Teaching PreK, 1st, and 3rd Famous Men of Rome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaching PreK, 1st, and 3rd Famous Men of Rome

We are starting with MP this year. Though 3rd grade is Greek Myths, we already worked on those last year, for the full year, D'Aulier's and SOTW, and books from the library and on CD, and Greek History and Ancients. We do History together, it is fun for the Kids, and we do map work/geography as well. Since we had done the Greeks, I decided to purchase The Famous Men of Rome. I have the Student Guides, the teacher guide, and the red book/reader.
    Has anyone tried to teach Romans to a group vs one child? I also have a baby, so it would be helpful to teach them History as a group as they are used to that.

Solutions I come up with:
    Maybe let the 3rd grader do the Student Guide
    Let all the children participate in the memorization/power Quiz.
    Use some of the SOTW activity coloring pages for the 1st grader and Pre K to do while I read out loud.

Anyone have any experience doing School this way? what are your solutions?

Thank you!

K

Re: Teaching PreK, 1st, and 3rd Famous Men of Rome

K,

I hope you are gearing up for a great first year! I am excited for you

Sounds like you guys had a great time covering Greek myths last year, and what a great exposure for all your gang of little ones! While it would seem "natural" to then move on "in time" to study the Romans, I would caution you to wait at least a year before choosing Famous Men of Rome. FMOR is a fantastic course, and it really sets a great foundation of the history of a very important part of our civilization. I know you guys will love it, but I also know, your oldest child will get more out of the experience of the course if you wait at least a year before having him/her cover it. It may not seem like it now, but the added maturity of another year to year and a half will help your child appreciate the history of the Romans a lot more. Your younger children will eat up whatever you do together, so the greatest decider is the age of your oldest.

Memoria Press has come out with great packages of American History novels for this age-group, which you could use to focus on American history for the year, while continuing to review the Greek Myths to ensure mastery of the material. If you add in SOTW book 4 for worksheets and whatnot, you could have a very low-stress, delightful year of history, without jumping too far down the classical track. Plus, you can focus on doing the rest of third and first really well.

It is what I would do!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7