My lesson plan dream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My lesson plan dream

I would be very willing to pay a $10-$15 surcharge to be able to do the following:
    Customized printed lesson plans! How great would it be if we could mix and match levels and get it all printed in on lesson plan rather than having a bunch of individual subjects laying around!!!
    For instance: my daughter is doing the current 4th grade as a 5th grader. Now you have the moderated plans so she can use 6th grade (old 5th grade) next year, but you mixed up the composition on me! She is taking Fable now per the 4th grade plans. Next year's moderated 6th grade uses Chreia/Maxim. So for someone transitioning from the old plans to the new we miss a level. I would love to customize my plans to get Narration written into the plans rather than having plans with Chreia in them and having a separate Narration plan sheet. Also because we use different math and spelling so I would love to have blank spaces on those subjects so I can write my own. Right now I sticker over those which makes my book very thick.
    Another example: next year my son will do accelerated 3rd but will only be in cursive book 2. It's a very minor change to the lesson plans but would be convenient. Then I would also leave his math and spelling blank.
    I hope I am explaining my wishes well. I can see something like this: a form where it lists each subject in a grade and lets us choose which level we want printed in our custom plans or if we want a subject left blank. Then we get mailed a regular looking lesson plan book but inside the daily work is for the actual level we need. Seriously, I would pay good money to be able to do this!
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 23, graphic design and illustration major
    DS, 21, mechanical engineering major
    DS, 19, Dual chemistry and Philosophy major, considering Catholic seminary
    DS, 16, Kolbe 11th grade
    DD, 13, dyslexic, MP 8M
    DS, 10, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 5A
    DD, 4 (in Aug 2017), cutest little interrupter of school ever, some MP Jr K if we fit it in.

Momgineer,
    We've talked about this in the past and I think there's simply no way to do it with the formatting system/software they have in place. I'm sure Tanya will chime in, but that was my understanding. I'll be ever whiting-out Latin for my son who started with Prima in third because I was too chicken for LC1. True story.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Comment

I know, but I can still dream! The technology is easily available, probably just costs too much for the few people who would utilize it. Maybe if enough people say they are willing to pay, they might invest??? I'm in serious dream world mode today!
      DS, 16, Kolbe 11th grade
      DD, 13, dyslexic, MP 8M
      DD, 4 (in Aug 2017), cutest little interrupter of school ever, some MP Jr K if we fit it in.

Comment

This was my dream too...I am getting use to the individual plans though...I put them in a very small binder with dividers, and I just turn to the section I need next...
        Tahara

Homeschooling three boys
        DS -16 (9/4/00)
        DS -12 (9/9/04)
        DS -11 (7/3/06)

Comment

Individual plans is what I have with Kolbe, that's why I want to switch fully to MP. For now, only Math and Literature are not inline.

Comment

Yes, indeed, Momgineer! I would PAY!
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
            Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
            DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
            www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Comment

I would totally pay to have the lesson plans swapped out on my main plans when I switch out a subject. It bugs me how messy everything looks when even one subject is different and it makes it hard to give to my kids when it is all crossed out and written on. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard to do, but apparently it is harder than I think it should be.

Dorinda
              Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
              DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
              DS 10 - 5M
              DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

I have no idea what kind of software we would need to get this done. I am technologically at a loss! I'll do some research and see if we can figure it out.

Tanya

Comment

My computer savvy husband and college daughter both agree this can easily be done using a spreadsheet like Excel. They said to use spreadsheet tables. create a table for each subject and then just link to that table in each full lesson plan file. My daughter said she has not done this exact thing but given half and hour of googling she thinks she could find instructions for how to do it.

Suggestion: Perhaps this could be a great independent computer project for a Highlands high schooler or an MP homeschooler???
                  DS, 16, Kolbe 11th grade
                  DD, 13, dyslexic, MP 8M

Comment

This is something we might be able to do, but all our lesson plans are currently formatted in InDesign, not Excel. We feel like we can figure out how to do it within InDesign, but it is a long-term project that will take some time to develop and implement. Also, we don't have computers in our classrooms or computer classes at HLS! We figure the students are going to learn to use computers on their own, and it's not the best use of our time. We are still pushing pencils onto real paper at HLS!

We do have this project on our minds though, and we are talking about it, so that is the first step!

Tanya

Comment

I just talked to my graphic design major daughter who has owned Adobe Creative Suite since she was 16 and has extensive experience using InDesign for magazine layouts. She says you can import Excel (or Open Office spreadsheets) into an InDesign layout. She said you might have to hand transfer the data from InDesign to a spreadsheet but once the spreadsheets are built, the InDesign template can be programmed to import the spreadsheet information into nicely formatted InDesign layouts. She offered to be an intern for hire and build this for you if you are interested. It would benefit MP too (not just your customers) because it sounds like currently every time you tweek a lesson plan (say you update your First Form plans) you have to manually change 3 files- the First Form stand alone file, the accelerated 4th file and the moderated 5th file. This would allow you to change it once and be updated in all 3 sets of lesson plans. Gotta love technology!
                      I realize your Highlands students don't use computers in class, but I bet you have a few students (or homeschool online students) who, like my current college sophomore, are very interested in computer applications and spend lots of time at home learning programs like Excel and InDesign. Like I said before, my daughter has had Adobe since she was 16 and she did some magazine layout, logo design and computer graphic creations as both a volunteer and a consultant even as a high school student.
                      DS, 16, Kolbe 11th grade
                      DD, 13, dyslexic, MP 8M

Comment

When I purchase the MP PDF lesson plans for the subjects that we use, I use Adobe software to convert them to Word format. Then I can cut and paste different subjects together into one master plan. That way I can change our Latin level, substitute our different Math in, etc. It is not difficult to do yourself. HTH!
                        Delectare Literature 6A/7M Discussion Moderator
                        DD 15 - MP Logic and various Lit guides
                        DD 17 - DE, spending Spring semester volunteering in Ukraine

Comment

That is what my husband said he would do for me. The downfall is I would have to buy individual plans which is more expensive. Then after all the cut and paste work, I would still have to pay to print it out and have it spiral bound if I wanted to mimic the MP plan book which I love. That is why I would be willing to pay extra to get it from MP.
                          DS, 16, Kolbe 11th grade
                          DD, 13, dyslexic, MP 8M

Comment

Anyone using Homeschool Planet? What would be awesome is if they put the master plans out there on that site, and we could purchase the individual classes, then load the coursework per class per student. As it is, I have to type in a lot at the beginning of the year, but then I can work off of one screen for all 3 (nearly 4) kids.
                            Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
                            DS (MP1) - 7
                            DS (K) - 5
                            DD (Adorable distraction) 2

Comment

I just wanted to chime in and say that I would LOVE this option as well. I was originally attracted to MP because of the beautiful, organized lesson plans. However, I soon realized that those beautiful lesson plans just wouldn't work for us. For one thing, my 2nd grader has never had cursive so he's doing NAC 1 with my 1st grader this year. We also don't do R&S math. Not such a huge deal this year, but in future years, I could see it as an even bigger issue because I will be combining some things and basically just rearranging 3 different cores to meet the needs of my family. Honestly, I feel pretty deflated about this because it seems like a whole lot of work to have to work through 3 cores and write daily lesson plans for everyone on different levels. I would love to be able to digitally cut and paste and just give my 3rd graders on up their own planner so that they can check off the boxes as they do their work. Just my input-that the ability to do this would be a huge blessing.

Comment

Working...
                              X