College of the Redwoods Algebra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College of the Redwoods Algebra

Hello, I am looking for feedback from anyone who has used College of the Redwoods for Algebra l. Specifically, did you feel there was enough teacher support, i.e., adequate explanation of the new concepts and answers? I am trying to make some decisions for my rising 8th grader, who has completed pre-Algebra (Horizons). She seemed to do the lessons and grasp the new concepts far easier than I expected, and I plan to keep her working through some review worksheets through the summer. I myself, however, do not have a strong math foundation, so I am not sure if this Algebra curriculum would give me what I need to help her through this.

Also, I am not having a lot of success in finding out very much about College of the Redwoods Algebra; I am curious why MP has decided to use it..?

Any other recommendations for Algebra l curriculum?

Thank you.
    Ora et labora,
    Sandra

DD (17) - grade 12 (Divine Comedy, Precalculus, AP Latin, Senior Thesis, Fundamentals of the Faith, American Government, and Economics through MPOA Diploma Program)

DD (13) - grade 9 (Algebra ll, Fourth Form Latin, Logic l & ll, High School Comp. ll, through MPOA. Aeneid/ History of the Romans, Geography lll, and Biology at home)

Only PreAlgebra is COTR

MP uses College of the Redwoods only for prealgebra. Algebra 1 is Classics (I believe from Prentice). You can search this forum for posts on that
    Last edited by Lemonade; 05-02-2015, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Good catch, Lemonade! You are right....

We used the Algebra I course this year for my eighth grader, and she has done very well. There have only been small issues with individual problems within lessons for which she needed help; otherwise, she has learned directly from the text. When I have stepped in to help her for those problems, I have been able to tell that she understands what she is doing. There is a tests/quizzes book being prepared for it, which guides you to which chapter sections to cover, and which ones are not necessary.

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Oops - somehow I got used to looking at the grade 7 curriculum; I now see where Algebra l uses something different. Thank you for clearing that up for me, and thank you for your feedback.
        Ora et labora,
        Sandra

DD (17) - grade 12 (Divine Comedy, Precalculus, AP Latin, Senior Thesis, Fundamentals of the Faith, American Government, and Economics through MPOA Diploma Program)

DD (13) - grade 9 (Algebra ll, Fourth Form Latin, Logic l & ll, High School Comp. ll, through MPOA. Aeneid/ History of the Romans, Geography lll, and Biology at home)

Comment

Working...
        X