1st grade Literature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st grade Literature

Just a quick question... For 1st grade literature should the student be able to read the selections themselves or should we be reading them aloud? My son did great with Little Bear but once we got to Caps for sale he has struggled. I almost feel that for him to enjoy it and get anything from it right now I need to read it to him.

I take it as the student is meant to read the Story Time Treasures/ Reading selections (thus the repeats) and the parent reads the Literature/Enrichment selections.

I wouldn't hesitate to read the Reading book to them first before they read it.

With Caps for Sale, I read it. She then read parts of it. We watched it read and slightly animated on YouTube. She read more parts of it, and I helped when she struggled. And then I printed out some Caps for Sale printables and a coloring page. Then she reads more as to the lesson plans until finished. Also as to the lesson plans with the Story Time Treasures lessons.

http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2015/02/13/caps-sale-free-resources/

I mostly read the Literature and Enrichment choices unless she just starts to. I don't ask her to.
    Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
    Trekking along at a student self-pace...
    DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
    DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
    DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
    DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
    DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
    Blog: Creative Madness Mama
    @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Steph22904,

CherryBlossomMJ is correct in that the intention is for the child to read the selections. The books were chosen for reading levels not listening levels. As you said, we want our students not only to enjoy the books but also to learn from them as well. The enjoyment of the book comes from getting to know the characters and understanding the unique and intriguing storyline. Also the sense of accomplishment from having read a classic piece of literature or from seeing a book they read in the library or at the bookstore and knowing "I read that". All these are enjoyments of the book. Memoria's reading books are literary pieces used to continue their leaning and enhance their reading ability.

The first time reading through an assigned section will usually go slowly as the child is practicing his decoding skills (with guidance-not telling the word- in decoding from mom/teacher). Below is the routine our classrooms go through during their reading time. It may be what you are already doing in preparation to read or it may have some strategies you could adopt to enhance your reading time. Please know you are the best teacher for your child and you have the freedom to adapt or adopt any or all of this as needed. There is no universal trick to make learning to read easy.

Prior to reading, pages in Story Time Treasures are done. These pages contain difficult words the student will encounter in the reading selection. It will also go over new vocabulary that must be taught in order to have good comprehension.

After completing these pages in STT, the teacher should look over the selection and pull out any other words they think might be difficult for their reader. These words should also be reviewed prior to reading. In our classrooms, teachers write these additional difficult words on the board and review them by dividing them into syllables or highlighting and discussing new phonograms. Of course some common words, as listed on pg. 120 of Classical Phonics, may be encountered. These are just taught as sight words.

So the introductory STT pages have been done. You have gone through the reading selection and pulled out for review any words you feel need introduction. Now you are ready to read the selection. At this point ideally the student should read the selection aloud to you; but, he may still encounter difficulty. It is okay! We are learning. Hopefully any problem words are one of the words already introduced either in STT or by you on the board. In this case you could say, "Remember we had this word" and then point to it on the board. Sometimes that will be enough to jog their memory. However, sometimes you may need to guide him through this process by breaking the word into decodable chunks , usually syllables, and modeling how to figure it out. On occasion you may need to remind him of the sound a new phonogram makes (i.e, oi says /oi/ as in coin). Because this first time reading through the pages is a learning process, it may take a while.

The next time the selection is read. Go through the new words again prior to reading. This time when the student reads the selection he should be faster. With each subsequent reading he should gain fluency and speed.

Of course in the classrooms we have several students taking turns reading aloud, unlike a home-school situation. It is always fine to modify the reading by taking turns with your child reading. Just be sure while you are reading he is pointing to the words and following along. On the second time reading the selection, be sure the student gets an opportunity to re-read some of what he read previously to gain that fluency and speed I mentioned. Give him practice decoding by having him read some of the pages you read before as well.

I pray this is helpful.

Blessings,
      Michelle T

Comment

Working...
      X