Question about which enrichment year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about which enrichment year

I will have a 2nd grader and k'er next fall. My plan was to use the K enrichment guide, but then I saw that Patterns of Nature and the Eggleston history book were scheduled with the 2nd grade. Should I switch and do the 2nd grade? Are the books thematically scheduled in? If I stick with K, how do you think I should schedule those books? I'll have just my son them. He will love the nature book especially.
    DS 8th grade
    DD 6th grade
    DD 4th grade
    DS 2nd grade
    *Starting HLS Anderson Cottage School

I had a second and K'er this year...and we did the second grade enrichment. It worked well to combine them. Next year I will have a third, and first....so she will do first grade enrichment. The year after, I will again have a second and K'er...so we will repeat second, which will be great reinforcement! (Plus, things were added this year that she will not have done!)

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Are the second grade books more challenging than the K books?
      DS 8th grade
      DD 6th grade
      DD 4th grade
      DS 2nd grade

Comment

I don't think so...there is a lot of repetition, especially the Cat in the Hat learning library books, which are used in more than one year. I suspect the themes of the second grade read aloud books may be more complex than in K, but I have not done the K books, so I am not positive. They have all been really great stories, but I am glad my K'er will revisit them.

I think choosing to focus on the older enrichment set let my older child hear books that were interesting and thought-provoking, while my K'er simply enjoyed being read to. She will definitely get more out of them when we do them again when she is in second. If I had done the younger set, my second grader would have enjoyed them, but may have felt like she did not really have to participate in the "k" class. So it worked better for us.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

I like to think of the K-2 enrichment as a cycle rather than levels. This is our third year in the cycle and we'll be repeating again and again for about the next 5-6 years. It sets a good rhythm within the entire family of art and music and good picture books. The slightly older kids will often peek over at the picture books because they are timeless and lovely and often quite fun.
          HTH!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
          12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
          10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
          7th • HLN & Home
          4th • HLN & Home
          Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, Patterns of Nature and Stories of... are both scheduled in 2nd grade as their own component, not as part of the Enrichment studies. Is that right?

If that's the case, you could easily do K or any level of enrichment and still complete those parts of the 2nd grade curriculum without changing or adding anything.

Comment

We'll be at this for awhile 😊

Thank you for all the input. I have a 3 yr old and a one year old so I think we will just begin the "cycle " and keep going for the next 6 years or so. I love that we will be able to do this together even as the olders hit grade 3 and beyond.
              DS 8th grade
              DD 6th grade
              DD 4th grade
              DS 2nd grade

Comment

Jessica,
                I am rolling scheduling ideas around in my head....and I really like your cycle mindset. I know you have shared how you do the enrichment together in previous posts, but will you repeat it here?

Also, for others, jump in as well...we have little ones down with a bad cold, so I have time to dwell on this this week. Thanks!
                AMDG,
                Sarah
                2020-2021
                DS, 17
                DD, 15
                DD, 13
                DD, 11
                DD, 9
                DD, 7
                +DS+
                DS, 2

Comment

My youngest child will be in third grade next year...He is doing the second grade core with third grade math for his third grade year...We will use the second grade enrichment guide, but I will combine my third and 5th graders for the book readings and all three of my boys for the art and music selections...During the year after, we will do only the art and music from the K guide, then the art and music from the 1st grade guide...After this, my youngest will be a 6th grader...I may decide to circle through the art and music again since that sounds like a good idea...
                  Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                  DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
                  DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
                  DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

Originally posted by Angela View Post
                    I could be wrong, but as I understand it, Patterns of Nature and Stories of... are both scheduled in 2nd grade as their own component, not as part of the Enrichment studies. Is that right?

If that's the case, you could easily do K or any level of enrichment and still complete those parts of the 2nd grade curriculum without changing or adding anything.
                    Patterns of Nature and Stories of Great Americans are scheduled in the lesson plans in the "Literature & Enrichment" section and could be used independently of what level of enrichment you are using.

