Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Algebra l

Good Morning,
    I am looking for feedback from anyone who has used the Prentice Hall Algebra l. If you have, in what grade did your student do this? Also, I am not seeing a teacher's manual, so I am wondering where to get the answers to the daily problems. Thank you for any information you can give me.
    Ora et labora,
    Sandra

DD (17) - grade 12 (Divine Comedy, Precalculus, AP Latin, Senior Thesis, Fundamentals of the Faith, American Government, and Economics through MPOA Diploma Program)

DD (13) - grade 9 (Algebra ll, Fourth Form Latin, Logic l & ll, High School Comp. ll, through MPOA. Aeneid/ History of the Romans, Geography lll, and Biology at home)

My daughter used this text this year as an eighth grader. The text is very well-done, and my daughter was able to learn the material directly from the text. The daily work is to only do the odd-numbered problems, whose answers are all in the back of the book. The only time I would have my daughter do any evens were if she stumbled on a problem, we would work the surrounding even problems together, then have her retry the one she had trouble working. Sometimes I still had to help, but most of the time she would figure it out at that point. There is plenty of work by doing only the odds, and is the standard expectation of high school math texts.

MP has a tests and quizzes book for the text which is very helpful. We helped be guinea pigs for it this year, and it was helpful in knowing what portions of the text to cover (you don't need to do every section of every book). I am sure there either is, or will be, a lesson plan to help guide that as well.

I was very pleased with it. It is a traditional approach to Algebra, and is very thorough.

Hths!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    Last edited by KF2000; 05-20-2015, 08:15 AM.
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 8
    DD, 6
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Yes, thank you - this helps! We are switching from Horizons pre-Algebra, a difficult curriculum that covers A LOT for pre-algebra. I am following it up with Math-U-See - a very, very easy, hand-holding curriculum in comparison. We will finish MUS in a few weeks. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any gaps in her pre-Algebra foundation; I think she's pretty solid for a rising grade 8 student.
      Ora et labora,
      Sandra

DD (17) - grade 12 (Divine Comedy, Precalculus, AP Latin, Senior Thesis, Fundamentals of the Faith, American Government, and Economics through MPOA Diploma Program)

DD (13) - grade 9 (Algebra ll, Fourth Form Latin, Logic l & ll, High School Comp. ll, through MPOA. Aeneid/ History of the Romans, Geography lll, and Biology at home)

Comment

Sarah,

Could you explain what you mean by a traditional approach to algebra? Just content of the text or presentation or some of both? I have tutored my niece in algebra and algebra 2 and i know i hated her texts, but i can't quite put my finger on what the problem is. My daughter is going into 7th in the fall and I think she is ready for algebra. I have been looking at different texts and know kolbe has plans for Jacobs and I was wondering how this compares. It is so hard to decide without looking at them in person. I have a late 60's copy of Dolciani (teacher and student) but I would really like something with quizzes and tests already created. I would love to put my hands on my old algebra book as comparison, but what eighth grader pays attention to the authors of their books?

Thanks!
        Dorinda
        Dorinda

For 2020-2021
        DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
        DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
        DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
        DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Hi Dorinda!

Let me preface it first by saying that I am also not a math expert! I did spend a lot of time looking at math options a few years ago, and read through a lot of other forums on Math, so we have a couple prealgebra books like what you mentioned. They were helpful to see from a comparison standpoint, but I did not find them to be as self-teaching as the Prentice Hall Classics book has been for Algebra. I have seen the Jacobs book, in that I have held it in my hand! But my expectation is that it is also very good.

The statement I made about it teaching algebra traditionally is that the Prentice Hall boom teaches Algebra the way I learned algebra, for the most part. I was taught algebra with old textbooks back in the day as well. The only sense I got from the book that there was any inluence of "modern math" activities was a challenge question here or there where the child was asked to write a paragraph about how to solve something instead of just doing the math work. Easily skipped, and had no bearing on the lesson, you know?

The great advantage I saw to doing Prentice Hall is that we are doing MP, and I no longer jump around! The guide with tests and quizzes is great, and any time I got stuck on something, I would post a question to CindyinIndy, who writes on the forum and wrote the guide. She also shared helpful info like, "skip this section," or "do the first way they teach you, but not the second option....it's confusing." I would imagin that is the sort of information that will be in the guide or in the lesson plan too. So I knew I had all the support I would need. If we were a family enrolled with Kolbe, I would follow what Kolbe did, so that if I needed help, they could help me. We use MP, so I knew if I needed help, MP folks could help me. Either way, your child will still be learning Algebra. Hths!

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 8
          DD, 6
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

My daughter in highschool used this text this year and my daughter at home used this text this year as an 8th grader. This is a very good book. We are using that last version that was pre Common Core. I found a used answer key at Amazon for about 20 bucks and my text was for a 2 dollars.

I love this program. I burned my Abeka Agebra and Saxon Algebra I books after opening this program.

Comment

Not on the Algebra topic, but addressing the textbooks that MP has chosen for the upper grades:

I have been working on a masters in education this year. One of my classes needed me to use an actual textbook in my area of concentration (chemistry). I borrowed the Hold Modern Chemistry text from the DoD high school my daughter attends. It is EXCELLENT. Absolutely fantastic. It covers all that high school chemistry needs to cover in a sequential, mastery based way (I'm calling you out, Apologia Chemistry!).

I noted that MP has selected the Holt Modern Biology for high school. Now, I have not actually seen it (besides, I run from Biology... not my thing), but given the excellence I have noted in the Holt Modern Chemistry book, I am yet again wowed and amazed at the MP choices for excellence in education.

