IEW Lesson Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IEW Lesson Plans

I am looking at MP 3rd grade curriculum for my daughter. Now that MP uses IEW All things fun and fascinating instead of Introduction to Composition, where do I find the lesson plans? Do they come with the order of IEW or has the curriculum manual changed accordingly?

We have not released the lesson plans yet. We are just getting them in to the 3rd grade plans. We will be releasing them separately also. These plans will be pretty basic--essentially we are taking the suggestions in the Teacher Guidelines of the IEW book and putting them into our format (with their permission, of course).

Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Academy Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Paul,
      So the IEW program is becoming the default for third grade in the Core guide?

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Yes. We will continue to sell and support Intro to Comp, but the default will be IEW's All Things Fun & Fascinating.
        Paul Schaeffer
        --
        Academy Director

Comment

Thanks!
          AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

How does All Things Fun and Fascinating compare to Bible Heroes? I ordered Bible Heroes to use with my 3rd grader. Should I have purchased All Things Fun and Fascinating?
            DD 17 | 12th
            DS 15 | 9th
            DD 13 | 8th
            2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Comment

Does that mean that ATFF will be in the 3rd grade plans? If I were to buy the complete 3rd grade now vs in 2 months would it make a difference?

Thank You.
              Christina

Comment

Practically all the IEW books practice the same skills. As they move up in level, the student has to develop those skills in a deeper way. So the difference between Bible Heros and ATFF is that the source passages in ATFF are longer and the other exercises are slightly above the level of Bible Heroes. There is one specific difference: Unit VI (Multiple Source Research) is not included in the Bible Heroes book. This would be an important skill that we don't cover well in Classical Composition.

If you wait a couple weeks, the 3rd grade lesson plans will be updated. We are working on it today, so it shouldn't be long. If you buy today, you will still get the Intro to Comp books with those lesson plans.

Paul
                Paul Schaeffer
                --
                Academy Director

Comment

Unfortunately, I placed my order on Saturday, and it shipped out today! Will I be able to exchange the composition course for the IEW book and manual?

Thank you,

Lorna

Comment

I was able to catch your shipment before it actually left the building. We will swap out Intro to Comp for IEW and we will send you the 3rd grade lesson plans when they are updated.

Paul
                    Paul Schaeffer
                    --
                    Academy Director

Comment

Great timing! Thank you for doing this for me!

Lorna

Comment

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I will ponder this and figure out which I'd want better. I really could go either way. Will there be any other differences between ordering 3rd grade now and in a few months?

Thanks,

Christina
                        Christina

Comment

I have been considering whether to follow our co-op in using IEW or starting CC. I remembered a discussion a while back comparing and contrasting the two programs. After searching a bit, I found it!

http://forum.memoriapress.com/showthread.php?11407-IEW-s-Writing-S-S-vs-Classical-Comp

Reading it again, it dawned on me that this may just be the inspiration for introducing IEW in cores 2 and 3. If so, it definitely helped me appreciate the plan. I will admit before the re-read I was wondering about implementing one program, only having to become familiar and implement a different program shortly afterward. Now I am even considering having my boys start with ATFF before The CC that will be scheduled in their 4A/5S plans. This may mean doubling up on CC later on, when they are older though and have the practice. Now I just need to convince the mom who teaches IEW at our co-op that ATFF is the way to go this year! ATFF is listed as appropriate for 3-5 grades. Would it be too elementary for students a grade or two above and/or ones who have been acquainted with IEW already?

--Amy

Comment

Other than IEW, no, there will not be any other differences.
                            Paul Schaeffer
                            --
                            Academy Director

Comment

Originally posted by MAP7 View Post
                              I have been considering whether to follow our co-op in using IEW or starting CC. I remembered a discussion a while back comparing and contrasting the two programs. After searching a bit, I found it!

http://forum.memoriapress.com/showthread.php?11407-IEW-s-Writing-S-S-vs-Classical-Comp

Reading it again, it dawned on me that this may just be the inspiration for introducing IEW in cores 2 and 3. If so, it definitely helped me appreciate the plan. I will admit before the re-read I was wondering about implementing one program, only having to become familiar and implement a different program shortly afterward. Now I am even considering having my boys start with ATFF before The CC that will be scheduled in their 4A/5S plans. This may mean doubling up on CC later on, when they are older though and have the practice. Now I just need to convince the mom who teaches IEW at our co-op that ATFF is the way to go this year! ATFF is listed as appropriate for 3-5 grades. Would it be too elementary for students a grade or two above and/or ones who have been acquainted with IEW already?

--Amy
                              Do you mean for 6th or 7th grades? I would think it would be too elementary for those students. The passages are quite short and students in 6th and 7th grades should be capable of significantly more.

Paul
                              Paul Schaeffer
                              --
                              Academy Director

Comment

Working...
                              X