Seond grade handwriting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seond grade handwriting

Sorry for all the questions lately! It is cold here in Michigan and I have been sick so I have been looking ahead to next year now that the updates are mostly on the website. Am I reading correctly that second grade has cursive practice sheets, copybook cursive scripture and poems, new American cursive 2 and Prima Latina copybook? That seems like a disproportionate amount of handwriting because all those literature guides have handwriting as well. Can someone please explain the logic? I think I will have a mutiny next year with that much copy work and I need to know why I am fighting the battle ;-). Thanks!

Dorinda
    Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
    15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Freshman
    DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
    DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
    DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Dorinda,
    I have a current second grader....and yes, we have all those books...but it is not as bad as you think.

The Prima Latina copybook is scheduled one day per week, as part of Latin work. So it does not really seem like handwriting.

The copybook is more of a pre-Christian studies, because they read from the Golden Bible one day, memorize the Bible verse another day, copy the verse another day, and finally illustrate it. So again, it does not seem like handwriting.

The only book she does every day as "handwriting" is the New American Cursive book. So on paper, yes, looks like a lot. In practice, it is not really too much.

Hths!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Dorinda,

In second grade, we are transitioning students to writing entirely in cursive because we want it to be second nature for them when they move into third grade. It is so nice for our third grade teachers when the students can write fluently in cursive and are ready to roll with the more academic work required in grammar school. We used to start cursive in third grade, and that was a nightmare because we were expecting more work from the students, and they were writing more slowly. This is so much better in the long run, and our second grade teachers tell us that they have no problem making the transition to cursive-only in their classrooms. So books like the Prima Latina Copybook are used for students to practice writing their Latin vocabulary words for the week. This is something they would do anyway in Latin (not additional writing), but we provide the Copybook to give them the help with their cursive. They can copy the words that they see in cursive rather than writing them free-hand, so we are working on vocabulary and cursive at the same time!

Tanya

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I knew there was a reason because it sure sounds like a lot when you look at the book list. It makes sense now.

Dorinda
        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
        15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
        DD College Freshman
        DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
        DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
        DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Working...
        X