Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding in the extras? What would you do with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding in the extras? What would you do with this?

I find sometimes my biggest problem as a homeschool is my wonderful resources that I've managed to accumulate. They sit there new and shiny, unused, beckoning, begging, "Use me! Use me!" And then I sit and wonder, think and plan, and try and figure out how I can do that one extra thing. I almost feel... not stressed, but...perhaps like I'm not doing enough when I don't use them. Am I the only one that feels like this sometimes?

So how do you add in some of your extras at times? Do you ever skip buying the "boughten enrichment" guides and just use your own items? I sit looking at my shelves realizing, I have more than enough!

For me specifically, the ones in my face at the moment are:

-Top Secret Adventures puzzle kits - each month we receive a new puzzle kit on a different country around the world. Great, fun way to teach world geography.
    -Thornton Burgess Bird Book with this great book: http://www.amazon.com/Listen-Birds-Introduction-Classical-Music/dp/2923163893/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430266179&sr=8-1&keywords=listen+to+the+birds
    - This great art book: http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Great-Artists-Hands--Children/dp/0935607099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430266500&sr=8-1&keywords=exploring+great+artists

But then we have hundreds of books on nature and animals (including the Handbook), other great music books, our recorders and instruments, wonderful books on space, local history, oodles of strong, classic children's literature, poetry etc...
    Last edited by mshanson3121; 04-28-2015, 07:17 PM.

I tend to add in these type of fun things outside of school time and just call it fun. Yeah, I know...they are learning, but don't tell the kids.

Melisa
    Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 11 years

dd - 11th grade using MP
    ds - 9th grade using MP and Kolbe Academy

Comment

I'm new to using MP as a core, but I have found over the years that if it was written in a planner it gets done. If I write our read-alouds done by chapter in planner they get done. If I don't, it never happens.
      Christina

Comment

Originally posted by MelisaBurke View Post
        I tend to add in these type of fun things outside of school time and just call it fun. Yeah, I know...they are learning, but don't tell the kids.

Melisa
        Same here! We have tons of wonderful resources around, too, and with very limited screen time (as in none on weekdays), the kids naturally pick up these things and enjoy using them.

Comment

One more thought that I'll add is what we do during summer. We do take a summer break of about six weeks and a winter break of six weeks. During these times, I'll pull out extras that we don't have time for during the school year. For instance, we subscribe to Nature Friends magazine. This is a great nature magazine for kids with articles, art projects, etc. We never have time for these during the school year, but I'll pull them out and we will read them during our summer break. Also, we limit screen time as well, which means that they have to find something else to do during their free time.

Melisa
          Melisa

dd - 11th grade using MP

Comment

We have piano lessons midday on Wednesday. We start our work early on those days because when we get back, it is a late lunch, baby needs a nap, the younger ones want to play after running errands.....so we generally pull something from the "extra" pile, that everyone can enjoy. Sometimes I will do this on a day that gets derailed by dentist appointments or just the unexpected. I've tried resisting the urge to accumulate the "extra," but sometimes it happens!

Michelle
            Michelle

2017-2018
            9th grade MPOA diploma program
            7th grade MP materials (mostly 7A/8 track, a mix because we have grouped subjects with sibs in the past)
            4th grade MP core (thinking about grading up to 4A this summer)
            2nd grade MP core
            3 year old who reminds us to play and snuggle
            Veritas et Fides

Comment

I do as Melissa and Michelle have added. We too, love Nature Friend!!

In addition to lovely accumulated books and projects, we also incorporate activities/projects that fit into our liturgically living out of our faith. Could be a small one-n-done project for the day--Saint feast day activity, making guardian angel pics, or making sacrifice beads--or something with more meat--like following a seasonal adventure w daily activities (like during Lent or Advent). I scale these and expectations for product and participation for each child.

I understand your feelings, but I have found as my children age I appreciate the fact that these types of resources are in the home and available for them to use when their interest matches up. I support them exploring them on their own in their own free time. I think it's important to let them lead their own self directed interests in their free time. Boredom and Free Time allow the child to discover what truly interests them and not just be forced to "do" what we think is best. The kids read these things on their own or to each other. They look through old Childcraft kid idea book encyclopedias from the 50s-70s which gives them all kinds of ideas...not all we can do or do I have time for, but they somehow find a way to accomplish the general idea on their own. I try to give them as much independence from me as I can, as I think its better for them to be responsible for their own amusement than ME---nobody plans enjoyment activities for me as an adult!! I want resourceful kiddos who can think for themselves!

In our house, we don't do computers or electronic games for kids and tv is extremely limited. So I see children making paper airplanes, learning string games, card tricks, or new card games, chess, board games, costumes, a lot of drawing, piano playing, teaching selves to knit and crochet, learning to sew by hand and then learning on the machine. We cook and bake often--and when outside they figure out how to build/create stuff with what they find (small forts, see-saws, little wood working projects like making little, simple wooden guns or knives so they can play Daniel Boone and Indians). Oh--and let's not forget chore time which my children have quite a bit every day to keep them occupied and help them to be a real boon to the family.

I have tried before to try to say Thursday is baking/cooking day, one day will be art day, one will be handwork day....I succeed and fail at this. SO, as much as I would love to say I "plan" all this, I don't. As someone else put it, I let this be the business of life and as they age I see the rewards in the children as they continue to blossom and grow!

