Patterns of Nature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patterns of Nature?

Jessica was kind enough to send me a PDF of second grade enrichment weeks 21-24 today, since we start week 21 on Monday. In the Science section for weeks 21-23, there's a book referenced called Patterns of Nature. I searched online and saw that it's a Rod & Staff second grade science book.

I'd love to add it in for the rest of our year, but I was wondering if the final version of the enrichment guide will have assignments from it starting from the beginning, or if it's only used from weeks 21 forward, or if it was just left in by mistake.

If it is meant to be and I wanted to get it, is the teacher's manual required?

Michelle,

We added Patterns of Nature to the second grade enrichment recently. It was included after we had printed the initial few weeks of the guide. The book has been divided into most of the 33 weeks though not every week will have a lesson. We liked that the lessons not only taught science but also gave extra practice in reading!

There is a small teacher's guide available.

At the same time we added Patterns of Nature, we added a historical reader. "Stories of Great Americans for Litte Americans " has been sent to the printers. It includes short but informational stories about Washington, Franklin, Jefferson and many others and is written in text replete with interesting vocabulary. Many of the larger words are broken down into syllables to aid the beginning reader in their decoding skills. As with P of N, the stories have been included in many but not all weeks. This gives parents the freedom to use the remainder of the books at their discretion.

While Patterns of Nature includes both reading and writing activities, Stories of Great Americans is only a reader.

We are very excited about both these additions!

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Comment

I love Patterns of Nature, so glad to hear you've added it in and it will be scheduled. I used it years ago with one of my olders and really appreciated it's beauty and simplicity.
      -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
      2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
      Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

So will these science and history readings be used on Thursdays and Fridays with the Enrichment studies instead of the original science/ social studies topics that go along with the read alouds for the week? Is there still a tie-in to the book of the week, or are they pretty much independent?
        We're only on week 8 of our Enrichment guide, and I actually already have both Patterns of Nature and Stories of Great Americans... I like both of these resources and would be glad to use them.

Comment

I recently purchased the second grade lesson and enrichment plans for use next year. Do I need to repurchase them to get these updates? At what point will the final new version be available, so that I only need to get them - again - once?

Thank you-
          Dawn

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Both P of N and SGA are scheduled among many of the 33 weeks of curriculum but not all stories are scheduled nor do all weeks have additions. Stories were selected for a week because they tied into either the Read Aloud or literature. For example in Little House in the Big Woods, Pa encounters a panther. In SFGA there is a story about a panther so we added it to the same week Pa encounters the panther. The tie in didn't really have anything to do with the enrichment but with the literature.

Not all the lessons in either P of N or SGA are used so there will be lessons to use at your discretion. For example, in P of N there is a section on Pets. That lesson doesn't really fit neatly into our curriculum but an individual family considering a new pet would find it quite useful. Likewise when you get SGA I suggest going through the Table of Contents and marking the lessons we use. That way you know which are not tied into the curriculum and which you have available for extra reading practice or for an impromptu history lesson.

These additions are intended to enhance the current enrichment lessons not replace. They are added mostly on Thursdays and Fridays.

Dawn, if you call into the office at [email protected], they will get you an updated guide.

Blessings,
              Michelle T

Comment

Michelle,

You are welcome!

Blessings,
                Michelle T

Comment

Working...
                X