Famous Men of Rome and Greek Myths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous Men of Rome and Greek Myths

First off, are the stories in FMR true or just stories? I am thinking of the story of Romulus. How do you explain to children the Greek Myths and the need to study it. Some of the stories in FMR remind me of Bible accounts. How do you explain all this to the kids? Susan

While Roman history is mostly viewed as fact, the more fanciful stories (like Romulus and Remus being raised by a she-wolf) were seen much like how we view the story of George Washington chopping down a cherry tree. Those stories encapsulated the morals and virtues the Roman people esteemed. As we Americans look to Washington for an example of honesty, the Romans looked to Romulus as a sign of the gods' favor towards them. So I would say they are generally true, but some are untrue but valuable stories.

Young children (3rd-4th grade) do not need to know that Washington did not cut down the cherry tree or that Rome was not founded in exactly 753 BC. But neither do we have to say, "This is absolute fact." It is important that the child know that date because it is the traditional time given for the founding of Rome. A professional historian would say that isn't true, but he would also know that it has its own value since that is when the Romans considered the beginning of their city.

Other homeschool moms please chime in and let us know how you approached it with your kids and whether your kids even ever asked if these stories were true.

Have a great day,
    Paul
    Last edited by tanya; 01-28-2015, 03:52 PM.
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Academy Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Disclaimer - we are not using the MP curriculum for this yet.

We have been reading a lot of Greek Myths this year, my first grader really enjoys them. At no point have I had to tell her they are not real, she immediately decided they weren't, because of our beliefs (one God, he created everything, etc). Instead, we talk about what the meaning of the story may be, or why the Greeks might have told that story. We have even compared stories for similarities in themes.

If it concerns you, you could always talk before hand about what legends and myths are, and how they can be found in a lot of historical stories.

HTH

Comment

Susan,
        We have a wide range of ages, so this has come up for us in a lot of different ways and I have been able to grow in my ability to address it with them. Early on, we read the Greek myths because the D'Aulaire's book was awesome, and my young kids loved it. They knew these gods were gods with a little "g", and that the stories were the way one people sought to explain where they, as a people, came from. I simply explained that they hit on some of the right "truth," but not all of it, because God had not revealed it all to them yet.

As my children have gotten older, and studied ancient civilizations again and again, they are beginnig to appreciate the connections between the belief systems of Greece, and then Rome, and how it all relates to the thread of salvation history, which is itself, fascinating. It did not seem like we were "preparing" for anything when we started in on the myths so many years ago; but that led to us really enjoying the Famous Men books, and more recently, the Mills books. Now, reading the Iliad with my daughter has been such a joy because we were so well prepared ahead of time. This thread of study has carried over into our understanding of other "subjects" as well....religion, Latin, science, history....it makes for an amazing jouney. Hths!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+