Elizabeth
              Elizabeth
              Currently using 6A (DS 11), 4A (DD 9), 2 (DS 7), and Jr.K (DS almost 5)

Comment

We also tend to have those sorts of things out for kids to pick up in their free time. Before we used MP, I would struggle with feelings of guilt over the extras that I had accumulated and that we never seemed to get time to do. Now, I have full confidence that our school time is rich and productive, and that when our planners say we are done for the day, we are done for the day. But having great materials around for them to choose to do in their free time is a great use of those resources.

Another idea is that we have a very long way to go to visit family, so grabbing things like art books, atlases, picture encyclopedias and the like to put into the van bags helps pass the time well. We just got back from such a trip, and we had taken a lot of things that they had forgotten we even had!

AMDG,
                Sarah
                2020-2021
                16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                DS, 17
                DD, 15
                DD, 13
                DD, 11
                DD, 9
                DD, 7
                +DS+
                DS, 2

Comment

Kindred Spirit

Originally posted by Edawson View Post
                  I do as Melissa and Michelle have added. We too, love Nature Friend!!

In addition to lovely accumulated books and projects, we also incorporate activities/projects that fit into our liturgically living out of our faith. Could be a small one-n-done project for the day--Saint feast day activity, making guardian angel pics, or making sacrifice beads--or something with more meat--like following a seasonal adventure w daily activities (like during Lent or Advent). I scale these and expectations for product and participation for each child.

I understand your feelings, but I have found as my children age I appreciate the fact that these types of resources are in the home and available for them to use when their interest matches up. I support them exploring them on their own in their own free time. I think it's important to let them lead their own self directed interests in their free time. Boredom and Free Time allow the child to discover what truly interests them and not just be forced to "do" what we think is best. The kids read these things on their own or to each other. They look through old Childcraft kid idea book encyclopedias from the 50s-70s which gives them all kinds of ideas...not all we can do or do I have time for, but they somehow find a way to accomplish the general idea on their own. I try to give them as much independence from me as I can, as I think its better for them to be responsible for their own amusement than ME---nobody plans enjoyment activities for me as an adult!! I want resourceful kiddos who can think for themselves!

In our house, we don't do computers or electronic games for kids and tv is extremely limited. So I see children making paper airplanes, learning string games, card tricks, or new card games, chess, board games, costumes, a lot of drawing, piano playing, teaching selves to knit and crochet, learning to sew by hand and then learning on the machine. We cook and bake often--and when outside they figure out how to build/create stuff with what they find (small forts, see-saws, little wood working projects like making little, simple wooden guns or knives so they can play Daniel Boone and Indians). Oh--and let's not forget chore time which my children have quite a bit every day to keep them occupied and help them to be a real boon to the family.

I have tried before to try to say Thursday is baking/cooking day, one day will be art day, one will be handwork day....I succeed and fail at this. SO, as much as I would love to say I "plan" all this, I don't. As someone else put it, I let this be the business of life and as they age I see the rewards in the children as they continue to blossom and grow!

Elizabeth
                  Elizabeth,

That was so beautifully said. I wish you lived closer. As Anne of Green Gables would say,"We are kindred spirits."

Blessings,

Melisa
                  Melisa

dd - 11th grade using MP

Comment

Rainy Day Fund

You've already received so much good counsel here! I'll add that I keep some of these things lying around for myself because they are beautiful and I like seeing them on the shelves, even if we don't use them often. Anna Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study falls into this category! Other things I like having, but know I can sell if I'm in a pinch to buy the next years's haul from MP or if there's something else I need cash for. Many of these extras (books, specifically) I view as my homeschool savings account.
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
                    12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
                    10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
                    7th • HLN & Home
                    4th • HLN & Home
                    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Favorites?

You've all made me so curious!! What are your "extras" favorites? Some got mentioned, but can you share your shortlist?

Also when did your children really start to show specific interests? My first grader is still in the loves everything phase.

How have you made the most of MP enrichment? Put art cards in a photo album? Done special crafts? Bought additional resources to compliment a lesson?

I guess that's three questions! : )

Comment

Originally posted by MelisaBurke View Post
                        One more thought that I'll add is what we do during summer. We do take a summer break of about six weeks and a winter break of six weeks. During these times, I'll pull out extras that we don't have time for during the school year. For instance, we subscribe to Nature Friends magazine. This is a great nature magazine for kids with articles, art projects, etc. We never have time for these during the school year, but I'll pull them out and we will read them during our summer break. Also, we limit screen time as well, which means that they have to find something else to do during their free time.

Melisa
                        You know that's a great idea! I could do our "kits" over the summer for fun. I also agree with you on your other comment - if it's not in the guide it doesn't get done. I'm bad at that.

Comment

Nature Friend Magazine or Clubhouse Jr

I looked up Nature Friend Magazine which seems really nice. The only thing I was considering was the amount of text. Would Clubhouse Jr be a better fit for younger elementary? Or is Nature Friend Magazine that much better even with the length of the articles for a younger reader?

Thanks!

Comment

I read Nature Friend Magazine with my second and fourth grader. We have been subscribing to it for a couple of years now. I'm not familiar with the other magazine that you mentioned so I can't compare them.

Melisa
                            Melisa

dd - 11th grade using MP

Comment

Working...
                            X