All those years I scrambled around with my oldest kids, looking for "just the right" textbooks... MP has them all right in one easily accessible place. Oh, and if you need a tutor, they offer online classes to support their curriculum, too.

And Sarah? I completely understood what you meant by the "traditional Algebra approach" above. You know, the one where they student's knowledge builds one step at a time without all the distracting bits....

Jen
              DS, 27 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 25 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 22 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 12 yrs, 8th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

Had to laugh at the burning of the Saxon books....if no HOA, could have happened here!

AMDG,
                Sarah
                2020-2021
                DS, 16
                DD, 14
                DD, 12
                DD, 10
                DD, 8
                DD, 6
                +DS+
                DS, 2

Comment

The approach with the Prentice Hall is systematic, graphical and word problem oriented. I wanted to add that I find that the focus on word problems now is far better than the crappy word problems I did in highschool. Even though she doesn't have a cell phone my daughter completely was able to understand how to set up a function based word problem based on a cell phone plan. I have seen some homeschoolers complain about these relevant word problems, but I found they solidified both of my girls understanding of Algebra.

Besides, Saxon Algebra I is not a complete Algebra I program. You need to cover about one third of the Algebra 2 book in order to cover the material that your average highschool is covering in Algebra 1. Abeka Algebra isn't even Algebra to be quite honest. It is just equation solving. The graphical interpretation, functional notation, inequalities, parent functions are not to be found in the Abeka program.

Comment

Prentice Hall Algebra1 vs. Jacobs Algebra

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                    Sarah,

Could you explain what you mean by a traditional approach to algebra? Just content of the text or presentation or some of both? I have tutored my niece in algebra and algebra 2 and i know i hated her texts, but i can't quite put my finger on what the problem is. My daughter is going into 7th in the fall and I think she is ready for algebra. I have been looking at different texts and know kolbe has plans for Jacobs and I was wondering how this compares. It is so hard to decide without looking at them in person. I have a late 60's copy of Dolciani (teacher and student) but I would really like something with quizzes and tests already created. I would love to put my hands on my old algebra book as comparison, but what eighth grader pays attention to the authors of their books?

Thanks!
                    Dorinda
                    Dorinda,
                    You already received some good answers to the question "what is a 'traditional' approach to teaching algebra?" I wanted to add in my observations about Jacobs algebra vs. Prentice Hall algebra. First, please note that MP has selected the Prentice Hall "Classics" text, which offers a traditional sequence to learning all the important algebra topics (plus a few extra topics). The advantage of the "classics" text is that it minimizes all the distracting sidebars and dated photographs. There are some helpful graphics, and an occasional "dated" word problem (cost of CD's or land-line telephone calls). But the overall presentation is clear and uncluttered.

Jacobs algebra is a great text, but I find that the people who really like it are "math people", who enjoy Mr. Jacobs' intuitive approach to learning algebra. (His approach is not quite "traditional", because of the discovery methods he uses.) Although Harold Jacobs also wrote a geometry text, he does not have an algebra2 text. Mr. Jacobs referred his users to Paul Foerster's algebra2 and trigonometry text. (Paul Foerster was Harold Jacobs' student, who went on the teach mathematics and write his own textbooks).

So another advantage of the Prentice Hall classics series is that MP will offer the Prentice Hall Algebra2 text, which follows logically from algebra1, making that transition smooth. The Prentice Hall classics series also include all the topics covered on the SAT, including the probability and statistics topics. Jacobs and older textbooks such as Lial/Miller do not include these. I am not familiar with Dolciani, so I cannot comment on it. But there is an advantage to using a "newer" text if your student will be taking standardized college entrance exams.

Hope this helps,
                    Cindy Davis
                    Cindy Davis
                    Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
                    ds-26 college graduate: independent young adult
                    ds-24 college graduate: 3rd year med school
                    dd-22 college graduate: working as a registered nurse

Comment

Also Jacobs is now out of print. Kolbe will still give you lesson plans for it if you request it, but their default algebra now is the same Prentice Hall Classics that MP uses. I havnt used the PH book because we switched from using Jacobs to Discovering Mathematics for algebra. It is a Singapore Math book that unfortunantly is also out of print.
                      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                      DS, 21, chemistry major
                      DS, 18, Physics major
                      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
                      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

I guess I am getting a bit confused. Who is the author of the book that Memoria press is using? I don't see any specifics on the website and when I google it I see a prentice hall classics algebra 1 and algebra 1 by foerster that is also listed as a classics edition published by prentice hall. I went and looked and kolbe is using the foerster text. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Dorinda
                        Dorinda

For 2020-2021
                        DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History

Comment

Perhaps I misspoke! I was not aware there are two different books titled Prentice Hall Classics Algebra 1. Kolbe uses the Foerster one. I don't know which one MP uses so it might not be the same??? The Foerster one has a picture of a book with blue border and the other one has a picture of a book with a green border. Maybe someone who owns the MP book can say which one it is. I'm sorry if I gave a wrong answer.
                          Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                          DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                          DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                          DS, 21, chemistry major
                          DS, 18, Physics major
                          DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                          DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
                          DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

We use the Algebra 1 text by Smith, Charles, Dossey, and Bittinger. On the cover there is a picture of an inset book with a green border.
                            Michael
                            Memoria Press

Comment

Thanks!

Is it possible to get a copy of the table of contents anywhere? That was what I was searching for when I started getting confused about the authors.

Dorinda
                              Dorinda

For 2020-2021

Comment

Working...
                              X