Adam of the Road poetry question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question regarding the poetry page on rhyme and meter at the end of the Adam of the Road. The Teacher's Guide does not tell the answer for Enrichment question #3, in which we try to find the meter and rhyme scheme for the poem at the beginning of the book. We think it is iambic tetrameter for the first 3 lines of each stanza, but are not sure what to do with line 4. We also think the rhyme scheme is AAAB for each stanza. I wondered if anyone tell me if we are right. Thanks so much!

Melissa
    Cincinnati, OH
    DS-10, DD-9, DS-7

Hi Melissa,

You are exactly right; the first three lines in each stanza are in iambic tetrameter. And yes, the rhyme scheme is AAAB. The fourth line in each stanza is a dimeter line (two feet), but I tend to read the dimeter as two different types of feet: the first foot is iambic (unstressed, stressed), and the second foot is pyrrhic (unstressed, unstressed). So the four syllables (two feet) in the closing line have only the second syllable accented, followed by two unaccented syllables. This creates a nice feel (and sound) of closure at the end of each stanza.

I hope this helps.

David M. Wright
    Literature Curriculum Director
    Memoria Press

Comment

Thanks David! That helps a lot.

Melissa
      Cincinnati, OH

Comment

Working...
      X