Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pickandgrin
    • Jun 2012

Rod and Staff English 6

Could someone who has used Rod and Staff English 6 comment on how much time the daily lessons take? I've looked at samples online and it looks like a great year of work. I'm a little concerned about a workload increase though as we are very used to English Grammar Recitation. I know EGR 4 is going to be ready by the fall, but I'm thinking of simply using R&S since it'll be planned for the entire year. The week 1 of accelerated sixth has four English Lessons and a day of worksheets. Is this the normal pace? What have your experiences been like with it? My son likes to work independently; is this a good course to be completed by the student and simply checked by the parent?

Thank you in advance!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'23-'24 • 14th year HSing • 12th year MP
    DS Hillsdale '26, English Major/Classics Minor
    DD 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE, Hillsdale '28
    DD 9th • HLN, Latin online, & Home
    DS 6th • HLN & Home
    Me • Lukeion Latin 3 online

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

"Most people overestimate what they can accomplish in one year and underestimate what they can accomplish in five." -Mrs. Cheryl Lowe
  • Lemonade
    • May 2014

Re: Rod and Staff English 6

We used R&S 5 for 6th grade. Yes, that was the pace for the year (4 lessons per week and usually a day of worksheets). We only did the worksheets when there was a "trouble spot", so we did not do the worksheets as scheduled. We enjoyed Friday not having English, and sometimes we used this opportunity to do a poetry study from the poetry book. We did the writing lessons (which I really like), too, so we really didn't keep the schedule.

My son was not very independent, but I think that is partly my fault. He is a "rusher" so I had to slow him down and make sure he got the concepts. We did some of it orally (which doesn't work independently though). I hope to move him more towards some independence this year , and it can certainly be done that way. I allowed him to treat the student book like a workbook and write in it (or circle, underline). They are inexpensive enough that I could justify it.

Timewise, it really varied from day to day. Sometimes 15 minutes, and sometimes 45. It just depended on the task (diagramming days were loooong), and picking out the correct usage lessons were quick.

Comment

• tanya
      MP Representative
      • Feb 2009

If you are doing Latin, you can certainly cut back on the R&S Grammar. You can do a lot of it orally because you are just trying to make the connection between Latin grammar and English grammar. Students need to see that the parts of speech work the same in both languages. That R&S course is so comprehensive that it can take an hour a day if you complete every bit of it. But that isn't necessary for Latin students. They will get lots of their English grammar done in Latin class.

Tanya

Comment

• KF2000
        • Dec 2012

Hi there! I just went through and switched out everyone's old books for their new books, and hesitated when I got to R&S English books. (We have them all...so not a choice in purchasing). I ended up still putting them on everyone's shelves! I love the younger ones for being an enjoyable, light explanation of grammar concepts. EGR does great for memorizing, but the kids even say they love the books and that it helps.

And my sixth grader has never done EGR, so he has been doing them all the way through. He reads it independently, then we add it to our drill work together. I ask him the oral parts, and we have a standing rule that he has to do the diagramming. This year, I will have him do the writing assignments too. I just like them a lot, so we do them. It does not feel like overkill, and probably takes us five to ten minutes, tops.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

• pickandgrin
          • Jun 2012

Thanks, all! Yes, he'll be in Second Form so he'll be getting the daily dose of grammar-through-Latin. Sarah, once I get my books I might touch base about the best way to streamline.

As always, no question lingers more than a few hours until I get exactly the help I need. Thank you!!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

'23-'24 • 14th year HSing • 12th year MP
          DS Hillsdale '26, English Major/Classics Minor
          DD 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE, Hillsdale '28
          DD 9th • HLN, Latin online, & Home
          DS 6th • HLN & Home
          Me • Lukeion Latin 3 online

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
          Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

"Most people overestimate what they can accomplish in one year and underestimate what they can accomplish in five." -Mrs. Cheryl Lowe

Comment

Working...