No announcement yet.

My lesson plan dream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to add my name to this list -- I would gladly pay for this option!

I've tried everything over the years -- using the editable PDF template, creating entire Word templates on my own, and this year, I went old school and am back to the white labels. I would love to swap the subjects in my order, and have a customized guide arrive in the mail. (I'm very spoiled, however, as having the curriculum guide at all is wonderful. Thank you for that!)

I used K12 materials as an independent when we first started homeschooling. Although the curriculum wasn't really a fit, I LOVED their tracking software. Each day you opened it up, and it listed the next lesson in each subject for the student. It was a planning godsend and I'll include this on my big-picture-fantasy list for MP.

That said -- MP is absolutely worth it, even if this option never arises. I'll just keep ordering Avery 6728 labels by the case....
    DD 11 - MP6A

Comment

Originally posted by hermione310 View Post
      I'm going to add my name to this list -- I would gladly pay for this option!

I've tried everything over the years -- using the editable PDF template, creating entire Word templates on my own, and this year, I went old school and am back to the white labels. I would love to swap the subjects in my order, and have a customized guide arrive in the mail. (I'm very spoiled, however, as having the curriculum guide at all is wonderful. Thank you for that!)

I used K12 materials as an independent when we first started homeschooling. Although the curriculum wasn't really a fit, I LOVED their tracking software. Each day you opened it up, and it listed the next lesson in each subject for the student. It was a planning godsend and I'll include this on my big-picture-fantasy list for MP.

That said -- MP is absolutely worth it, even if this option never arises. I'll just keep ordering Avery 6728 labels by the case....
      Hold the phone - when you say labels, do you mean you print the individual lesson plans on labels?? Why have I not thought of that! I feel like you have just saved me loads of time copy/pasting and typing into the blank PDF planner. This current year, we’re using a bit of a ‘cherry picked’ selection of subjects to prepare a bit for popping into a full core next year. I’ve been hand-typing/C&Ping 4 weeks at a time, combining all the individual lesson plans.

You’ve just made my day. Even next year, for the subjects that we’re not at grade level on, we could print the labels and stick them over the Grade Manual plans for those subjects.

New MP Mama - late to the party, starting in middle school! :cool:

DS13: MP Charter Edition: FFL, FMOG, CC Fable/Narrative, FSFrench, Poetry for Grammar Stage, Book of Insects, 7th Grade Lit studies

DD10: MP Charter Edition: Grammar School Latin, FMOR, FSFrench, Poetry for the Grammar Stage, Book of Trees, 5th Grade Lit studies

[url]www.upabovetherowantree.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by AboveTheRowan View Post

Hold the phone - when you say labels, do you mean you print the individual lesson plans on labels?? Why have I not thought of that! I feel like you have just saved me loads of time copy/pasting and typing into the blank PDF planner. This current year, we’re using a bit of a ‘cherry picked’ selection of subjects to prepare a bit for popping into a full core next year. I’ve been hand-typing/C&Ping 4 weeks at a time, combining all the individual lesson plans.

You’ve just made my day. Even next year, for the subjects that we’re not at grade level on, we could print the labels and stick them over the Grade Manual plans for those subjects.
        I'd love to take credit for this, but it was pickandgrin's great idea. I use labels in 2 ways -- when I started this year's curriculum guide, I printed the PDF lesson plans for the MP subjects that I substitute on full-sheet labels. (I print these at 80% scale to fit in the curriculum manual). I then cut and paste these as needed in the CM. I couldn't find full sheet labels at any local store, even at office supply stores like OfficeMax. I found some on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use smaller labels (Avery 6728 multi-use removal labels work well) when I need to make a quick change for a single day, or for non-MP subjects. For example, we substitute an outside Algebra course for the 6A math selection. I don't have PDF lesson plans for this course, so I cover all math entries in the curriculum manual with these smaller white labels, then write in the day's math lesson on the label. I'd still need to do this even if I had customized lesson plans from MP, but it would be much less work than replacing all MP courses that we change for a given grade.
        DD 11 - MP6A

Comment

Ugh....I have spent a lot of time putting stuff into the Homeschool Planet digital planner. I would LOVE to just print their assignments out at the beginning of the year and hand them their own guide - it even has check off boxes built into it. But...as the wise man once said: "No plan survives first contact with the enemy".
          So...the day before I print off the next day's assignments - one page for each kid, and one for me. Mine is tailored to include me as a student for the classes that I'm absolutely completely and totally leading. It's too complicated to see the page of 14+ assignments across 3 kids. Then, at the end of the day, I'll know if I didn't get to something (like Art) and I can reschedule it for the next day. Then print all pages for the next day. I'd love to do even a week at a time..but it has never worked out. I'm always rescheduling for something...Zoo, Museum, sick....laundry...

