K Reading Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K Reading Help

My daughter, in K, seems to have hit a road block with reading lately and I figured I'd reach out to you amazing people and see if you had any words of wisdom.
    She has done great with FSR up until recently. We are just finishing up book D. She did fairly well in the beginning with the "magic e" part (e at the end causing long vowels) and she does really well with the th, sh, wh and ch sounds, but now at that we are at the end and she is having to put some of them together she is really struggling. When we read words from Classical Phonics she will get anywhere from 25-50% wrong on the first try and some of them she just makes a nonsensical sound for, not even a word. I realize that some reteaching and review is in order but I'm not sure how to approach it. Do I order another new copy of Book D and start with this part again just going back through all of it, or should we just take a break from that sort of thing and spend time reading and practicing the lists in Classical Phonics?

Thank you for your thoughts! This group is amazing!
    Jen H
    DD 7 years old, 2nd grade
    DS 5 yrs old, Jr K

I would not panic. Ebbs and flows are so normal at this stage of the game! I would keep helping her along, and finish your year, but then do not let it go over the summer. Good practice at this stage would really help her. There is a bridge unit that MP has offered for students who need this sort of summer help before heading into first grade. I don't see it specifically on the website though, so when Michelle, Paul, or Tanya gets a chance, hopefully they can give you an idea of how to get it. It was put together for kids who are right where it sounds like your daughter is.

Hope that helps!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 8
    DD, 6
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Summer Phonics

Hi RanchMom,

If you have been using the Kindergarten Lesson Plans, there is a wonderful schedule for Summer Phonics and an explanation on p. 85. MP refers to it as a summer reading enrichment program, and it uses the EPS Primary Phonics Readers. It completes Set 2 and then goes through Sets 3 and 4, and they have even scheduled the pages of Classical Phonics that coincide with those! It is a 14 week schedule that can start the week of Memorial Day and end a week before Labor Day, but it is totally flexible to use when you need it.

The schedule is on pp. 86-87, and if you don't have the lesson plan book, they may send you a PDF of those two pages if you ask.

My daughter is having to switch gears for silent e as well. It's a shift from all of those short vowels and I can truly watch her little mind churning as she trains it to read long vowels differently.

In Christ,

Jessica

Comment

Thanks Jess! That is exactly what I was hoping someone would add! I even have the K lesson plans, and did not know it was right there in it! (We are obviously not at the end yet!)

So that is what I was trying to mention....maybe that would be a good way to keep her slowly making progress?

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 8
        DD, 6
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Are you doing the reading in Scamp and Tramp for the consonant blend practice and Soft and White for the silent e practice? If not, those two phonetic readers are the extra practice you need. In my experience most students need the practice those two books provide when they get to the blends and vowels with the silent e.

The bridge readers come after those for most. At this stage it should be as much phonetic reading as possible. It also doesn't hurt to repeat! This helps with accuracy, speed and expression! Students won't get bored because they like to know the answer.

Blessings,
          Michelle T

Comment

By the way, Happy Mother's Day to all!!!! Hopefully I will get to meet many of you at a conference this summer. If you come to a conference, stop by the Memoria booth and be sure to introduce yourself!

Blessings,
            Michelle T

Comment

Michelle,
              We are doing both Scamp and Tramp and Soft and White. What are the bridge readers you mentioned?
              I think at this point I am likely to go ahead and get book D again and run through it again.

Thank you!
              Jen H
              DS 5 yrs old, Jr K

Comment

RanchMom,

Did you go all the way through S & T and S &W or just a story here and there?

Michelle T

Comment

Before ordering something else I would read the other books cover to cover. It certainly wouldn't hurt to do Book D again.

The bridge books are the next sets of EPS Primary Phonics readers and coordinating pages of Classical Phonics. At HLS we use them as summer reading between k and first grades in preparation for beginning Little Bear in the fall. We realize how important it is to keep reading since we have got momentum! The Summer bridge books I believe are outlined in the appendix of your Kindergarten curriculum guide.

Blessings,
                  Michelle T

Comment

Thanks! We have read most of Scamp and Soft (we have a week left of K at this point, so at least all of the assigned stories). I will check out the appendix for the summer program and plan to order book D again. Even if we don't complete the entire book over again, I think it will be a small amount of money well spent.

Thanks again for the support of this forum, I can't imagine doing it without you guys!
                    Jen H
                    DS 5 yrs old, Jr K

Comment

Working...
                    X