Recitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recitation

I was looking at some of the samples of the Core Curriculum and was noticing that in the lower grades there is a subject called "Recitation," but it seems like it disappears around 3rd Grade. Is recitation covered in other subjects from that point instead of its own subject?
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
    ds 25, graduated
    dd 11th Grade
    dd 8th Grade
    ds 6th Grade

We do have a recitation for 3rd and 4th grades, and we do sell the recitations as individual lesson plans because we have had so many requests for them, but I don't know that you would consider them a subject in the same way that math or literature or Latin. The recitations are a series of drill questions that should take you 10 mins. or less each morning. They are intended to show students how much they know to get the day started out with attention and confidence. I am going to add a recitation for 5th-6th grades, but it hasn't happened yet! Another promise not fulfilled yet ...

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      We do have a recitation for 3rd and 4th grades, and we do sell the recitations as individual lesson plans because we have had so many requests for them, but I don't know that you would consider them a subject in the same way that math or literature or Latin. The recitations are a series of drill questions that should take you 10 mins. or less each morning. They are intended to show students how much they know to get the day started out with attention and confidence. I am going to add a recitation for 5th-6th grades, but it hasn't happened yet! Another promise not fulfilled yet ...

Tanya
      I see, is it in the separate lesson plans section? I was looking for that area but couldn't find it, and wasn't sure that was where I needed to look anyway. I usually find it through one of the subjects when I'm looking at something else (literature maybe?), but can't seem to find it when I'm just looking for it, LOL. We already to Scripture and catechism memorization and will probably be adding poetry, so we'll probably have that covered on our own. Thank you!
      Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
      ds 25, graduated
      dd 11th Grade
      dd 8th Grade
      ds 6th Grade

Comment

Cheryl,

Of course it's up to you whether you include Recitation or not, but I just wanted to chime in because I especially appreciate this unique subject. It is not poetry and scripture (which we also do heavily here), but actually includes all kinds of information from the other subject kids are studying. Not sure what grade you're looking at, but I have a 2nd and 4th grader. For the 4th grader, the questions review gods and goddesses from Greek myths, Christian studies, current questions that line up with each week of Famous Men of Rome, countries and capitals that line up with our Geography I studies, and probably more that I'm not thinking of.

For 2nd grade, a lot of it consists of important facts that young kids (and older) should know and be able to spit off with instant recall. Think when Columbus discovered America, the names of the 7 continents, how many quarts are in a gallon, the names of the planets in order, and TONS more.

I think doing our recitations daily has helped my kids on the tests and keeps what they're learning fresh, turning it into long term memory.

Comment

I hope it's okay to ask a question. Do you only do the current week's recitation questions or do you do all the previous weeks as well? Or do you rotate review of previous weeks? Or ...
          Brit - Catholic homeschooling mom to 5 - 3 big boys ('01, '03, and '06), daughter ('10 - Down syndrome), and one more boy ('15 - always wound up, and non-stop movement and noise)

Comment

Originally posted by Angela View Post
            Cheryl,

Of course it's up to you whether you include Recitation or not, but I just wanted to chime in because I especially appreciate this unique subject. It is not poetry and scripture (which we also do heavily here), but actually includes all kinds of information from the other subject kids are studying. Not sure what grade you're looking at, but I have a 2nd and 4th grader. For the 4th grader, the questions review gods and goddesses from Greek myths, Christian studies, current questions that line up with each week of Famous Men of Rome, countries and capitals that line up with our Geography I studies, and probably more that I'm not thinking of.

For 2nd grade, a lot of it consists of important facts that young kids (and older) should know and be able to spit off with instant recall. Think when Columbus discovered America, the names of the 7 continents, how many quarts are in a gallon, the names of the planets in order, and TONS more.

I think doing our recitations daily has helped my kids on the tests and keeps what they're learning fresh, turning it into long term memory.
            Thank you, your description helps me to better understand recitation! The only Cores I own are the Simply Classical B & C. My younger kids are in K, 2, and 5 (my older kids graduated last year and the year before - we have a big gap). Since I won't be using the Cores for them (I'll be using the Read-Alouds, and Lit & Science Enrichment with the K & 2nd, and Literature, Latin, Poetry, and Greek Myths with the 5th), I don't know that the Recitation plans would be usable as is (perhaps covering things they aren't covering). I'm thinking I could make my own recitation schedule, drawing from their various subjects. Maybe I'll buy the 2nd Grade Recitation lesson plans to give me an even better idea what is covered and how it's done.

ETA, that I saw how cheap the Recitation schedules are, so I'll probably buy some of them to tweak. I'll still have to do my own for my current 5th grader as there won't be any for her grade, unless lessons for 5th and 6th are added soon.
            Last edited by Cheryl in CA; 04-09-2015, 08:18 PM.
            Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
            ds 25, graduated
            dd 11th Grade
            dd 8th Grade
            ds 6th Grade

Comment

Recitation is intended to build cumulatively from week to week. Looking at the list at the beginning of the year makes it seem like it would take a lot of time to recite them all. But when they are practiced and learned thoroughly, it really is possible to whip through them at a pretty fast clip and get them all in pretry close to that ten minute mark that Tanya mentioned.

That being said, we do not review every single question every single time we do Recitation. Generally the main Recitation is scheduled in the LP's for M, W, and F; T and TH get poetry and arts recitations. For us, this works really well. I usually seek to do the whole list in one sitting on one of those days, especially toward the second half of the year when they *really* know the early questions. I pick a day we seem to have the most time. If we get to Friday and have not done the whole list, then we do it Friday. The other two times I will begin in the middle and move through to the end from there.