However, we only schedule Patterns of Nature as it applies to what they are already learning per the enrichment. So when they are learning about ornithology, they do the lesson in Patterns of Nature that is about songbirds. But when they learn about primates, they don't do anything from Patterns of Nature since there is no applicable lesson. In that way it is used in a more supplemental way. The lesson plans skip around in Stories of Great Americans in the same way. This doesn't mean you can't use them independently; this is just the way we have scheduled it.

Paul
                    Paul Schaeffer
                    --
                    Academy Director
                    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                      Jessica,
                      I am rolling scheduling ideas around in my head....and I really like your cycle mindset. I know you have shared how you do the enrichment together in previous posts, but will you repeat it here?

Also, for others, jump in as well...we have little ones down with a bad cold, so I have time to dwell on this this week. Thanks!
                      AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      Yes, please share! I am hoping to include my three year old and would love suggestions.
                      DS 8th grade
                      DD 6th grade
                      DD 4th grade
                      DS 2nd grade

Comment

Relaxed Enrichment

Sarah, Haha! Happy to, but prepare to be underwhelmed.

We always have music playing. I pull out all the K-2 music that is suitable for background music for work time and keep it running through the house often during school and non-school time. Songs like Mussorgsky's "A Night on the Bare Mountain," Verdi's "Dies Irae," and "You're a Grand Old Flag" don't make this cut. The kids love them and they rile up rather than soothe! I like music and find that it playing softly can help cut down on the distraction and chit chat that always creeps up with five of us in a room. The kids have most of the melodies memorized even if they can't remember the name of the piece or composer. I try to ask here and there to see if they can remember or I'll make a comment that includes the name/composer just to help reinforce. The current talent/annoyance is the two oldest learning to whistle. Their favorite selection of choice is Bizet's "Les Toreadors" from "Carmen."

The weekly art we keep on display on the school table. It's out and everyone sees it, hears us discussing it, and hears the Ker guess at names/artists during weekly art recitation. I've purchased an extra set of the art cards to hang in the kids' rooms but haven't gotten around to taping them up in our house since we've moved. My goal is to have them out on display, at least their favorites, so they are seeing them all the time. We also like the timeline on the bedroom walls.

As for the picture book, I read it to the littles and whoever else happens to be around and wants to listen. I leave them out in a basket and see the older two fetch them from time to time. Books like Roxaboxen, Ox-Cart Man, and Mr. Willoby's Christmas Tree naturally appeal to a much wider age range than K-2. I feel this way about almost every single literature section on the K-2 lists.

For the extra science/history/culture, we don't usually get to too many of those extra books. I check out what I can from the library and leave them lying about the house. Most of that has been added since we went through the primary grades with the third grader, so I know it is a robust curriculum even without those and feel guilt-free about not doing everything. Instead I have a hefty read-aloud Morning Time every day where I read to all the kids at once from various novels, picture books, plays, and fairy tales. That time is more important to me than getting to everything for the smallest kids. I see the older kids outside teaching the little ones about bugs and birds and trees and am pretty content for that to be sufficient.

I hope this realistic peek into the humble way we get it done helps!
                        Festina lentē,
                        Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
                        4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Jessica,
                          Thank you for that...it is different from your morning time routine, which I love! This actually makes me feel better. My older kids just sort of "pick up" on the art and music the younger ones are doing, since it is the only "media" we have going during the day. The read alouds draw the attention of whoever is around, and the other enrichment books are usually read independently, by everybody! I find it so funny to find eleven and fourteen year olds reading them, just because they read everything in the house!!!

You have eased my mind....thanks!
                          AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          2020-2021
                          DS, 17
                          DD, 15
                          DD, 13
                          DD, 11
                          DD, 9
                          DD, 7
                          +DS+
                          DS, 2

Comment

Enrichment by immersion, yes?
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
                            4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Working...
                            X