Share your Tips and Tricks Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Share your Tips and Tricks Please

The thread with the great tip about spiral binding your workbooks got me thinking- what are some other tips and tricks you have learned along the way? We are finishing our first year of MP with Pre-K and I would love to have some great ideas and tips to file away for future use. Thanks everyone!
    ~Marisa

DS: 8 years old, 3A for 2018/2019

Well, this isn't really a trick since it is so obvious and simple that everyone might be doing it, but I'll mention it anyway. I love how you can now get the downloads of the tests and quizzes. I made a huge binder with tabbed sections in it, one for each subject, and printed out all the tests and quizzes for the whole year. When its time for a quiz, I just give the whole binder to my daughter and she takes the quiz, leaving it in its place when she's finished. I love that I don't have to keep track of lots of loose papers all over the place, and we can easily flip back through to check her scores if I decide to give her grades for the year.
    I guess that might not pertain to you in first grade since there aren't really any quizzes yet, but its a wonderful bonus in the grades after that!

Another thing we have been doing is to create book reports after finishing a book in literature studies. They get creative and decorate them different ways, and I have them write a summary of the book inside. This has been a good opportunity to teach how to structure a book report (including things like author, date, concise summary of plot and main characters, and opinion of the book). They are nice keepsakes, too.
    2018/2019
    Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
    Ds 10: MP 5M
    Ds 5: MP K

Comment

My favorite thing to share about MP is that the curriculum (and the folks!) is worthy of your trust. So much material about homeschooling makes it seem as though if you are not taking advantage of the freedom to put it together yourself, you are not meeting the needs of your super-individualistic child. I knew of this mindset early on, but stubbornly thought there must be someone out there who had it altogether and could provide all of what I wanted in one place. After trying five different full curricula,, and numerous pieces of others, I can honestly say that MP is like no other.

So the best thing I would suggest as you get started on this homeschooling journey, is to trust the path MP sets forth. Many courses did not make sense to me at first, as they are very different approaches from what others provide. This hesitency lead me to be late to the party on several things. But once I gave everything a fair shot, the wisdom of each approach became clear, and has been wonderful.

It can also be hard to see others around you jump from one program to another, sharing some "great new find" with you and resist the urge to tweak and change course. Speaking from experience, it is not worth it. The classical approach of MP takes time, and consistency, but is well worth the lack of experimentation.

Of all the things I could share, that would be #1.
      AMDG,
      Sarah
      2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
      DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 7.5
      DD, 5.5
      +DS+
      DS, 18 months

Comment

A few things we have learned:
        Like Sarah said, trust the process. It has been so much easier this year following the plans as written..both on me and my kids. They know what to expect, they understand the rythem of our school days and there are no surprises..which is what my schedule thriving son needs!

We have tried several different "systems" for organizing our days. What works the best has been the simplest. Each of my kids have their own bin with their books and materials that sits next to them at the table. I have my bin with TM's and the books I would read aloud or the subjects I "teach". They just pull out the book they need and go down their lesson plans and check off as they go.

I have my older kids drill each other their recitation and vocab when I need to work with a younger one. I have made the weekely recitation into flash cards which has been wonderful this year

Simple post-it notes for place holders in the lesson plans and student guides have made getting situated easier.

The Dvd's for Latin and composition have been a tremendous help with teaching!

That's all I have for now
        Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
        DS 15: 10th, MPOA: Latin & HS Comp II
        DD 12: 7th, MPOA: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con
        DD 9: 4th using 3A
        Twin DD's 7: 1st

Comment

Angela,

How do you download tests and quizzes? Thanks!

Comment

These are all extremely helpful- thank you so much and keep them coming!
            ~Marisa

DS: 8 years old, 3A for 2018/2019

Comment

If you bought a teacher book directly from MP, just email them (Jessica, I think?) and they will email you the tests/quizzes for all the subjects you have purchased. Not sure if there is a way to do it if you buy the books from another seller. Anyone else know that?
              2018/2019

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                My favorite thing to share about MP is that the curriculum (and the folks!) is worthy of your trust. So much material about homeschooling makes it seem as though if you are not taking advantage of the freedom to put it together yourself, you are not meeting the needs of your super-individualistic child. I knew of this mindset early on, but stubbornly thought there must be someone out there who had it altogether and could provide all of what I wanted in one place. After trying five different full curricula,, and numerous pieces of others, I can honestly say that MP is like no other.

