Read Alouds for Older Children ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read Alouds for Older Children ....

Just out of curiosity, when y'all work through the read alouds (I'm looking at the third grade selections), do you read them aloud, or utilize audio books?

There are some (Winnie the Pooh, for instance), that I just don't enjoy reading aloud, but I like the audiobook versions.

Thoughts?
    Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
    DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
    DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Dianna,

We do both. Most of the books I will do as a read-aloud, but we will definitely use audio books at various times. Sometimes the narrators are just too good not to listen to. I especially love when we can get an audio book that is read by the author, such as Charlotte's Web or Indian in the Cupboard.

Melisa
    Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 10 years

dd - 9th grade using MP and Homeschool Connections
    ds - 7th grade using MP

Comment

Originally posted by MelisaBurke View Post
      Dianna,

We do both. Most of the books I will do as a read-aloud, but we will definitely use audio books at various times. Sometimes the narrators are just too good not to listen to. I especially love when we can get an audio book that is read by the author, such as Charlotte's Web or Indian in the Cupboard.

Melisa

Isn't it strange that I feel like I have to ask permission to do that?

Indian in the Cupboard is one of the first books we've ever listened to on audiobook, and it's one of our very very favorites.

Do you mind sharing which ones you listened to, as opposed to reading aloud yourself? We use meal times for read alouds, believe it or not.
      Plans for 2019-20

DS6 - 5 - MP K

Comment

If I find it on Audible, we use the audio version. If not, we read it. So, most are audio. Helps me to multi-task.
        DD 10th
        DS 7th
        DD 6th

Comment

I also mix it up between reading aloud and audio books. With a list for fifth and third plus all the other books I want to get to because they are amazing (hello, Read Aloud Revival!), I have to spread it into the car time, bedtimes, and rainy afternoons. I love the overflowing list though! There's always more!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
          @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
          10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
            Isn't it strange that I feel like I have to ask permission to do that?

Indian in the Cupboard is one of the first books we've ever listened to on audiobook, and it's one of our very very favorites.

Do you mind sharing which ones you listened to, as opposed to reading aloud yourself? We use meal times for read alouds, believe it or not.
            We also love Indian in the Cupboard. I was able to find the entire series of all four books on cassette (yes, we still have a cassette player and a VCR). They are all read by Lynne Reid and my kids enjoyed them all. I think Indian in the Cupboard is still the best, but if you can find the other three they are good too. I had to explain what a "skin-head" is to my kids. It helped being a teenager of the 80s.

My kids seem to always have something they are listening to, so we do listen to a lot of audio books. We also read aloud a ton. Our read-aloud time sounds similar to P&G. We always have numerous books going at any given time and like you, Dianna, we read aloud at mealtimes (breakfast and lunch.) We try to put the books down for dinner with papa.

The assigned read alouds that we have listened to on audio are Black Beauty and Just So Stories. It just turns out that we have read most of these books aloud, although we listen to alot of other stories. Anything read by Jim Weiss we listen to. We just listen to his reading of Old Yeller. It was wonderful! I could never have read it the way he did. We laughed so hard and then cried just as hard (well, I did. My kids just rolled their eyes, because I was crying through another story.) You should have seen me when I read A Little Princess.

Sorry, I got sidetracked, but I hope that helps a little.

Melisa
            Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 10 years

dd - 9th grade using MP and Homeschool Connections
            ds - 7th grade using MP

Comment

I plan on doing all audio books. I don't really enjoy reading novels aloud, and I have one son that asks constant questions while the other son just wants it to be over. I find that when we listen to the audio books, they have better retention and often will listen to the same book two or three times before moving on to another book.

I'm also going to have the them listen to the books they will use lit. guides for before school begins, so they know the story well and can focus on the lit. guide.
              Christina

Comment

We use a lot of audiobooks because we're in the car for an hour every day. They're a captive audience and it definitely helps them to listen!

