iPad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPad?

I finally got an iPad :-D I'm feeling modern...I'm feeling special...I'm feeling like I need someone to tell me what to do with it So, what do I do with it? I was brilliant enough to get it hooked up to my Apple ID (I have iCloud, but have never used it and don't really know what to do with it) and my Gmail account, but I'm in need of some guidance. I'm especially interested in how you use it in your homeschool, but would love any tips/advice you all can give!

Does anyone use OneNote on a PC and sync it with OneNote on an iPad (I think there is an app?)? I use OneNote on my PC desktop and, if possible, would like to access it on my iPad.

Please educate me :-)
    Last edited by Cheryl in CA; 04-11-2015, 06:18 PM.
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
    ds 25, graduated
    dd 11th Grade
    dd 8th Grade
    ds 6th Grade

Cheryl,
    (I'm going to pick up where we left off so this will be in one thread)

I hope someone else will have good ideas too. I'm going to ramble on a subject that I have never seen covered here, "Technology in my classical homeschool."
    We use almost all MP materials (we use a different math and spelling).

I use my iPad for a lot of things.

1. music (I own quite a lot of classical music, but I use spotify if I am looking for something specific that I don't own). We have a little Bose wireless speaker that we keep on the table and we listen to music, latin recitation, audiobooks when I'm putting the baby down, etc. My kids use spotify during free time, with classical music only.

2. Evernote - this is really great for clipping research and saving things that might slip away on Pinterest. I did try the paid version but I think am fine with the free one.

3. (NEW) Onenote. After downloading Onenote to my Mac and my iPad just this week, I was able to reduce the size of my giant Homeschool planning binder significantly, and I was able to put most of our recitation (for multiple grades/children/subjects) at my fingertips. I mapped all of my questions as I looked at the MP catalog! I'm still learning and working things out. I've tried several homeschool planners over the years and this is such a great solution for me. I elected to save things to the skydrive (or whatever MS calls its cloud), and I love the automatic syncing to my ipad. My kids have PC laptops and they are able to sync their account to their iPads also. I set them up with their own accounts so they can start learning the program.

4. Apps. There are so many great educational apps. I'm afraid to talk too much about that here! Just kidding, but I remember an article in Classical Teacher cautioning against too much technology in the classroom. We do our school work "old school," but we use and enjoy many apps and websites on our educational journey. We supplement our bird and nature study with online field guides. So many great things out there, that's why I wish this community could carve out a little space for sharing ideas.

Such a long post, but I hope that helps. I would love to see a list started of "favorite apps/websites in your classical homeschool."
    Michelle
    Michelle

2017-2018
    9th grade MPOA diploma program
    7th grade MP materials (mostly 7A/8 track, a mix because we have grouped subjects with sibs in the past)
    4th grade MP core (thinking about grading up to 4A this summer)
    2nd grade MP core
    3 year old who reminds us to play and snuggle
    Veritas et Fides

Comment

Thank you so much Michelle! I very much appreciate your "rambling," so ramble away :-)

I'm getting the hang of the basics and will look for the OneNote app soon. I'm pretty sure it will be different from the PC version, but I will probably just be using it to view schedules while I continue to do editing/etc on my computer.

I'm not sure yet if I want Spotify yet, but will log that info away for later.

Thank again!
      Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
      ds 25, graduated
      dd 11th Grade
      dd 8th Grade
      ds 6th Grade

Comment

Cheryl,
        I downloaded the History Channel app, and I use that to show my son short clips (usually 1-2 min.) AFTER he has done the assigned reading in the Famous Men book. I simply search "clips". There is not always a hit with the topic, though. Also, for geography, I usually search google images and we take a quick glance at something from his study that week. Of course, this is not something iPad specific!
        I keep his grades on an app I purchased. It is Homeschool Helper. Along with entering grades on quizzes and tests, I keep a list of the books he has read on there. He likes to glance at all of this to see where he stands.

Comment

Thank you! I will definitely look up the History Channel app. I had no idea that channels had apps! It is one of the only channels I missed after we stopped our cable 4 years ago.
          Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
          ds 25, graduated
          dd 11th Grade
          dd 8th Grade
          ds 6th Grade

Comment

Working...
          X