4 yr. old for Kindergarten?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maggie,

I would definitely suggest moving over as soon as possible. Abeka's reading program uses only phonetic readers through the primary grades. Memoria gets young readers into classic literature as soon as possible, first grade. Then it teaches the phonics necessary for success with those books!

Ideally, she should get the books we read in first grade and begin working her way through those. Then start second grade with our program. Sooner is better than later.

Blessings,

Michelle T

Comment

Thank you Michelle!
      -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
      2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
      Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Maggie,

You are very welcome!

Michelle T

Comment

No need of Abeka after 1st grade

Maggie,

I stopped Abeka with my two oldest after Kind. And started reading the classics she does not need to continue especially after 1st!

HTH!

Comment

First Start Reading

I can't praise FSR enough. it is so very simple and thorough. I started my third son on FSR in January of 2014 (along with the rest of the kinder core). He was just older than 5 and 1/2, and could recite the alphabet and not much more. He is now working on week 23 of MP grade 1 core. He just tested at a fifth grade level on his state required reading test. He and I both enjoyed the FSR reading lessons tremendously. It was very incremental - not overnight success. I was actually surprised when he was able to read Little Bear at the start of grade 1 with some effort. (We are using the older version of the grade 1). The pacing of each book scheduled has been perfect for him, and he read Billy and Blaze more easily and is now flying through Ping. FSR (like so much of MP) has illustrated how simple and effective the "slow and steady for mastery" approach can be. What joy we have found with First Start Reading, Rod and Staff Math, the Form Series and everything else. Our family has been using MP exclusively for three years, and there isn't one curriculum piece I don't rave about.

Anastasia Heder
            using grades 7, 3, 1 and Jr.K

Comment

Anastasia,

FSR is the best! It is great to hear stories of success. My favorite aspect of each year is watching students morph into readers who are confident in their ability and excited to share their new-found knowledge!

FSR is simply the best!

Blessings,
              Michelle T

Comment

Working...
              X