Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I going to be able to do this?

Hi,

I've used several of MPs materials (primarily Latin) in the past, and now I'm considering using full Cores for the first time next year: Cores 7, 5, 3, and two in K. I'm getting nervous thinking about keeping up with all of that. I'm choosing to use the cores because of the great quality of the materials and to simplify lesson planning.

Has anyone else run 4 cores at a time? How independent can the 5th and 7th graders be?

Thanks!
    AngelaA
    Eight kids ages 16 - infant, +Rosamaria+
    Cores for 2016/17 - some 10M, most of 8M, 6M, 4A

"Our hearts are restless until they rest in Him."

Hi there Angela! I want to completely encourage you that you can definitely do this! In fact, I think you will find that your homeschool life will actually be better because of the cores! For me, I would spend a lot of excess energy planning, tweaking, adding, and stressing (!) that is removed now with following the Core Curriculum path. Everyone has their planner, we open it each day and automatically know what to do each day.

The first few weeks will be your hardest, as everyone gets used to the expectations in each thing you are doing. You could foreseeably have five or six people standing around you, looking expectantly at you, wanting to ask a question or needing help! To minimize this, I always suggest starting school with your oldest, most independent children first. Do a week with them, getting them used to it. Then the next week, add in your middle kids, with the little ones starting last. The gradual transition in will mean that by the time you are devoting focused, hands-on time to your K'ers, your oldest kids are on their third week and are getting the hang of everything. MP has such great routines, that children learn what to expect and end up becoming very independent, especially in a big family.

Keep asking questions, too! We all share great ideas and tips here, that are helpful regardless of the number of cores you are doing.

Just so you know....this coming year will be our third year doing full cores, and I will have children in 9th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 1st, and JrK. (Plus an almost 2 year old running around...)

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

It's chaotic, but we get it done.

Currently, we have twin boys in the K core, and their older sister in the 2nd/3rd grade core. Next year, we'll be doing 3/4th core, 1st grade w the boys and then Preschool core w the soon to be 3 year old.
      Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
      DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
      DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
      DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
      DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
      DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Thank you! It helps to hear from others who have done this. I also have a high schooler who will be using another program and a toddler in the mix, so I know it will help for me not to have to think about what we need to do next, but rather to just follow the lesson plans. That is a good idea to stagger their start dates while I ease them into our new school days.

I look forward to learning from all of you who have BTDT!
        Thanks again!
        AngelaA

Comment

Sounds like we have a similar span! I will share another tip I tried this year that I have really liked, and I need to devote some scheduling thought to how to do it with my older kids.

For my three middle kids I started out the year where they each had a half hour with me at the very start of our day called, "Drill Time." I took all their subjects that have any sort of memorization involved and made a list of them (Recitation, Latin, Catechism, Math, Spelling, Phonics, Poetry/Art, etc) and we would breeze through all the drills to get them going for the day. We would drill, then preview the day's work, then do the next....drill, preview; drill, preview; etc. So after the half hour, they would have a stack of subjects they were ready to tackle independently for the next hour/90 minutes. Meanwhile, I was doing drill time with the next person.

While they waited for drill time, they started handwriting, or math pages. Or they played with the baby! When I would wrap up with each in the afternoon, I go over the work they did independently, and do the rest, like Literature, histories, geography or enrichment.

I had to watch my time carefully, but it worked great! We slacked off from it midyear right before we hit sick season, but now we are going to get back to it because our days were not as smooth as they were when we started that way.

Now my challenge is to see if I can figure out a similar system for my older ones, adjusting for what they need. But hopefully it might spark some scheduling ideas for your crew, too!
          AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

thank you for the ideas. I'll probably try to come up with a similar schedule once I get my materials and have a chance to look at them.

Comment

Sarah,

I love that tip about having a 30 minute drill time with each student to begin the day. That's so time efficient, and means that all the flashcards and memory work actually get done each day. Thanks for sharing! Off to rework our schedule...

Comment

thanks! Was inspired with it last year....then turns out, Jesuits had something like that all along...called "preelection", but I think they did just one class at a time, like Highlands does it. For homeschool, it has worked really really well to do it all together.

Would love older kids ideas though....that is my desire to plan for next year!
                AMDG,
                Sarah
                2020-2021
                DS, 17
                DD, 15
                DD, 13
                DD, 11
                DD, 9
                DD, 7
                +DS+
                DS, 2

Comment

Am I going to be able to do this?

The ideas sound good. One question about scheduling. When you meet with the kids to preview memory work and work for the day, how much time do you spend later in the day when you do Lit or other things that need to be done together. When do you use read alouds, do you combine for that? I love MP but the scheduling get me down. I am doing 1,3,4, and working with two special needs kids. Thanks, Susan

Comment

Sounds like you would like an example day. So, for instance, in your situation, if you start your day with everyone at the breakfast table together, while they are eating, I would accomplish a read aloud. For us, it is Saint of the Day. As soon as they are finishing, have the older kids help with quick clean up, then jump right into a morning devotion. I personally would send the little ones off to play for a bit while you did drill time with the third and fourth graders (the one who has to wait could start math). By the time the hour is up, those two are off with enough work to do until lunchtime.

So then I would do a few things (laundry, drinks, checking on the idea for dinner, etc for no more than five minutes. While I was doing that I would be telling my little ones, "pick up...time for school!" That sort of thing. So then I would gather what I needed to have the first grader and the little ones with me. This group I would round robin....tell, show, have them do; tell, show, have them do....back and forth. This I would keep up until we were pretty much done, which will probably be until lunchtime.

During lunch, I would get to another read aloud. We rotate between stories, spiritual reading, and Story of the World. But the Read Alouds are perfect for while everyone is at the table. (I usually eat while I am cleaning up from lunch, or have my hoover-ish son who is always done first take over the reading.

After lunch, we have quiet time. I put little ones down for nap, and everyone heads upstairs to work in the bedrooms. Somehow, it keeps the whole house quieter that way. This is when I get any youngest stuff done first, then spend focused time on literature and history subjects, usually from younger to older. Whenever someone is cleared and done, they have to go rest/be quiet until quiet time has been lifted (baby wakes up). By the time nap is over, you guys would be done. I would ideally only have my oldest two left to finish upstairs while everyone else descends downstairs to play.

That is how we usually end up doing it. With your kids ages, I would think you would be done with little kids before lunch, and spend an hour to an hour and a half with your older two after lunch.

AMDG,
                    Sarah
                    2020-2021
                    DS, 17
                    DD, 15
                    DD, 13
                    DD, 11
                    DD, 9
                    DD, 7
                    +DS+