren't there yet, but we will be!

One thought I have is to approach this particular test, perhaps, with an emphasis on helping the child do well on just this test: probably teaching the specific vocabulary, quotes, &c in a daily review. Then, if you want to use a different strategy going forward, you could do that for future test preparation. This is an approach I often use and it is effective in alleviating short-term stress and setting us up for long-term success.

FWIW my child, who does not have language processing challenges, will need frequent cumulative review to master the vocabulary and sayings. Which is one reason I'm grateful you posted!
          Last edited by serendipitous journey; 09-26-2015, 04:42 PM.
          Ana, mama to
          ds A, 15 yo
          ds N, 10 yo

Comment

Following as we will be in this position soon.

Comment

Another vote here for Quizlet to prep for weekly and unit tests! If you search by the title of the study, you often find one already prepared that you can copy or simply place in one of your folders. Since we don't use a computer for anything else Quizlet ends up feeling like a treat. Odd, I know, but it works!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
              12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
              10th • HLN, Latin online
              7th • HLN & Home
              4th • HLN & Home
              Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Hello.

When I taught 5th grade, I reviewed the students directly from the test each day. We used games sometimes. They generally had a very good recall on the material directly from the story, so that didn't take much review. But if I thought the vocabulary was too challenging, I would tell them they had to get half of the words correct, and the rest would be bonus, or something like that.

Nothing wrong with adapting! For over-achieving students needing a challenge, it's good to have a test like this!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
                  momgineer, I'm so glad you brought this up. We aren't there yet, but we will be!

One thought I have is to approach this particular test, perhaps, with an emphasis on helping the child do well on just this test: probably teaching the specific vocabulary, quotes, &c in a daily review. Then, if you want to use a different strategy going forward, you could do that for future test preparation. This is an approach I often use and it is effective in alleviating short-term stress and setting us up for long-term success.

FWIW my child, who does not have language processing challenges, will need frequent cumulative review to master the vocabulary and sayings. Which is one reason I'm grateful you posted!
                  I like this idea. I was telling my oldest today that in high school and college the first test with a new teacher is really about discovering what kind of test that teacher will give you. Often it is vice versa for the teacher, so he/she can see if her test matches how she's teaching. So your idea helps cut through that unknown.
                  Christina

Comment

Working...
                  X