Comment

Great thread, very helpful ideas, I didn't realize the authors of Charlotte's Web and Indian in the Cupboard are their own voices, very cool. Dianna I totally understand about needing permission for the audio! The perfectionist side of me thinking it has to be a certain way sometimes ends in nothing happening. I used to read aloud so much when my oldest children were little, now I read the cute little books from JrK and K to my smallest by my middle kids have gotten the short end of the stick. Andrew Pudewa re-inspired me at our conference in this area so this is a timely thread .
                  -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 16 grand babies 6 and under!
                  2019-20 MP 2nd, 5A, 10th MPOA, College student. Starting 7th year using Memoria Press
                  Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

We do both also. My kids love books and stories, but not always reading them themselves. I always have a novel I'm reading to them plus picture books/other books, dh always has a novel he's reading to them, and we always seem to have one audio book going. Plus they will relisten to audio books all the time if I let them. I figure the more the merrier but I haven't the time or the vocal chords to read everything to them.
                    Brit

Catholic mom to five
                    2019-2020:
                    Ds '01 - College freshman: Thomas Aquinas College
                    Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA Algebra 2, and a bunch of other stuff
                    Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
                    Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with little brother and BOB books
                    Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Comment

Originally posted by happyhappyjoyjoy View Post
                      I plan on doing all audio books. I don't really enjoy reading novels aloud, and I have one son that asks constant questions while the other son just wants it to be over. I find that when we listen to the audio books, they have better retention and often will listen to the same book two or three times before moving on to another book.

I'm also going to have the them listen to the books they will use lit. guides for before school begins, so they know the story well and can focus on the lit. guide.
                      We've ABSOLUTELY been doing this! This year, Rachel studied Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web and The Moffats. We started listening to each story about a week or so before Rachel began working through it at the cottage school. This way ... we all got to enjoy it as a family. She still had to read it (meaning in the book), but having the audio has helped! These literature selections have become some of our most treasured.
                      Plans for 2019-20

DS6 - 5 - MP K

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle Barrett View Post
                        We use a lot of audiobooks because we're in the car for an hour every day. They're a captive audience and it definitely helps them to listen!
                        This is when we listen to Story of the World. My kids are SO enthralled they don't want to leave the car!
                        Plans for 2019-20

DS6 - 5 - MP K

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie View Post
                          Great thread, very helpful ideas, I didn't realize the authors of Charlotte's Web and Indian in the Cupboard are their own voices, very cool. Dianna I totally understand about needing permission for the audio! The perfectionist side of me thinking it has to be a certain way sometimes ends in nothing happening. I used to read aloud so much when my oldest children were little, now I read the cute little books from JrK and K to my smallest by my middle kids have gotten the short end of the stick. Andrew Pudewa re-inspired me at our conference in this area so this is a timely thread .
                          Oh, Maggie, you are a girl after my own heart.

Perfectionism throws a wrench into much of my world. Like, I don't meal plan, because I want it to be perfect. AAACK.

I need to put systems in place, but also with flexibility.

Audible to the rescue, especially for those novels I don't like reading aloud.

BY the way, have you listened to the Read Aloud Revival podcast?
                          Plans for 2019-20

DS6 - 5 - MP K

Comment

I guess I'm old fashioned but we've actually never done audio books except for on long road trips. It would save my voice, but I really like being involved and would probably be tempted to go play in my kitchen while the kids were listening. Honestly, the books are so good and interesting to me that I'd hate to miss them. My husband reads aloud to my older ones at bedtime while I'm putting the toddler down, and I hate that they all have inside jokes and comments about the books that I don't understand.

My good friend has always utilized audio books a TON and it amazes me how well her kids retain information they have learned audibly.
                            2018/2019
                            Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
                            Ds 10: MP 5M
                            Ds 5: MP K

Comment

Yes, I have seen this audio magic at work in my own children. We get a stack of audio books on CD from the library and all the kids have CD players in their bedrooms, some with headphones. They all listen to audio books every night before bed as well as rainy afternoons (or during a mandatory quiet time like the one I'm about to lay on them right now this Sunday afternoon!). They listen to the same books over and over and trade them among themselves. We only own a few---Hobbit, LOTR, Narnia, one Peter and the Starcatchers--but we enjoy so many others without buying them. In the car I try to keep a good mix of light (and often short) and then longer, deeper books. We just did a Lemony Snicket followed by Little Women. We are on disk 9 of 16! Amazingly, even the Ker can follow right along. She's just grown up in a culture of listening and I both cherish that and envy her a bit. This morning she asked me to "stabilize" her bangs with some hairspray. Haha! Vocabulary is going to be a piece of cake for this one!

If you want to know more about building your family culture around books, I heartily recommend Sarah Mackenzie's Read Aloud Revival. Find the free podcasts here: http://amongstlovelythings.com/read-aloud-revival-the-podcast/
                              There is also a Facebook group here: www.facebook.com Search "Read-Aloud Revival Community"
                              Festina lentē,
                              Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
                              @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                              10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
                              X