9th grade using 7th=8th grade books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9th grade using 7th=8th grade books

I am wondering if I can take your ancient world, ancient greek, and ancient roman books and make a one year ancient history course for my 9th grader. I would also like to add the Illiad and Oddessey for literature. I am new to Memoria Press. Thoughts?

Hello and welcome to the forums!

I think you can do that...My son is doing The Iliad and The Odyssey this upcoming year for his 9th grade year...He is not doing the ancient history books because he already did ancient history...There are people who use the 7th grade accelerated curriculum for their 9th grade year...
    Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
    DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
    DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
    DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

My upcoming 9th grader will do the 8th grade class so studies next year - Ancient Greece and Homer. He will do Ancient World also mostly as a refresher as I read it out loud to all the kids a year or so ago. He's asked if we can skip Rome, which I'm fine with, so it's just ancient world and Greece in 9th grade.
      Brit - Catholic homeschooling mom to 5 - 3 big boys ('01, '03, and '06), daughter ('10 - Down syndrome), and one more boy ('15 - always wound up, and non-stop movement and noise)

Comment

The way these books are used in the cores, is that the Ancient World is set as "Christian Studies" and is read throughout the year, as a history of the ancient Hebrews. The Book of the Ancient Greeks is read over a single semester, to prepare students to read the Iliad and the Odyssey both in the second semester. Then again, the Book of the Ancient Romans is read in a semester, to prepare for reading the Aeneid in a semester.

Trying to do all three of the Ancient books in a single year, as a single course, is ambitious in my experience. Keep in mind that one of the guiding principles of classical education, and the approach MP takes, is to spend time on materials to go into great depth of understanding, rather than to just cover the material. Trying to do all three back to back would make it harder to have this depth of understanding for the cultures your child is studying. There is something to be said for trickling it in, kwim?

That aside, if you did want to combine, perhaps a way you could look at it is to consider the Ancient World as Christian Studies, leaving it as a full year course. Then you could do Greeks and Romans as a full year Ancient History course. Then Iliad/Odyssey/Aeneid would be your literature component.

While this would be possible, I personally would suggest still spacing Greeks and Romans apart. There is something to be said for spending time to really get a feel for the Greeks before moving on to the Romans, and not rushing either one. Same with Homer versus Virgil. Your young person has an opportunity to let these cultures and their great works develop their soul, which takes time. Of all the material your child will study, these in particular do that the most, and therefore should be rushed the least. The history of America, or of Europe will not do for them what the ancients will. I would give it time, and combine other areas, before I would try to combine these.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

That was a good catch, Sarah...I didn't notice that the Book of the Ancient Romans was included in the OP's original plan for some reason...

We are doing The Iliad and The Odyssey as Classical Studies this upcoming year...We are doing The Story of Christianity for Christian Studies, so we are not doing The Book of the Ancient World...

Doing them all in one year may be a bit much...I agree with Sarah, and thank you Sarah for your post...I didn't realize both The Iliad and Odyssey were read in the second semester...I need to think through my plan a little more and make sure I have both semesters covered well...
          Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
          DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
          DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
          DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

Sure thing!
            AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            DS, 17
            DD, 15
            DD, 13
            DD, 11
            DD, 9
            DD, 7
            +DS+
            DS, 2

Comment

Ok, thank you so much for your insight. I thought it looked like a lot. I am now rethinking buying piece meal, and instead, buying the accelerated 7th grade package for 9th grade. It looks fantastic. I am used to traditional homeschool, but we've played around with Charlotte Mason, finding that we liked that, but finding that having a good plan book and a good way of evaluating what was learned is what I need. We used My Father's World for two years. Latin is a new concept for us, as is the composition. My upcoming 9th grader is weak in writing, so I would be going back to the Fable stage, I think, and hitting the most important concepts in that before going on to the next level. I would also have to switch to First Form Latin. The package still looks like a huge amount of work for even a 9th grader. Has anyone done what I've just described?

Comment

Using accelerated 7th for Ninth, with adjustments for composition and Latin would be a great ninth grade year! You would not have to start with just Fable...you could get the lesson plans to do a combination year of Fable and Narrative, which is very doable for an older student.

AMDG,
                Sarah
                2020-2021
                DS, 17
                DD, 15
                DD, 13
                DD, 11
                DD, 9
                DD, 7
                +DS+
                DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                  Using accelerated 7th for Ninth, with adjustments for composition and Latin would be a great ninth grade year! You would not have to start with just Fable...you could get the lesson plans to do a combination year of Fable and Narrative, which is very doable for an older student.

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  Great! Thanks for letting me know about that. I read that starting where we were that we should do those two levels in one year, but didn't know there were plans available. That will be a huge help for us. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X