New 7th grade plans---Grammar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 7th grade plans---Grammar

I used the 5th plans with my 6th grader this year, so the new 7th grade plans (using many components of the accelerated 6th) are going to be just right for us. I'm excited about that.

However, since we did R&S 5, I am concerned about jumping to 8th. I was planning to use either 6th or possibly 7th. We have only done R&S and wish to stick with that program. The 5th grade book was on the easy side for him, but not TOO easy. Which R&S book would you recommend?

I'm wondering about this as well. I was planning on R&S 6 with the 7th grade plans too.

Comment

Hello.

The R&S Grammar books are like their math books. They have the same concepts, like parts of speech, and they begin with practice students already know, moving then to new material. If you feel more comfortable with the 6th grade program, then I think that is fine. We can always switch it out for you. Then, you could move to the 8th grade book and either do it in one year or two. There's really no rush since we finish with grammar after the 8th grade book. Do what feels right for your family. There is no right or wrong here!

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,
        Thank you for the reply. In your opinion, would moving from successful completion of the 5th grade book to the 7th grade book be too big of a jump? I know that is hard to answer, given you don't know my son. I thought it a possibility only because MP skips from 6th to 8th. Perhaps you don't even carry the 7th, I'm not sure.

Comment

Hello.

We did look at the 7th and 8th grade English books, and they have the same information in them except that the 8th grade one goes a little further with phrases and clauses. You can see the Table of Contents for the 7th grade book here:

http://www.milestonebooks.com/item/1-127--/?list=Building_Christian_English_Series

and the 8th grade book here:

http://www.milestonebooks.com/item/1-128--/?list=Building_Christian_English_Series

They are very similar!

But the books are also quite inexpensive, so if you would feel better using the 6th grade one first, I don't see a problem with that. It is also a very thorough look at English grammar. Or you could get the 8th grade one and try it. If it is too intimidating, you can always put it aside for a year and pick the 6th grade one up. But R&S does such a good job of explaining the lessons that I don't think you will have any trouble with the 8th grade one. And you could just skip the more difficult lessons for now and come back to them the next year.

Tanya

Comment

Lemonade...

I don't know if this helps. We are going to go with the 6th grade book. For me one deciding factor was when do I want to be done with formal English Grammar. If I use book 8 that will be the end. My daughter is turning 12 and will need more than this final year of grammar. That isn't true for every 12 year old, but it's true for her. So if I do book 6 next year I have at least 1 more year of grammar studies available. She will get grammar with her language studies but for her I've decided I want another year of R&S too.

Comment

Wait... I just noticed that RS 8 is scheduled over two years so even if you choose RS 8 in 7th you will still have English grammar studies for 2 years. Hmm... might need to think about this more.

Comment

3girlsforus,
                It sound like we are thinking the same way. I am leaning toward ordering the standard 7th core and just keeping the 8th R&S English that comes with it and look through it thoroughly when it arrives. Then, I am going to go to a local bookstore and browse the 6th and 7th and purchase one or the other, according to what it looks like "in person." I do not think my son can handle the 8th text, just based on the milestone samples Tanya linked to.
                That way, when we get ready to order for 8th grade, I won't have to add on the English book since it isn't part of the 8th grade package.
                Have you decided what you will do?

Comment

I think we are going to do R&S 6 next year. I think it will be challenging enough without being too overwhelming. We will be beefing up work in other subjects plus she still struggles with math so I don't want to overload her everywhere. R&S gets really challenging in the upper levels.

Comment

3girlsforus,
                    I know this thread is now old, but wanted to share that after more thought and discussion, we are going to do the R&S 6th English text for 7th grade, too. My son really needs each and every lesson, and sometimes the worksheets, too. I talked to ds and he benefits from the incremental approach to mastery (those weren't his words, of course, but his description meant exactly that). I think what has made this necessary is the fact that he was in ps until this year, and he was so very confused on all grammar concepts. I'm fine with being a grade level down in the sequence. The slow but steady progress I'm seeing sure beats the previous confusion.

Comment

Thanks so much for the update. You summed up exactly what I've been thinking about this. I have R&S 6 and recently purchased R&S 8 used figuring I'd use it at some point anyway. I was going to look one more time to see if I should go that route but that nagging feeling just kept saying 'no - stay with 6'. Your post just verifying that feeling. My daughter is definitely the incremental approach to mastery as well. Besides R&S is pretty hefty grammar. I know lots of people who use level 6 with jr high. I don't think we will be sacrificing anything or even actually be "behind".

I hope you have a great year. Let me know how things go for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X