The Iliad: a thank you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Iliad: a thank you

Hi folks! I just finished discussing Books four and five of The Iliad with my eighth grader, and I think we are getting the hang of it. I was quite nervous to begin this course, as it has always seemed very intimidating, being such an important work. I had to take a moment to say "Thank You" to you guys, MP, for making it so accessible for me to teach!

I was actually on the ball and got the Iliad read before we started into it, and I am finding that was somewhat helpful....but even more so is the amount of help in the guide. It has taken us several lessons to realize how to use it all to our advantage, but it has been well worth the effort. I am so grateful we are reading the whole thing, and that it no longer feels like a, "how will I ever do this..." behemoth anymore.

Thank you!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Will you share how you are using the study guide to your advantage? How does a daily lesson go? Are you reading the whole text aloud, as I think the study guide recommends? I'm interested, since I may be teaching this next school year.

Thanks!

Julie
    Julie

2016-2017:

DD 19 -- homeschool graduate attending community college
    DS 17 -- 12th grade using variety + MPOA Chemistry
    DD 12 -- MP 7A

Comment

Sure thing! I am waiting for her to do her math, so I have the book right here with me.

First, I am glad I read it again this winter, shortly before we started. It helped me to have my own reactions to the book, even if I was not "studying" it. My enthusiasm and appreciation of it are higher.

Second, the notes about teaching Homer in the front of the guide are very good advice. This will most likely not be her only time to ever study this text, nor would it ever be possible to say, "I have learned all about the Iliad." There is a wealth here, and we are narrowly trying to get a part of it. Being reminded to keep ourselves on track with the material in the guide and not worry too much about tangents is helpful to keep in mind.

As for reading aloud, no, unfortunately we are not going to read it all aloud....we do not have time. But, we will pick parts to read aloud (we did read book one, because of the great speeches, and will pick more down the road) Again, if you have to pick, this is where having read it comes in handy also. I know the parts that will be really highlights to read aloud. I think we are still ahead of the game in that she is actually reading the whole thing!

We do a lesson by first quizzing on the highlighted material from previous lessons. Does not take long, maybe up to 15 min. This is made easier because my guide lists exactly what to have them highlight for each lesson. Time saver! The teacher notes remind me to instruct her on how to prepare for quizzes and tests, too.

After reviewing, I read the background info for the lesson to her. Then we go over all her answers, and the discussion questions, for which I have help in my guide. I tell her the new things to highlight, go over an essay or assignment if there is one, and do a preview of the next book. That is it!

We will take between 45 - 75 minutes depending on interruptions, and how many books we are doing at once. It is a quick pace....a book a day, for the most part...so we have been combining, as finding a solid chunk of time together does not happen every single day. But is has been great....better than I had hoped!

Hths!
      AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Just wanted to slip in and share that last year my two studied both The Iliad and The Odyssey. I did read aloud the entire verse translations (Robert Fagles, quite fond of him). The MP student and teacher guidebooks were excellent. Very helpful to have some background information, teacher guidance etc. We loved the whole reading aloud experience: very much a highlight of the day! I do recommend reading them aloud in their entirety, if at all possible. It is a lot, yes, but so very worth it if you have the time and energy.
        homeschooling mother to a 16yo boy & 18yo girl, both learning at the high school level, and an adult son whom I homeschooled all the way through. You are welcome to read more about our homeschooling life at my blog: link via my username. Please forgive any typos in my comments here! I'm disabled and can't always type clearly.

Comment

Thank you both for your replies!

Another question: If you were going to try to lead a small group of high schoolers through both the Iliad and the Odyssey, and you could meet, say, twice a week, and you wanted to have time to both read aloud the entire texts and discuss them, could you do it in a year? How long would each session have to be, do you think?

Thank you!

Julie
          Julie

2016-2017:

DD 19 -- homeschool graduate attending community college
          DS 17 -- 12th grade using variety + MPOA Chemistry
          DD 12 -- MP 7A

Comment

Julie, it would be possible, i think yes. The length of time would depend in part on which translation you use, verse format vs novelized ..... I myself definitely prefer (as mentioned) the Robert Fagles verse translations ... They each have 24 Books (chapters) which vary in length, fifteen to thirty pages, give or take? (Glancing through my copies here).

If it were me leading a small group of high schoolers (and I used to do that sort of thing), I would say two ninety-minute sessions per week, reading aloud a book/chapter each session. That would be time for reading and discussion. I'd have them do the student guides as homework outside of the meet together time.

For us at home, with me reading aloud daily, it took six months to complete both The Iliad and The Odyssey, I think. We lost some time in there due to illness .... Maybe it was less.
            Last edited by EllieCove; 01-30-2015, 10:15 AM.
            homeschooling mother to a 16yo boy & 18yo girl, both learning at the high school level, and an adult son whom I homeschooled all the way through. You are welcome to read more about our homeschooling life at my blog: link via my username. Please forgive any typos in my comments here! I'm disabled and can't always type clearly.

Comment

Working...
            X