Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First grade divided curriculum manual and phonics for reading/spelling--Brilliant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First grade divided curriculum manual and phonics for reading/spelling--Brilliant!

Thank you so much to Mrs. Lowe (and any others) who put in the leg work to reformat the first grade curriculum manual into the two-page layout guide and the separate phonics for reading/spelling guide. It has made working through the morning so peaceful!

You people are so awesome, really.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
    DS Hillsdale College freshman
    DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
    DD 8th • HLN & Home
    DS 5th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Re: First grade divided curriculum manual and phonics for reading/spelling--Brilliant

Where do we find this?
    Jen H
    DD 7 years old, 2nd grade
    DS 5 yrs old, Jr K

Comment

Re: First grade divided curriculum manual and phonics for reading/spelling--Brilliant

Originally posted by RanchMom View Post
      Where do we find this?
      I am wondering about this as well. I ordered the complete first grade curriculum for the twins in late February or early March. Is this really helpful?
      Dawn
      Son and Daughter (twins) 8, MP Second Grade 2016-2017
      Completed Jr. Kindergarten, Kindergarten, First Grade
      Son 22, Corrections Officer, Marching Band Horn line Instructor
      Daughter 17, PS, 3rd year Marching Band, 1st Flute

Comment

Hello.

When Cheryl and Michelle wrote the new First Grade Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling, it allowed us to take the detailed phonics & spelling activities out of the curriculum guide, so it is now a 2-page spread rather than 4 pages per week. If you would like to make the switch, you can email [email protected], and we'll take care of it for you.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

I think it really depends on how you like what you already have. If you like having it all in one book, and by "it" I mean all the plans as well as the phonics details, then you are good to go. If you find the four-page spread hard to work with like I do, then the update will be helpful.
          Here's what the updated one looks like, this is week three of First Grade: Click image for larger version

Name:	MP First Grade Two Page Layout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	103776

If you want to switch to this, just email [email protected]
          Note to Tanya and crew: the product sample on the first grade page is still showing the PDF of the old format. Just fyi.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
          DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

I agree, I love the new format, works really well. I would add also that the extra practice pages for cursive and spelling are corrected in the back of the new lesson plans, as in the spelling lists are in the right order. The printed and spiral bound ones I received are missing some of the spelling lists and in the order that they used to do but have changed. I went to my order files to print them out and the digital ones are still the old order. I don't mind pulling them out but it would be great to eventually have them updated so we can print them out and have them in a folder!
            -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
            2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
            Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Thank you Tanya, Jessica and Maggie.

I think a two page layout would work better for me as well since i am scatter-brained to begin with. I was wishing for the phonics and reading to be next to each other. So another wish granted from MP.
              Dawn

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                I think it really depends on how you like what you already have. If you like having it all in one book, and by "it" I mean all the plans as well as the phonics details, then you are good to go. If you find the four-page spread hard to work with like I do, then the update will be helpful.
                Here's what the updated one looks like, this is week three of First Grade: [ATTACH=CONFIG]239[/ATTACH]

Note to Tanya and crew: the product sample on the first grade page is still showing the PDF of the old format. Just fyi.
                Thanks so much for the sample. I LOVE it. It looks so much more streamlined than the four page layout.

The love note at the top is special too. What a joyful blessing!
                Dawn

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                  Here's what the updated one looks like, this is week three of First Grade: [ATTACH=CONFIG]239[/ATTACH]

Question about your picture and lesson plans. I noticed that in week 3 you are working on Little Bear. For some reason with ours we aren't staring Little Bear until week 5. I have a new guide, ordered this past spring. Were the lesson plans changed along with the format?
                  Jen H
                  DD 7 years old, 2nd grade
                  DS 5 yrs old, Jr K

Comment

Ranchmom,
                    Great question. I'll have to leave that to the MP folks as I only have the 2-page updated one on-hand. We just started Little Bear this week after two weeks of reading the 10 Pink Primary Phonics Readers (Set 5).
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                    DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Ranchmom,
                      Looks like there was a big shuffle on the Purple readers in the format redo. Check out this thread to see the difference:
                      http://forum.memoriapress.com/showth...ment-1st-Grade
                      Dawn helped me sort it out this morning. It kept sounding like we were looking at different things and we were!
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                      DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Maggie,

We have fixed that First Grade Worksheets file. I think that if you go back and download the file again, you will get the correct spelling lists this time. If not, let us know!

Tanya

Comment

Ranchmom,

We did move the purple readers around, so that you don't read them until you get to those phonics concepts. They are scattered throughout the guide now. Do you have the new 2-page spread curriculum manual? If not, just email [email protected], and we'll send it to you.

Tanya

Comment

Thank you for this thread. I would never know all these helpful tips, such as emailing for updated manuals without this forum.
                            Christina

Comment

I received my manuals in the mail yesterday, and I am amazed. Wow, just wow.

I was worried about teaching first grade phonics with the purple set of readers. I do not know all of the phonics rules, and I was questioning myself because I didn't think I could do this.

Now with the new manuals, especially the phonics/spelling, I have the confidence to teach this because MP has given me all the tools I need to be successful. So far we have been successful. They are reading well, writing very well with out much complaining, mastering math facts, and loving to learn.

A sincere thank you, MP. I couldn't do this without you.

P.S. The new manuals are gorgeous.....love the colors.
                              Last edited by Openhearted; 09-20-2015, 02:08 PM.
                              Dawn

Comment

Working...
                              X