Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MamaHill
    replied
    I'm sorry for the delay! I will attempt to attach the photos to this post.

We are now in Week 6 of Henle I, and this method has worked so well. I am doing Henle I along with my son, and these are pictures of my notebook. His, however, looks just the same and he's keeping up with it very well, despite his innate lack of organization.

I used Sarah's idea about the pouch to hold cards in the front. My son uses his, but I usually do not. I need to study more than him, so my cards are usually in my purse or on the school table or the kitchen counter, or ...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Henle 1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	116648

I copied the weekly assignments and that goes directly behind the pouch.
    So it's pouch, then a piece of cardstock, then the Weekly assignments. It makes it easy to mark what I've done and see what's next without the book.

Name:	Henle 2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	116649

And then the other tabs are pretty self-explanatory.

The Grammar forms are what's assigned in the Chalk Talk.

The Exercises are the ones that we complete each day.

The Vocab and Derivatives are the week's assigned work. We don't write them three times in one day, but three times over the course of the week.

Name:	Henle 3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	116650

I just start a new date for each day of that week and write the words, and then the derivatives on the assigned day.

The last tab is Latin Notes - and those are things I just can't remember, but aren't assigned as memory work. What exactly "case" means, or the whole penult/antepenult thing.

The other thing that is really working for me is using the Voice Recorder on my phone to record the declensions and then practice them. I want the declensions recited in the order that they are in Henle, plus my daughter's First Form conjugations in there. I'd love the Latin Grammar recitation CDs, but that would really only help me if I can stream them and that option isn't available yet. I don't have time to sit at the computer each day for recitation.

That's what's worked these first 6 weeks. Hope that helps some, Jeje!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jejegreer
    replied
    Originally posted by MamaHill View Post
    Michael, that helps tremendously. Thank you!

I created the notebook a few days ago, and it's worked out very well. I am working through Henle I with my son, so this is my nice and neat notebook. I'll post pictures for anyone else who might find this thread later. Visuals are always helpful to me.

(On a side note, Michael, I think you are the same Michael in the office that spoke with me yesterday about my son's Latin progression through High School to get to AP in 12th. My husband, son, and I had a discussion about it yesterday, and your comments helped clear up a lot of questions, and sparked new ones we wouldn't have thought of otherwise. We are really grateful for the guidance and experience you shared. Thank you for your time and willingness to help!)

Lauren
    Where did you post the photos? I am really interested.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by MamaHill View Post

I created the notebook a few days ago, and it's worked out very well. I am working through Henle I with my son, so this is my nice and neat notebook. I'll post pictures for anyone else who might find this thread later. Visuals are always helpful to me.

(On a side note, Michael, I think you are the same Michael in the office that spoke with me yesterday about my son's Latin progression through High School to get to AP in 12th. My husband, son, and I had a discussion about it yesterday, and your comments helped clear up a lot of questions, and sparked new ones we wouldn't have thought of otherwise. We are really grateful for the guidance and experience you shared. Thank you for your time and willingness to help!)

Lauren
    I am that same Michael, and you are very welcome!

Leave a comment:

• MamaHill
    replied

Lauren

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Good afternoon Lauren,

Yes, I would choose option A. This will allow your son to easily reference all his grammar forms in one location, review derivatives in a second location, and access prior homework in a third. For the additional "lists" mentioned in the Introduction (e.g., uses of the ablative), I would add a fourth tab labeled Syntax or Usage. Does that help?

Leave a comment:

• MamaHill
    replied
    I realize this is an old thread, but it's the most recent and relevant that Google would give me.

I've read the Teacher Manual notes several times now and I still think I'm missing something regarding the Henle I notebook. There's only 2-3 sentences about the notebook in the TM and it doesn't give specifics.

My 9th grade boy struggles with organization, so I need this to be as streamlined and logical as possible!

Will it be best for him to use a 3-ring binder and make tabs with:

a) Exercises, Grammar Forms, Derivatives

OR

b) Week 1, Week 2, etc.

I'm assuming Option A? Is there another way that would be best?

Thanks!
    Lauren

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Re: How to make a Latin notebook for Henle

Originally posted by generalsparky View Post
    Another notebook question:

There is supposed to be a section for derivatives. Do you just keep a running list or do they need to be organized in some special way?

Kelly
    There is no special way they have to be organized. You can have one running list or divide it by lesson. It would be helpful for students to note what the Latin root word is, along with the derivatives (e.g. portable comes from porto I carry).

Leave a comment:

• generalsparky
    replied

Another notebook question:

There is supposed to be a section for derivatives. Do you just keep a running list or do they need to be organized in some special way?

Kelly

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied

Super! Also, they keep a zippered, mesh/canvas pencil pouch in the front forthe flash cards they make. It is the kind that has three holes also, to fit in the binder.

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• generalsparky
    replied

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
    Kelly,
    My kids use a binder with looseleaf paper and section divider tabs. This has been a great way to keep it all organized, and they have used the same binder from one year to the next (they are in year 3 of Book I) and all they have to do is take out their exercises to clean out for a new year. All their other sections continue to build.

AMDG,
    Sarah

Awesome! That sounds like a great plan. Each kid has their own binder with pocket dividers for each subject. This will work out great.

Kelly

Leave a comment:

• generalsparky
    replied

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Yes, there is only one notebook that students make. We provide our idea for how to organize it in the introduction, but feel free to organize it however works best for you. Does this answer your question?
    Thank you! The study guide copy I am using is from 2000 and I didn't notice when I read the intro that two pages were stuck together. Of course the page on how to set up the notebook was one of them.

Kelly

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied

Kelly,
    My kids use a binder with looseleaf paper and section divider tabs. This has been a great way to keep it all organized, and they have used the same binder from one year to the next (they are in year 3 of Book I) and all they have to do is take out their exercises to clean out for a new year. All their other sections continue to build.

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

Originally posted by generalsparky View Post
    I'm having a hard time figuring out how to help my son set up his Latin notebook. Is the grammar notebook the lessons plans refer to on Day 2 different from the Latin notebook part B of Day 4?

Can we do it all one notebook and maybe make tabs for the different sections?

Thanks,

Kelly
    Yes, there is only one notebook that students make. We provide our idea for how to organize it in the introduction, but feel free to organize it however works best for you. Does this answer your question?

Leave a comment:

• generalsparky
    started a topic How to make a Latin notebook for Henle

How to make a Latin notebook for Henle

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to help my son set up his Latin notebook. Is the grammar notebook the lessons plans refer to on Day 2 different from the Latin notebook part B of Day 4?

Can we do it all one notebook and maybe make tabs for the different sections?

Thanks,

Kelly
Working...
X