Moderated vs Accelerated Path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moderated vs Accelerated Path

I am new to MP, and have been spending much time researching and trying to decide where to place my daughter. She is turning 9 on July 7, and I plan to get the 3rd grade package since we have not used MP previously. I am leaning toward the accelerated plan, as she is quite advance in her language arts skills. I already own Prima Latina, so planned to start her with this, and then move on to LC I. Would this be the correct choice of placement, or would it be better to take a moderated approach? My concern is getting stuck on the accelerated path as we continue through the years, if it turns out I should have chosen moderated. It does not look like it would work to switch from accelerated to moderate in later years.

Feeling confused, and just when I think I have it figured out, I change my mind again!

I appreciate any advice provided!!

Lorna

Hi, Lorna.

You can start with the accelerated program since that is your gut instinct. If you feel it is too difficult and moving too quickly, you can easily drop down to the moderated. We would be glad to send you the moderated plans if that happens. This gives you the freedom to try out the pace of the accelerated program without stress!

Tanya

Comment

Lorna,
      Welcome!
      We, too, came to MP in third grade a few years back when the only choice was what's now called the accelerated path. Agreeing with Tanya, I'd recommend the accelerated third knowing that if it ends up being too much too soon you can slow to half-pace with the moderated plans (which they'd send you for free!). Definitely give yourself one month to six weeks to get the hang of things first though! There is a learning curve for both student and teacher with MP. After it settles though, you may find that your third grader can do quite a few of their assignments on their own. The concern about being stuck on the accelerated path isn't something that needs to plague you. No matter where you are and no matter what you're working on, you can always slow down your work effectually self-moderating. That's the beauty of the plans! They are there as a starting point for you and you get to work through them however you like!

One note: If you buy accelerated third it's going to have Latina Christiana scheduled in. MP can provide you with the individual Prima Latina lesson plans. I simply white out the printed Latin lessons and write in from the other level's plan. It's not beautiful, but it gets the job done!

Hope this helps!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
      DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
      DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
      DD 7th • HLN & Home
      DS 4th • HLN & Home
      Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Thank you for these helpful responses! I will go ahead with the accelerated track. What do you suggest I do with the Latin as we progress? Since we will be starting with Latina Prima, will we always be one behind on the accelerated track? Would this even matter?

Comment

We did exactly what you are planning--my oldest did Prima in third grade and remains one year "behind the accelerated track." This is no big deal. Prima is a great place to start and builds confidence. For my son I simply white out what's there and write in the other course's plans. It's annoying, but only for me.
          As for the "feeling behind" aspect, I just remind myself that every year of Latin (even baby-steps, beginning Latin) under the belt is one more than most adults have. Haha!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
          DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
          DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
          DD 7th • HLN & Home
          DS 4th • HLN & Home
          Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
          Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

"...every year of Latin (even baby-steps, beginning Latin) under the belt is one more than most adults have".

How right you are!! I am so excited to have discovered this forum and Memoria Press! I am really looking forward to our 3rd grade year. I just hope my daughter will be as excited as I am!

Thanks a bunch!

Lorna

Comment

Enthusiasm is contagious....

Here's hoping it "catches."

AMDG,
              Sarah
              2020-2021
              16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
              DS, 17
              DD, 15