Question about 1st Grade and Little House books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about 1st Grade and Little House books

I'm planning on using the 1st grade core next year, but I don't think we'll start until after Christmas. I see Christmas in the Big Woods, the Little House Christmas Treasury, and Winter on the Farm on the booklist but it looks like they aren't part of the Storytime treasures. How are these scheduled in the lesson plans? Are they read alouds or does the student read them? Will starting mid-year make these books out of whack?

Thank you.
    Susan

2019-2020
    A (11) - R&S math 4, Mash up of MP 2/3 & SC 4
    C (10) - R&S math 3, Mash up of MP 2/3 & SC 4
    G (6) - Simply Classical C

These books are all simply December-ish read-alouds to be enjoyed between Thanksgiving and Christmas and give a little literature work break. When you get to them in the lesson plan, you can simply skip forward over those weeks and on to the next book in Story Time Treasures/More Story Time Treasures. When wintertime rolls around again you can pull them out and read aloud.
    HTH!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Thanks pickandgrin! Exactly what I needed to know.
      Susan

2019-2020
      A (11) - R&S math 4, Mash up of MP 2/3 & SC 4
      C (10) - R&S math 3, Mash up of MP 2/3 & SC 4
      G (6) - Simply Classical C

Comment

We were off track with our going through 1st grade core as well. When I reached the Little House books in my plan a month or so ago, I almost did skip them as well and move on to the next "working" book, Make Way for Ducklings. However, after I thought about it, I went ahead and let my 1st grader read them over the course of a couple weeks to me as his Lit class time. Despite the spring weather, the books are timeless, beautiful and so delightful to any child! You can do as Pick and Grin suggested which would work just great but I will also add a couple points to consider from our experience.
        #1, We read these at a faster rate than planned in the planner just b/c we could and he really wanted to do so. He was absolutely ecstatic that after all the hard work he had been doing with Lit and Phonics up to that point, he was able to successfully pick up those books and read them. He cherished that accomplishment and reread them at night as well as to anyone breathing who would stop to listen!!! Once we progressed through them, then we moved into the Make Way for Ducklings and he is progressing right along.
        #2, Now that we have moved on, I would repeat this choice if I had to, since it really did give him a small break from the "work" of the Guides and it allowed him to spread his wings so to speak. We still did the phonics and spelling as planned during those weeks, but the light break did him noticeable good and he has returned to the new book and Guide work with renewed energy.
        During those couple of weeks, after recognizing his progress he began pulling more and more books off the shelves and reading them in his free time! When you reach this point in the 1st grade core work (esp. if you began with a non-reader), it is amazing to see the abilities and confidences that are blooming!

Can't go wrong either way, just thought I would share our experience.

Blessings,
        Elizabeth
        Elizabeth
        Currently using 6A (DS 11), 4A (DD 9), 2 (DS 7), and Jr.K (DS almost 5)

Comment

Elizabeth,
          First grade was a few years ago, so help me out here since you're fresh! I was thinking the My First Little House (can't remember the exact name) books as well as the Little House Treasury were for the parent to read to the child. Is it only the My First Little House books that he read or did he read the Treasury as well? I might have done that wrong. Just checking!
          Thanks,
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
          10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Comment

Christmas in the Big Woods and Winter on the Farm are meant to be student read literature. The stories are included in the reading portion of the curriculum guide, rather than the read alouds. We introduce first graders to the Ingall family and the characters they will come to love when they read Little House in the Big Woods in second grade. The Christmas Treasury serves as a nice read aloud supplement. It was more of a chapter book, a bit imposing for new readers! All the titles are an easy introduction to the classics!

Blessings,
            Michelle T

Comment

I am sorry Jessica, on second reading my answer was confusing to the original question! I had the 1st grader read the Christmas in the Big Woods and Winter on the Farm as written in the plan, just at a quicker pace. I skipped the read aloud of the Little House Treasury when we did this a month ago-- I read them during the actual Christmas time around here. So if you are ordering the 1st Grade Core than you can read the Treasury around Christmas time as a read aloud and then decide if you want your child to read the other two children's books as planned when you get to them. Even though they weren't seasonally appropriate per se, they were a welcome break and addition for my little guy!!

Hope that helps!
              Elizabeth
              Elizabeth
              Currently using 6A (DS 11), 4A (DD 9), 2 (DS 7), and Jr.K (DS almost 5)

Comment

Thanks, Michelle and Elizabeth! I'm so looking forward to my second trip through MP first grade next year!!
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Comment

You are welcome! I think the first grade curriculum is pretty good too!

Blessings,
                  Michelle T

Comment

Working...
                  X