X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelle T
    replied
    Christi,

Age was not really the indicator here for placement. The placement advice was based upon the fact that the reading was so far advanced. Most times I suggest going through the FSR program even if a child is reading a bit because so much more than just reading is introduced in the material.

For a child reading completely by sight with no tools to figure out words phonetically, FSR is needed. It will give a gentle start to the handwriting as well. Sounds like your child is placed exactly where he should be. And, since he is older and probably has a longer attention span, you might find you can move more quickly through the FSR program than a younger kindergartener could.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Leave a comment:

• 4Brightdays
    replied
    This is really interesting. My son will be turning 7 in May and we are just starting K. His fine motor/writing is horrible. So I am glad for that placement. His reading is moving along quickly on his own, but completely sight word based. I personally tend to lean to the side of having some things be easy for success also so I don't have to modify a ton of stuff.

Good luck.

Christi

Leave a comment:

• Angela
    replied
    I also agree with second grade. My son started as a very young 7 year old (actually he started about a week before turning 7) and has been doing fine. He definitely doesn't love to write the answers to the questions in the lit. guide, but we take it slow and I don't make him do too much writing in a single day. I just expect that what he does write is done well and not sloppily. The reading, Latin and everything are right on target for him and nothing has been too difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Michelle T
    replied
    I agree with Momgineer. Second grade sounds like a good fit for her reading ability if she has the comprehension to accompany her decoding. In addition, if she has already been taught to form her cursive letters correctly, you could just do the second grade cursive as well. It is not a big leap from Cursive I provided you have been introduced to formation and just require practice. That way you wouldn't have to piece together between grades and could do the entire second grade year, minus the math of course.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Leave a comment:

• momgineer
    replied
    Personally, I would do 2nd. With a Sept birthday she will be a young 2nd but not by much. MP now offers two tracts for 3rd and up so after a year of 2nd you will know if she needs to slow down a bit and can use the moderated 3rd or if she is excelling and can move into the accelerated 3rd. You can use cursive 1 instead of 2 if her handwriting is not ready for book 2 yet.

Leave a comment:

• EmilyGF
    started a topic placing 6-year-old

placing 6-year-old

Where would you place a 6 year old (turning 7 in September) who can read fluently? She can read "The Mouse and the Motorcycle," but doesn't write very well. She's learning cursive, but very slowly. I'm happy with our math curriculum and won't be changing to Rod and Staff.

Help appreciated.

Emily
Working...
X