It works for us....we love Recitations around here!
              AMDG,
              Sarah
              2020-2021
              16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
              DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
              DS, 17
              DD, 15
              DD, 13
              DD, 11
              DD, 9
              DD, 7
              +DS+
              DS, 2

Comment

Cheryl,

I bought the recitations for my kids last year before we did the full grade package this year. For that price, its worth it even if you do some tweaking here and there!

My Little Wonders,

We definitely don't do every single question every single day! I do all the current week's questions each day that week, and review previous ones here and there. I focus mostly on reviewing the questions related to their current subjects, which for my daughter is CSII, Geography I and FMR. We only review the ones from previous years now and then, just to make sure she still remembers them.

Comment

Originally posted by Angela View Post
                  Cheryl,

I bought the recitations for my kids last year before we did the full grade package this year. For that price, its worth it even if you do some tweaking here and there!

My Little Wonders,

We definitely don't do every single question every single day! I do all the current week's questions each day that week, and review previous ones here and there. I focus mostly on reviewing the questions related to their current subjects, which for my daughter is CSII, Geography I and FMR. We only review the ones from previous years now and then, just to make sure she still remembers them.
                  Thank you, I will probably get them this weekend so I can start looking through them :-) My youngest is doing the Recitation in Simply Classical, but my other two aren't.
                  Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
                  ds 25, graduated
                  dd 11th Grade
                  dd 8th Grade
                  ds 6th Grade

Comment

Cheryl -
                    Since you mentioned Onenote to me earlier this week, I thought I'd share that I just set myself up and love it - especially LOVE that you can download the PDF of recitation from MP and copy it into a note. I have my recitation at my fingertips for my younger ones and I love it. The K-2 recitation covers a lot of "stuff" that I sometimes forget I haven't taught my younger children.
                    Michelle
                    Michelle

2017-2018
                    9th grade MPOA diploma program
                    7th grade MP materials (mostly 7A/8 track, a mix because we have grouped subjects with sibs in the past)
                    4th grade MP core (thinking about grading up to 4A this summer)
                    2nd grade MP core
                    3 year old who reminds us to play and snuggle
                    Veritas et Fides

Comment

Originally posted by mamabearjd View Post
                      Cheryl -
                      Since you mentioned Onenote to me earlier this week, I thought I'd share that I just set myself up and love it - especially LOVE that you can download the PDF of recitation from MP and copy it into a note. I have my recitation at my fingertips for my younger ones and I love it. The K-2 recitation covers a lot of "stuff" that I sometimes forget I haven't taught my younger children.
                      Michelle
                      That is wonderful Michelle! Are you using it on a laptop or iPad? I often copy pdf's into OneNote, but have only used it on a PC. I just bought an iPad last night and am not trying to figure out what I can do with it, LOL. I'll have to start another thread :-)
                      Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
                      ds 25, graduated
                      dd 11th Grade
                      dd 8th Grade
                      ds 6th Grade

Comment

Cheryl,
                        I am setting it up on my Macbook Air (laptop) because it is easier to input information that way, but I'm using it on the iPad for viewing and reference.
                        My children have PC laptops and I prefer the format on the Mac version, but I'm learning both so I can help them.

***I would love for Memoria Press to add a "tech" section for those of us who want to discuss computer planning or apps we use. I don't visit the Well Trained Mind forum because we primarily use MP materials and the community here is so helpful!***

Michelle
                        Michelle

2017-2018
                        9th grade MPOA diploma program
                        7th grade MP materials (mostly 7A/8 track, a mix because we have grouped subjects with sibs in the past)
                        4th grade MP core (thinking about grading up to 4A this summer)
                        2nd grade MP core
                        3 year old who reminds us to play and snuggle
                        Veritas et Fides

Comment

Originally posted by mamabearjd View Post
                          Cheryl,
                          I am setting it up on my Macbook Air (laptop) because it is easier to input information that way, but I'm using it on the iPad for viewing and reference.
                          My children have PC laptops and I prefer the format on the Mac version, but I'm learning both so I can help them.

***I would love for Memoria Press to add a "tech" section for those of us who want to discuss computer planning or apps we use. I don't visit the Well Trained Mind forum because we primarily use MP materials and the community here is so helpful!***

Michelle
                          Do you download a OneNote app for the iPad and then sync them? I'm assuming that is in the iStore? So, you can sync pc and mac versions? That is good, because I don't have a mac. I've not synced mine, so I'd have to move the files (I put them in My Documents instead of SkyDrive (that is where it wanted to put them, and I'm hoping where one would put them if they wanted to sync them with an iPad).

Yes, it would be wonderful if MP added a "tech" section! Maybe if we ask nicely, they would. I go to the WTM forum sometimes, but not that frequently (usually when I need an answer to something quickly, or am looking at something uncommon). I haven't been on this forum long, but it's so much calmer! They can have a lot of drama on WTM :P
                          Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
                          ds 25, graduated
                          dd 11th Grade
                          dd 8th Grade
                          ds 6th Grade

Comment

Your request has been heard! You can access the "Technology" board here: http://forum.memoriapress.com/forumdisplay.php?17-Technology

Have a great day,
                            Paul
                            Paul Schaeffer
                            --
                            Academy Director
                            Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Thank you so much!!!
                              Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
                              ds 25, graduated
                              dd 11th Grade