Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I start Kindergarten phonics now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I start Kindergarten phonics now?

This year my son, who will be five in July, went through Ready,set, go for the code books A,B and C. He knows all his letter sounds and can read (slowly and with some help) the first set of Bob books. Next week we will finish our last Get Set for the Code book. I have just received the full Memoria Press Kindergarten package and wasn't planning on starting until August, but I would really hate for him to go that long without phonics and practicing reading. Do you think it would be a problem to only start the phonics portion of the curriculum now and wait until August to start the rest? I also noticed that they have a fourteen week summer program, so I figured if we finished early next year, we could continue with that.
    Abel (9) MP 4/ Lydia 7.5) MP A3/ James (6) First Start Reading and Rod and Staff 1/ Micah (4)/ Nathanael (2)/ Silas Born 7/13/2019

Alexandra,
    I personally love having all my work for my K'er in one spot, and she thoroughly enjoys her feeling of accomplishment to check off all her boxes for a day. If you pull out one component to start early, now you do not have the ease of it all being cohesive. That is the basic answer.

Even more than sheer convenience, my other reason for suggesting to keep it together is that phonics is the primary language arts curriculum for K, and is very well planned for the entire year. If you try to do it early, you may as well just start the whole curriculum early. But I would not suggest that either...

I have taught five children through K now, using various approaches, most of them on the early side, age-speaking. This most recent one was my best experience yet. Keep in mind, I had taught her to read in her preschool year, so by the beginning of K she had had over a year of reading under her belt. Even with that, going through the full K program at her appropriate age, no changes, has been incredibly rewarding for her. Her reading ability allowed her to be reviewing how to blend, and reviewing sounds she would skip over, and allowed her handwriting to catch up to her reading. I cannot stress enough how important review is at this age. To prove my point, today she was trying to write her sister's name, and needed to know how to spell it. So I pronounced the name very slowly....her response: "Oh, I get it! I can use my sounds to figure it out!" And she did...."Samantha"....the whole thing, spelled correctly.

So, in place of true curriculum, keep on doing what you are doing...putting things in front of them to keep the reading practice going, but do not make it work oriented. Let them just enjoy the fact that they can read....it is a huge accomplishment!

As a last note, I do have a bunch of readers from previous kids....so even with her doing the full K core, she does have readers she works through to keep advancing at her level....but it is totally unrelated to school time. She just enjoys reading them!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Sarah,

Thank you so much for response. It wasn't what I wanted to hear; not because I think your wrong, but because I am so excited about the curriculum! Thank you for sharing your experience with me and since this is my first I have no experience to go off of.
      -Alexandra
      Abel (9) MP 4/ Lydia 7.5) MP A3/ James (6) First Start Reading and Rod and Staff 1/ Micah (4)/ Nathanael (2)/ Silas Born 7/13/2019

Comment

Alexandra,
        Sure thing! I know it can be so hard....I received the same advice from my sister (a teacher with a masters in early elementary ed!) when my oldest was little. It has only taken me five children to finally "get it!" Hopefully I can save you some headaches!

And don't get me wrong...I am totally in favor of early reading. I think having young readers is awesome, fun, wonderful for them, etc. But there is something to be said for letting everything else gradually catch up. Even maturity plays a huge role down the line. So keep up the great work, and fall will be here before you know it!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

I agree. My daughter is in the same place as your son. I would recommend having him work through the alphabet books and continue reading Bob books or whatever readers you have. My daughter loves her alphabet books.
          DS 8th grade
          DD 6th grade
          DD 4th grade
          DS 2nd grade
          *Starting HLS Anderson Cottage School

Comment

Working...
          X