Tips for Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hermione310 View Post
    Anyone else continuing with school over the summer? This is only our second week of MP (DD just started 3A), and we intend to go through the summer with occasional days or a week off here and there whenever the fit hits us. Just wondering if there will be other folks "in the trenches" on the forum this summer.
    Waving hand ..... me, me.

Since I work outside the home and homeschool, we school year round. My oldest at home (9) will be doing the rest of the 3rd core -- she just finished Greek Myths, Latina Christiana I, Literature 3 (Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web and The Moffats), and Intro to Grammar and Comp at the cottage school at Highlands.

This summer, we'll be doing
    Christian Studies I
    American Studies
    (we're following the 3rd grade moderated plans for these)
    Poetry (from the books she read this year - I think it ends up being 6 poems)
    Science (finishing up the animal studies in the 3rd grade plan)
    Spelling (we were a year behind with this -- she was a horrid speller until ..... Latin!)
    Math (R&S 3)
    Latin Review with Latine Ludere
    Cursive - we had put it aside, and it's time to resurrect it.
    Lots of free reading from Martin's book list -- she's going to keep a reading notebook -- a commonplace book for kids.

My boys will be finishing up kindergarten and moving into the 1st grade over the summer as well. My 3 year old will be doing the MP preschool, and I'll try to keep the baby from eating the crayons.

We take weeks off helter skelter around here. Because of my work schedule, we get in 3 to 4 days per week of solid school if we're lucky and the stars are aligned. Juggling lots of littles keeps me on my toes. Year round school saves my sanity.

My plan is to school early in the morning, do chores, break for lunch then hit the pool. I know my daughter (9) will have breaks for overnight camp and probably days/weeks at the barn where she volunteers. K/1st doesn't take that long if I can manage it without lots of distractions. (if all the stars are aligned!)
    Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
    DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
    DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
    DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
    DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
    DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

We will be going during the summer...

I am trying to get the boys ready to do full cores next year...I want to start the year in September and not in January, so we are working through the summer...
      Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
      DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
      DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
      DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

Prepare to be jealous, everyone. Potty training the toddler is on my summer to-do list!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
        DS Hillsdale College freshman
        DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
        DD 8th • HLN & Home
        DS 5th • HLN & Home
        Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
        Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Pickandgrin, that's one thing I don't miss! My baby is currently 3, I put off training him until about 2 1/2 .
          -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
          2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
          Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Jessica, I'm with you. We have a vacation at the beginning of June and then we're going hard-core on the potty training with my 2 year-old twins (boy and girl).

My oldest (starting K in August) will be working on writing her letters a little bit every day so we'll be (hopefully) more ready for all the writing in K.

This past week I went thru the school room and house, cleaning, organizing, and making lists of games and activities that haven't been used much lately (or that I forgot about because I'm a curriculum/supply hoarder!). I am writing all the ideas on slips of paper and putting them in a big Summer Fun Jar. Each day we'll grab a couple of pieces of paper out and do whatever they say. It will be fun for the kids, and it is good for me to have some planned spontaneity
            "Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." - W.B. Yeats

Educating with MP from Day One!
            Currently using 2nd, K, and SC1

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
              Prepare to be jealous, everyone. Potty training the toddler is on my summer to-do list!
              We are in the throes of that too. It's fine when we're at home, but gross when we're at a park or playground.
              Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
              DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
              DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
              DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
              DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
              DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

Marge, I love "planned spontaneity." Otherwise it's lunchtime before I come up with something to do for an outing.

And Jessica, my toddler has wanted to be potty trained but mommy has basically made him wait until I can focus on him alone! Such is life as the youngest.

The thing I love about homeschooling is how summer can mean so many different things. Interestingly my 4th grader found insects the easiest of his subjects and yet it always made its way to the very back of the back burner every week. So let's just finish it in the summer when there are actual bugs galore outside to study! ;-)

Christy

Comment

Working...
                X