So the best thing I would suggest as you get started on this homeschooling journey, is to trust the path MP sets forth. Many courses did not make sense to me at first, as they are very different approaches from what others provide. This hesitency lead me to be late to the party on several things. But once I gave everything a fair shot, the wisdom of each approach became clear, and has been wonderful.

It can also be hard to see others around you jump from one program to another, sharing some "great new find" with you and resist the urge to tweak and change course. Speaking from experience, it is not worth it. The classical approach of MP takes time, and consistency, but is well worth the lack of experimentation.

Of all the things I could share, that would be #1.
                AMDG,
                Sarah
                Sarah, I just love reading your posts on this forum! Seriously, every time I read what you have written I feel so inspired and reassured about the path we are on. Thank you for taking the time to write out such great replies!
                2018/2019

Comment

Angela,
                  Thank you for your kind reply! I am glad to be helpful, and am happy to share what a blessing MP has been for us. We all need support to keep at this difficult task...this forum is a great way for all of us to keep going, you know? Have a great evening!

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  DS, 16
                  DD, 14
                  DD, 12
                  DD, 10
                  DD, 7.5
                  DD, 5.5
                  +DS+
                  DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by Angela View Post
                    If you bought a teacher book directly from MP, just email them (Jessica, I think?) and they will email you the tests/quizzes for all the subjects you have purchased. Not sure if there is a way to do it if you buy the books from another seller. Anyone else know that?
                    If you purchase an individual teacher guide from our website, your account will automatically be granted access to download the quizzes as a PDF. An automatic email is sent out with instructions if this is the case.

However, our website does not do as well when the teacher guide is purchased as a set. In that case, you will have to call or email us so we can add the file to your account.

As long as you have the teacher manual, we will be happy to provide you access to the quizzes (provided it isn't a course like Logic where the quizzes are sold separately--in that case, we provide the PDF when you purchase that book of quizzes). Just call or email us.

Kind regards,
                    Paul
                    Paul Schaeffer
                    --
                    Director, Schools Division
                    Memoria Press

Comment

OT: tv, when necessary!

Well, I think this counts as a tip and a trick. When we have to sacrifice school time for sick time, we still try to make the most of our down time. Like today, when everyone is recovering from a week of more flu. We are really picky as to what they get to watch, but we have found a fun resource. It is the Wild Kratts show from PBS that is available on Netflix. In a super-fun way, the brothers Kratt teach an amazing amount of information about all kinds of wild animals. They use real terminology, and repeat terms frequently throughout the show so that it is deceptively educational! There's the trick....kids think they get to watch cartoons....I get to sneak in some great nature material! Score!

AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      DS, 16
                      DD, 14
                      DD, 12
                      DD, 10
                      DD, 7.5
                      DD, 5.5
                      +DS+
                      DS, 18 months

Comment

Us too!

We've had a stomach virus ALL week, and I went to the library and loaded up on Bill Nye videos. We've been alternating between those and Wild Kratts! My son keeps asking me "Did you know xyz about such an such animal?" I'm glad the week's not been a total loss.
                        ds 7, dd 5, dd 3, ds 1

Comment

Oh Molly, I am so sorry....but we have been with you! Started last friday for us..ugh! Hope healing is headed your way...and ours!
                          AMDG,
                          Sarah
                          DS, 16
                          DD, 14
                          DD, 12
                          DD, 10
                          DD, 7.5
                          DD, 5.5
                          +DS+
                          DS, 18 months

Comment

Hi-Ho Silver!

Molly and Sarah,

You did so much better than me. We were blind sided with sickness on Tuesday night. It started with me having a fever of 103 for two days. Then it hit our daughter. I'm fully expecting this awful stuff to make the rounds. In the meantime, my very neglected, but super happy 8yo boy has overdosed on old black and white episodes of The Lone Ranger. Not very educational, Kimosabi! It wasn't a total loss, in between disc changes, I made him do math and we managed to finish reading Benjamin Bunny today.

I hope everyone feels better soon.

Melisa

Comment

Branching off of the spiral notebook idea, I was wondering if anyone has tried slicing off the binding of the workbooks and then three-hole punching them. My thought is that I could put all of my son's workbooks in one large binder with divider tabs and then he'd have everything in one spot instead of having to keep multiple notebooks neat on his shelf. We sometimes struggle with organization around here.

Thinking about it, it may still be difficult for him to write in, I'm not sure.
                              Jodi
                              ~~~~~~~
                              2019-20 School Year:
                              Ethan (7A)
                              Matthew (5A)
                              Silas (1st)
                              Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
                              Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

Comment

Working...
                              X