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
            Ugh....I have spent a lot of time putting stuff into the Homeschool Planet digital planner. I would LOVE to just print their assignments out at the beginning of the year and hand them their own guide - it even has check off boxes built into it. But...as the wise man once said: "No plan survives first contact with the enemy".
            So...the day before I print off the next day's assignments - one page for each kid, and one for me. Mine is tailored to include me as a student for the classes that I'm absolutely completely and totally leading. It's too complicated to see the page of 14+ assignments across 3 kids. Then, at the end of the day, I'll know if I didn't get to something (like Art) and I can reschedule it for the next day. Then print all pages for the next day. I'd love to do even a week at a time..but it has never worked out. I'm always rescheduling for something...Zoo, Museum, sick....laundry...
            I love the idea of Homeschool Planet, but it is a lot of work to put in all of the information. Have you considered a less techy option? Sarah MacKenzie had a great idea on her blog a few years ago. She suggested using cheap spiral notebooks and writing down the day's assignments for the kids every day. I only have one child that I'm doing that for right now, so I don't know how sustainable it is for multiple children, but I think it could work fairly well. I like doing that for my daughter, even when she couldn't read very well, because she could see what she had left to do. It makes the day seem less overwhelming.
            I desperately needed to simplify homeschooling (again). Who knew all I needed was a ten-cent notebook and ten minutes each evening?
            --Amanda

DD #1 - Second Grade Core
            DD #2 - Jr. K

Comment

I've really wanted the low tech option to work. Where I fail is the unexpected interruptions. The tech-y planner is a lot of work on the front end at the beginning of the year, but super easy during the year. but if you have a total day interruption, it's a 2 second total adjustment. All assignments move to the next scheduled school day. All three kids. Done. Also, it's only really intensive for a new grade level that you haven't done once before. So, if you've spent the time putting in all of the 1st grade Lit assignments, when next kiddo comes along, you just load it in as a class. Again, about 2 buttons. All that work isn't lost.

Want to do your own copy book for Bible Verses so that at least 1 book is the same for all? No problem. I used a website called handwritingworksheets.com, created a PDF file for a bible verse, then printed it 4 times per kid per verse. Right now, everyone is memorizing all of Psalm 23. Next is the Lord's Prayer. It took a while to create the PDF files from the handwriting worksheet website, but once saved, I just copied each one 12 times (4 for each kiddo), put them together and bound them in a spiral book. I bought one of those nifty coil spiral binder makers on Amazon so they have a solid book that stays in good shape for the whole year. I'm doing the same for artwork. Using notebookingpages.com, I snagged the art piece for the week, created a template PDF page, and put some basic information about the artwork on that page. I downloaded all the PDF pages - 33 total. I'm using 1st grade enrichment for this. Put them into a single PDF file. Printed. Spiral coiled. Bound. If I don't do something more than just showing them the picture and talking about it, they immediately forget anything about it. I like my coil binder. Later, I can uncoil it, add the next year's art work, put a bigger coil on it, and keep it as a running art collection.

Anyways, this allows me to align everyone on a few subjects. I had to do my own copy book because we didn't learn cursive in 1st. We are learning it now. But I couldn't do this without something allowing me to do an easy reschedule. If anything, the one real benefit to it is that it isn't a scheduler...it's a re-scheduler. It just would be a thing of beauty to not have to type it all in at the onset. They do have the lesson plans for Latin for sale on the homeschool planet website. I'm going to get that bundle. Pay $24 once, the entire Latin program from Prima Latina onward is done. Load for each kid as applicable by year. That's a great deal of typing I don't have to do.

Comment

They do have the lesson plans for Latin for sale on the homeschool planet website. I'm going to get that bundle. Pay $24 once, the entire Latin program from Prima Latina onward is done. Load for each kid as applicable by year. That's a great deal of typing I don't have to do.
                Good afternoon,

As you all know, we unfortunately do not have any of our plans currently available via Homeschool Planet. This includes Latin. Whoever is selling those plans is not us, so we cannot vouch for their accuracy (or legality). I just wanted to let you know they were "unofficial" before you spent $24 on them.

HTH!
                Michael
                Memoria Press

Comment

Oh no! I hope they aren't selling MP's plans without permission!
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
                  Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
                  DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
                  www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Comment

Yikes. Seriously? [Edit: Removed a link. -Michael]
                    Then these guys are up to something they shouldn't be. Here is the link I was talking about.

[Edit: MBentley, now that we have the link and have begun investigating, I have removed the link from your post. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention. -Michael]
                    Last edited by Michael; 02-09-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Yikes. Seriously? [Edit: Removed a link. -Michael]
                      Then these guys are up to something they shouldn't be. Here is the link I was talking about.
                      Oh boy. Sounds like a DCMA should be heading their way.
                      Last edited by Michael; 02-09-2019, 01:51 PM.
                      DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
                      DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
                      DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
                      DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
                      DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
                      DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
                      http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

Comment

That's why I'm posting it. You guys need to know if someone is marketing illegally off of your stuff.

Comment

That's why I'm posting it. You guys need to know if someone is marketing illegally off of your stuff.
                          We appreciate the information, MBently. We will now do some research to determine what is gong on here. Hopefully it's just a big misunderstanding
                          Michael
                          Memoria Press

Comment

Michael. Thanks for removing the link. I don't want to be part of something shady. You guys should know if they are using your name.

Comment

I posted this elsewhere. What I have learned is that I can "share" what I've spent the time typing in. It's free to share stuff with someone who has an account. This will not in any way replace curriculum guides though. But what i can do is if I've spent the time typing in all of the assignments for Reading for 1st or 2nd grade, I can share my own personal lesson plan with a friend. Or the entire list of artwork or read aloud books. You can share by individual class. That's free to do. If anyone wants it, I'm happy to share. Whatever helps us put it all together when you have lots of kids in lots of cores with some combined and others on their own.

Comment

Working...
                              X