Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IEW at HLS

Hi Everyone!

I am a newbie to forum posting (I've been trying to start this week!) although I have read everything you've all posted over the last year, which was my first with MP. A very sincere thank you to all the advice I've read this year. Whenever I had a question, it had already been asked and warmly and intelligently answered already!

My question now is about ATF&F in the 3A curriculum I am using this year. I was watching a youtube video covering the 3-4 grade overview with Jessica Watson. She said that at HLS they are only really focusing on the first 2 units, the keyword and story sequencing, in third grade. The 3A plans cover all the units in the program. Is that simply a time constraint since the classroom teacher has so many more children to work with than most of us do at home? Or should we at home perhaps focus more time on the first 2 units as well? I read through the program and it seems fairly doable as is, but I was just wondering if there was a benefit to focusing more narrowly this year. I'd be curious how they were stretching those 2 units over a whole school year, and if there were other things they were doing to supplement it, like outlining or sequencing readings that were supplied elsewhere.

I'm fully prepared to use the plans as written...just wondering if anyone was doing them any differently.

Thanks!
    Tracy
    Tracy
    My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
    MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Re: IEW at HLS

Hello.

I do believe Jessica's time restraints in the classroom are the reason she is focusing on the first 2 units of ATF&F. Our 3rd graders only go to school 4 days a week, and they have lots of subjects, so I think our teachers just want to make sure they get through those first two units thoroughly, and then if there is time left over, they will do some more work in the book. Actually, they may get further than they anticipate once they get into the program. It's like any new program - it takes longer the first year to figure it out, but once you've taught it, you can move much more quickly and efficiently.

We'll know by spring!

Tanya

Comment

Thanks Tanya...I'll be curious to see how far we all get!
      Tracy
      My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
      MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

Also, if you watch the video Dr. Pudewa mentions that even for young kids you ought to spend a month on each unit (you know the 9 units) otherwise he said it is too boring for them. So one month notemaking and outlines, summarizing from notes, etc. there is a webinar mentioning "Starting Strong September" with units I and II

K

Comment

Working...
        X