Tell me about StartWrite NAC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about StartWrite NAC

I forgot to order this with my big order so I went online to see if I could just download it and I discovered there is more than one StartWrite. It appears there is one that MP sells that is just NAC cursive and one that has tons of manuscript and cursive fonts. Are these from the same company and based on the same program just different fonts? Does the MP one do manuscript too? I want to use the font we are learning with NAC, but I like the look of all the other one can do for preschoolers and younger kids. Is it possible to get NAC as one of the fonts on the main program? Also, the main program is in version 6. Which version is NAC? They say version 6 is an entire redo of the program. I have read some critiques of StartWrite NAC and it not being user friendly. I am wondering if version 6 fixes this. And finally, can I just download the MP version rather than pay shipping to get a cd which I will promptly lose anyway?
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 23, graphic design and illustration major
    DS, 21, mechanical engineering major
    DS, 19, Dual chemistry and Philosophy major, considering Catholic seminary
    DS, 16, Kolbe 11th grade
    DD, 13, dyslexic, MP 8M
    DS, 10, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 5A
    DD, 4 (in Aug 2017), cutest little interrupter of school ever, some MP Jr K if we fit it in.

Re: Tell me about StartWrite NAC

Startwrite created a version of their program that includes our New American Cursive font and the manuscript font we use in our copybooks. It does not include all the other fonts that they include in their original program.

The version of Startwrite that includes the NAC font is version 5. Our agreement with them did not carry over into the new versions. I do not have experience with version 6 so I can't speak to whether it becomes more user-friendly.

We currently do not have Startwrite in downloadable form but we intend to work towards that soon. If you can wait a couple weeks we might be able to get that done before September. We are also working on having a version of the NAC font that you can download instead of the entire Startwrite program.

Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Director, Schools Division
    Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you Paul. I'm not in a hurry so I will wait and see what you come up with. Does the NAC one do everything I see on the start write webpage but with just the NAC fonts? Like printing boarders, bubble outlines of letters, start dots, guide dots etc? I have no use for all the other fonts but I want the abilities to do those special tricks with NAC. Thanks.
      DS, 16, Kolbe 11th grade
      DD, 13, dyslexic, MP 8M
      DD, 4 (in Aug 2017), cutest little interrupter of school ever, some MP Jr K if we fit it in.

Comment

No, when we get the font workable it will only be able to be used as any other font is in Microsoft Word or a similar program. If you want to be able to do those special things, you will have to get the Startwrite CD (which we hope will be available as a download soon).
        Paul Schaeffer
        --
        Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you again. I miscommunication my question, but you answered it anyway! I was wanting to know if the NAC version of Startwrtite did all the special things the regular Startwrtite does except just with NAC fonts. It sounds like it does. I will look forward to a downloadable version or just order it later if I need. Thanks again.
          DS, 16, Kolbe 11th grade
          DD, 13, dyslexic, MP 8M

Comment

Thread resurrection! I was just poking around to find out if the NAC font is available for download outside of the Startwrite program and I stumbled on this old thread. Was that goal ever reached, Paul?

Comment

Ha, funny you should ask! I am still working with the developer on that--I've actually been back and forth with him a few times in the past week. I am currently in the stage of "overly hopeful" that it will be done before summer (actually way before that but I don't want you joining me in that "overly hopeful" stage!).
              Paul Schaeffer
              --
              Memoria Press

Comment

Yay! Do you know if the manuscript font used in the MP copybooks will be available also? I'm mentally brewing a catechism copybook project for my kiddos, and I would love it to match up to their handwriting lessons as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by April Coburn View Post
                  Yay! Do you know if the manuscript font used in the MP copybooks will be available also? I'm mentally brewing a catechism copybook project for my kiddos, and I would love it to match up to their handwriting lessons as much as possible.
                  Just a quick update that Paul is travelling for the next week and a half, so it may be a bit before he can get back to your question. Apologies in advance for this possible delay!
                  Michael
                  Memoria Press

Comment

No worries

Comment

Hi April,

Currently the manuscript font is on the docket once we get the cursive font done!

Paul
                      Paul Schaeffer
                      --
                      Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
                      X