English Grammar Recitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Grammar Recitation

Does one start this series with Year One regardless of age?

Also, does it matter if the Year of Grammar Recitation doesn't match with the level of Latin it was written to accompany?
    Last edited by Cheryl in CA; 04-09-2015, 11:02 AM.
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
    ds 25, graduated
    dd 11th Grade
    dd 8th Grade
    ds 6th Grade

You are correct on both counts! The program is cumulative and everyone starts with EGR I. A possible exception to that is an older student who's already done plenty of English Grammar work (possibly with something like Rod and Staff English). The ideal sequence is that you begin EGR I with Latina Christiana, but it can work just fine in other arrangements. My son isn't synchronized and is doing EGR III with First Form this year and it's just fine. The only downside is you're missing the synergy and review that comes from working with the same grammatical concepts, but, of course, he doesn't even know that. Ha!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
    10th • HLN, Latin online
    7th • HLN & Home
    4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
      You are correct on both counts! The program is cumulative and everyone starts with EGR I. A possible exception to that is an older student who's already done plenty of English Grammar work (possibly with something like Rod and Staff English). The ideal sequence is that you begin EGR I with Latina Christiana, but it can work just fine in other arrangements. My son isn't synchronized and is doing EGR III with First Form this year and it's just fine. The only downside is you're missing the synergy and review that comes from working with the same grammatical concepts, but, of course, he doesn't even know that. Ha!
      Thank you for your reply! Well, I'm considering it for my daughter is in 5th grade and will be 12 this summer. She has done both the Island and Town levels of Michael Clay Thompson's Language Arts curriculum and is very good at it (the grammar sentence parsing is easy for her). I was planning on starting her in First Form Latin with her very soon, starting with it instead of Latina Christiana. She is very good at memorization. Should I maybe start her with EGR I at an accelerated rate (moving forward as she is able to memorize) and hold off on First Form Latin until she is through EGR I?

ETA, maybe another option would be to have her memorize the questions/answers that are covered in EGR I using the Grammar Recitation book instead of having her do the EGR I workbook, and then having her start EGR II and FSL I together?
      Last edited by Cheryl in CA; 04-09-2015, 02:39 PM.
      Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
      ds 25, graduated
      dd 11th Grade
      dd 8th Grade
      ds 6th Grade

Comment

Cheryl,

It really doesn't matter which EGR program you are in when you are doing FFL. They are only loosely tied together. Many people are doing EGR I with FFL. I wouldn't put off your Latin for English grammar since the grammar is so much better taught through Latin.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
          Cheryl,

It really doesn't matter which EGR program you are in when you are doing FFL. They are only loosely tied together. Many people are doing EGR I with FFL. I wouldn't put off your Latin for English grammar since the grammar is so much better taught through Latin.

Tanya
          Thanks Tanya :-) Are there any placement tests or anything that would determine whether my daughter even needs EGR? Looking through the TOC for Grammar Recitation, it doesn't look like she would come upon anything she doesn't already know until "Book 5," and, as far as I can tell, the series only goes up to "Book 3" at present.
          Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
          ds 25, graduated
          dd 11th Grade
          dd 8th Grade
          ds 6th Grade

Comment

There aren't any placement tests, and maybe your daughter doesn't need this course. But it isn't intended to provide a lot of practice with analytical grammar. Its purpose is to ground students in the rules they need to know in order to master the concepts of grammar. It is a different type of course than your typical grammar course.

Don't feel you need to do EGR with Latin. They don't have to go together. The Latin stands alone.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
              There aren't any placement tests, and maybe your daughter doesn't need this course. But it isn't intended to provide a lot of practice with analytical grammar. Its purpose is to ground students in the rules they need to know in order to master the concepts of grammar. It is a different type of course than your typical grammar course.

Don't feel you need to do EGR with Latin. They don't have to go together. The Latin stands alone.

Tanya
              Thank you Tanya :-) I think I'll get the GR Booklet and take a look at it (to see if there is anything she has not yet mastered), but we probably don't need the workbooks. Based on the GR TOC, is this series still being written?
              Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
              ds 25, graduated
              dd 11th Grade
              dd 8th Grade
              ds 6th Grade

Comment

Hello.

The series is still being written. Cheryl Lowe is anticipating her completion of EGR4 by late summer, and then she will have one more to write!

Tanya

Comment

Gotcha, thanks so much :-)
                  Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
                  ds 25, graduated
                  dd 11th Grade
                  dd 8th Grade
                  ds 6th Grade

Comment

Working...
                  X